Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Much as I like the M135i I could have gone EV for my usage. I'll probably keep it for 12-18 months, see how the market is and look to change at that point. My wife has a 320i for our long-range needs so an EV makes sense for me I think.

Caporegime
I think if your journeys are made up of shorter trips, local commutes and around town then electric is the go to choice these days.

Which is one of the reasons ive gone for a hybrid with a 66 mile all electric range. Most of my pottering around driving can be covered on 100% electric. I did consider two cars but we have too many cars already so didnt want anymore parked at home!

And when going long distance I dont have to worry about range. Will look at going full EV in 3 years time. there will be more choice and better cars by then.

Caporegime
I’m a car enthusiast and I like EVs.

We all like different things, which is cool, just don’t think your own views have to be matched by others… especially when you suffer a little with your car history :p

I may have had 2 or 3 complete lemons, but there have been a lot of fun cars mixed in, and I've only lost about £2500 over 7 years in total thanks to the couple I made a decent profit on.

Try owning something flash for 7 years and only losing that much. :p

I agree that for cities with dense populations and an abundance of charging points, EV's are probably the way forward. Elsewhere, I remain to be convinced...

And as another poster said, it would be more environmentally friendly if everyone kept what they have now for the foreseeable.

My antics don't count, everything I play with is 10 - 30 years old, I sell cars in better condition than I buy them in, and I don't do many miles. Basically everyone should be like me for the good of the planet. :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whereas being in a 1997 Nissan Primera is?

If it is this one than yes.

preview-768x432.jpg

Caporegime
Whereas being in a 1997 Nissan Primera is?

On a good backroad, yes.

Have you forgotten the joy of driving a moderately slow car with excellent chassis dynamics in anger? :(

If you're only EV experience is a roller-coaster ride in a Tesla, then you've not even scratched the surface of what an EV can offer. :)

Maybe. But for me the primary draw for a car is that it should be fun or at least interesting to drive.

In my mind an EV will never fill that role, because it is missing several important aspects of the experience of driving, which are very important to me and many others.

Last edited:
Soldato
And as another poster said, it would be more environmentally friendly if everyone kept what they have now for the foreseeable.
That's something that normally stops most EV bores in their tracks. EVs are great, sure, but when people try to say they're saving the planet by driving one... :p

Caporegime
So for clarity, you are still at the point of having not driven one?

Yawn. I don't need to drive one to know its not for me. Riding in one is enough to give a good idea of the experience.

You probably don't need to stick your wangle in a toaster to know its not for you, yknow? The video you watched was enough. :p

It all comes down to noise, vibrations, gears, non-linear power delivery. Its half of what I love about driving. Its why I don't understand the craze of EV converting classic cars. You're removing everything which made driving it an experience. I'd rather just not have the car at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm squarely in the middle - for a day-to-day, family-type car EV makes perfect sense. Especially with the plethora of 300+bhp models that are way quicker than you need in this type of car, meaning even in "boring" scenarios they've got plenty of go for fully-laden overtakes etc, and they certainly don't handle like boats VS other saloons due to the low CoG, they're a great drive in a different way.

However, would I buy an EV as a weekend car? Certainly not, nothing I've driven is close to a real petrol car for the "theatre" of the drive. Just like I wouldn't buy a 5 series for a weekend car.

Soldato
Yawn. I don't need to drive one to know its not for me. Riding in one is enough to give a good idea of the experience.

You probably don't need to stick your wangle in a toaster to know its not for you, yknow? The video you watched was enough. :p

It all comes down to noise, vibrations, gears, non-linear power delivery. Its half of what I love about driving. Its why I don't understand the craze of EV converting classic cars. You're removing everything which made driving it an experience. I'd rather just not have the car at all.
I read a post like this 100 years ago.

"It all comes down to noise, vibrations, four legs, trotting and a mind of its own. Its half of what I love about horse riding"

Your last point is spot on though. Car ownership is pretty dumb, ignoring all of the emotional reasons set out above in my horse example too. They get old, need to be maintained, they take up a lot of space. The sooner we can "summon" an electronic car from a pool of vehicles parked up in some underground facility I don't have to look at, the better.

For the fringe actors involved like car enthusiasts, most of us drive fairly mundane "performance cars" anyway. The public road isn't the place to be experiencing our driving thrills - so again, summon an electric car to pick you and your mates up and go to a track and drive a pool of proper petrol-head vehicles - yes please.

Caporegime
I read a post like this 100 years ago.

"It all comes down to noise, vibrations, four legs, trotting and a mind of its own. Its half of what I love about horse riding"

Your last point is spot on though. Car ownership is pretty dumb, ignoring all of the emotional reasons set out above in my horse example too. They get old, need to be maintained, they take up a lot of space. The sooner we can "summon" an electronic car from a pool of vehicles parked up in some underground facility I don't have to look at, the better.

For the fringe actors involved like car enthusiasts, most of us drive fairly mundane "performance cars" anyway. The public road isn't the place to be experiencing our driving thrills - so again, summon an electric car to pick you and your mates up and go to a track and drive a pool of proper petrol-head vehicles - yes please.

Truly the most horrible and thoroughly depressing post I've ever read on this sub-forum. Thanks.

You clearly don't like cars, so why do you post in here?

Man of Honour
Truly the most horrible and thoroughly depressing post I've ever read on this sub-forum. Thanks.

You clearly don't like cars, so why do you post in here?

Indeed.

I am a car enthusiast, but more on the side of luxury and practicality as well as performance - think more M760Li than 911. With the obvious exception of true supercars, of course, Lamborghini/Ferrari et al.

I find EV's interesting, I've done many miles in a Model S 100D and iPace, and thought both were great. They serve their purpose very well, and they are actually enjoyable to drive. Tesla build quality is definitely a bit patchy, but not a deal breaker if you like everything else.

That said, for many car enthusiasts it's about the manual, oil and petrol aspect of things, which I totally understand too. I bought an MX5 earlier in the year and while it was good fun, I actually enjoy driving my 7 Series more.

Each to their own, I say.

Caporegime
I'm squarely in the middle - for a day-to-day, family-type car EV makes perfect sense. Especially with the plethora of 300+bhp models that are way quicker than you need in this type of car, meaning even in "boring" scenarios they've got plenty of go for fully-laden overtakes etc, and they certainly don't handle like boats VS other saloons due to the low CoG, they're a great drive in a different way.

However, would I buy an EV as a weekend car? Certainly not, nothing I've driven is close to a real petrol car for the "theatre" of the drive. Just like I wouldn't buy a 5 series for a weekend car.

Same, age does that to all of us! Sure I would be thinking the same if I was the same age as ACME.

Back
Top Bottom