Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/3367678

A15 Geekbench GPU Metal scores are also out: 14,216 for iPhone 13 Pro. iPhone 12 received ~9000 and M1 gets ~20,000. That's some serious GPU gains. With some extrapolation, it seems like iPhone 13 Pro has the same GPU power as Geforce 980.

Ignoring thermal throttling in iPhones, these metal scores are generally good indicators of performance differences between Apple's own products and their generational gains, but can't compare to non-Apple products directly as Metal is only iOS/macOS.

Nothing for CPU yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Very tempted by the 13 pro max, although I'm happy with my 11 pro max 256GB.

I thought the amount Apple offer on the trade-in (£115 iirc) was a bit of a joke, being truthful about one slight scratch on the front. Similar condition 11promax/256GB are going for over £500.

Soldato
I was one who wanted more ram when we were only getting 4gb, but since last years upgrade to 6gb it has been perfectly fine. No need for even more ram at this stage

Yeah I'm not one of those who always wants more ram for the sake of it, but going up to 8GB would have helped with future proofness. Not an issue for those of us who replace our phones every 2 years.

Soldato
Not that I really care as I don't play mobile games, but I found it interesting that the first benchmarks today showed the iPhone 13 pro's gpu is nearly 60% faster than the previous generation and it's just 30% slower than the M1 found in laptops

Soldato
Not that I really care as I don't play mobile games, but I found it interesting that the first benchmarks today showed the iPhone 13 pro's gpu is nearly 60% faster than the previous generation and it's just 30% slower than the M1 found in laptops
Impressive !

Soldato

Easier at this point to just compare it to consoles. iPhone 13 Pro sits somewhere between PS4 and PS4 Pro in terms of raw GPU power. With the CPU power that these chips have, the hardware is already capable of 1080p AAA gaming at console settings. An M2 GPU would likely only be slightly less powerful than the PS5 GPU. Apple will likely catch up to Amd/Nvidia within 24-36 months.

What's lacking is the availability of AAA games and software infrastructure, which I believe is coming in the next couple of years. Apple will likely enter the high-end console market once they finish the mac transition, after they buy a few game studios and bribe the rest to make their AAA games for iOS/tvOS/gameOS or whatever Apple ends up calling it.

--

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/09/15/a15-geekbench-cpu-gpu/

A15 CPU results are out. 10% increase in single-threaded, 18% increase in multithreaded compared to iPhone 12's A14. These usually get better as more benchmarks are out. Looks like we have minor increases, likely due to higher clocks (~8% higher). Looks like very minor tweaks, probably focus has been on improving efficiency cores, and general efficiency of the chip.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a bad idea at all. I wouldn't be surprised if at some stage Apple launch a gaming version of its Apple TV 4K boxes which came equipped with something like the M2. But they do need some games for it, it wouldn't work if it gets stuck with normal iOS games

Soldato
It's not a bad idea at all. I wouldn't be surprised if at some stage Apple launch a gaming version of its Apple TV 4K boxes which came equipped with something like the M2. But they do need some games for it, it wouldn't work if it gets stuck with normal iOS games

The hardware is more than ready to compete against consoles, it's a matter of AAA game availability that is non-existent but it's inevitable that Apple goes for that market as it fits very well in their goal of becoming a services/content company. They will make their 30% cut too, lol.

Soldato

They could always pair up with Epic games.

Oh wait... :p

Soldato
Very tempted by the 13 pro max, although I'm happy with my 11 pro max 256GB.

I thought the amount Apple offer on the trade-in (£115 iirc) was a bit of a joke, being truthful about one slight scratch on the front. Similar condition 11promax/256GB are going for over £500.

Wait another year - there’s essentially no difference other than the 120 Hz screen and 5G.

The 11 Pro Max was a big step up from the XS.

Plus, you’ve got the last iPhone with the nice curved body. Much more user friendly :)

Caporegime

Gaming on an iPhone is a great way to quickly ruin battery health. Or at least it was for me playing Golf Clash on an X.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Yeah I'm not one of those who always wants more ram for the sake of it, but going up to 8GB would have helped with future proofness. Not an issue for those of us who replace our phones every 2 years.

I dont always upgrade, maybe once every 3-4 years. When we were only getting 4gb you could see the problems it had, background apps (I usually have a lot open) always had to refresh, but with the 12 pro, 6gb has been very good and i never have any issues.

Soldato
When we were only getting 4gb you could see the problems it had, background apps (I usually have a lot open) always had to refresh, but with the 12 pro, 6gb has been very good and i never have any issues.

I looked for reviews comparing the 4 vs 6gb iphones back when the 12 series was released, but couldn't find anything. Then I stopped looking, but it's good to hear your personal experience is a positive one with the extra RAM. On my 4gb iPhone 12, it shut down apps far more than I wanted - particularly games, which are closed out of memory almost immediately.

Associate
If they add the USB C next year, Ill upgrade. Dont really see much point from going from 12 pro max to 13. Smaller notch yes, gpu performance gains yes, pro motion (which should have been in the 12) yes, camera improvements meh i think most of their recent lines shoot quite well anyway. They just need to get rid of the lighting port already, or be silly and make some strange lighting v2 port which supports usb 3 speeds, just because its Apple.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Can't decide what to replace my XS with currently, had it 3 years now. I find it so frustrating that we don't get any heads up on contract prices until it's too late to pre-order with Apple for fast delivery if they're rubbish :mad:

Soldato
Can't decide what to replace my XS with currently, had it 3 years now. I find it so frustrating that we don't get any heads up on contract prices until it's too late to pre-order with Apple for fast delivery if they're rubbish :mad:

Telcos will be absolutely rubbing their hands together, ready to sell you an £80/month contract for a 128gb 13 Pro Max. Why not buy 0% from Apple direct and then go SIM only?

Back
Top Bottom