• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Associate
Well, the "next" Threadripper is coming in November, apparently. I'd like to think it's getting the 3D chiplets because it's going to be a real slap in the face if it doesn't. Considering it was originally rumoured for August, it's possible those stacked chiplet yields are going great guns and there's enough to populate Ryzen and Threadripper SKUs, so release was held off a couple months.
Delay could be due to many reasons but I like the idea of AMD having a top notch product. That may keep the prices more reasonable.

Soldato
It's also not untill Jan anyway from an article I saw on the subject recently.

The issue we have as tech enthusiasts is waiting.

From now untill Jan is still quite a while away.

It's not like any of the 5000 series are bad CPUs or slow so if you have a NEED then I think it's not warranted to wait.

If it was 2 months away then I'd say wait.

Sure Alder Lake will drop prices. But then it depends on need.

Soldato
I've seen one place selling the 5950X for £530 which only £30 more then what OCUK are selling the 5900X at. I wonder how he's able to sell it so cheap? Smuggled in bulk from China? VAT scam?

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Presumably that 768MiB includes the 32MiB already included in each chiplet since the lump o cache stacked onto a chiplet is 64MiB. So to be super accurate, AMD can stack a maximum of 512MiB into their CPU designs.

That's a metric f-ton of cache and only 1 stacked layer to achieve it.

Associate
So the question is, how much L3 3D cache can AMD stack on a CPU right now?

why I'm glad you asked

the answer is 768mb!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ExecuFix/status/1438420566243950595?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1438420566243950595|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-epyc-milan-x-specifications-leak-out-up-to-64-cores-280w-tdp-and-768mb-l3-cache

I want to imagine a future where the CPU has 20gb cache and the PC doesn't even need RAM anymore

You're basically talking about a SOC... Good if you like to throw away your device instead of upgrading.

Caporegime
OP
Presumably that 768MiB includes the 32MiB already included in each chiplet since the lump o cache stacked onto a chiplet is 64MiB. So to be super accurate, AMD can stack a maximum of 512MiB into their CPU designs.

That's a metric f-ton of cache and only 1 stacked layer to achieve it.

Right 768MB of L3 Cache.

I'm looking at my 5800X and thinking 32MB, that's quite a lot for an 8 core CPU, Intel are only putting half that on the 11900K.

Along comes Zen 3D and slams a gigantic 768MB L3 willy on the table!

Soldato
Right 768MB of L3 Cache.

I'm looking at my 5800X and thinking 32MB, that's quite a lot for an 8 core CPU, Intel are only putting half that on the 11900K.

Along comes Zen 3D and slams a gigantic 768MB L3 willy on the table!

I remember looking at Intel’s super high end (£10k plus per CPU!) 4/8 core Xeon line up with 60mb of cache and thinking that’s a lot of cache to work with.

A few years later and AMD have beat Intel by a factor of 12!

Oh and the small difference of 16x the cores and for less money.

Caporegime
OP
I remember looking at Intel’s super high end (£10k plus per CPU!) 4/8 core Xeon line up with 60mb of cache and thinking that’s a lot of cache to work with.

A few years later and AMD have beat Intel by a factor of 12!

Oh and the small difference of 16x the cores and for less money.

Its going to be very interesting to see what Zen 3 can do with that much cache to blow Ops out in to.

The CPU tech war is definitely back on with AMD once again making all the innovations that matter. Sorry if that comes off as fanboi'ish but its true and not for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom