****Age of Empires IV****

Soldato
I've seen this being released and a few of my Steam friends playing this but I'm hesitant to get involved myself. This game had a time and a place for me (1999!) and I played it (and the Conquerors expansion) to death back then, but I'm thinking it had its time and place and that I wouldn't actually play this much or would get bored fairly quickly.

I think, for me, this game is best confined to a happy place in my memory that doesn't particularly need revisiting sadly.

Soldato
I've seen this being released and a few of my Steam friends playing this but I'm hesitant to get involved myself. This game had a time and a place for me (1999!) and I played it (and the Conquerors expansion) to death back then, but I'm thinking it had its time and place and that I wouldn't actually play this much or would get bored fairly quickly.

I think, for me, this game is best confined to a happy place in my memory that doesn't particularly need revisiting sadly.

I do kind of agree with you, in a much as Company of Hereos holds that same palce in memory for me... then they went and ruined it... I am interested to see what they do with though and the depth they build into it.

Soldato
I do kind of agree with you, in a much as Company of Hereos holds that same palce in memory for me... then they went and ruined it... I am interested to see what they do with though and the depth they build into it.

I don't think they will/have ruined it per se, its more that it was a game of its time, and that without its heritage it wouldn't stand up as an interesting game in todays world.

Anything AoE is an instant buy from me.

Just bought AoE II: DE - So much nostalgia :D

Looks like we bought it on the same day as you posted on the 15th and I got it on the 15th too :)

First impression: I like how it's the same music but it has been re-done with a different production sound. I like that it has all of the expansions rolled in, plus 4 new civs which brings it up to 35 civs. It also has some good accessibility options for visual impairment with options for UI scale, ClearType font (if you don't like the default Serif) and colour blind options.

For now, I have just completed the William Wallace campaign (again!) and next up is Joan of Arc. Deffo nostalgia :D

Caporegime
Anyone got AoE II DE and play the MP? How come there are 15k players playing right now but I can only find 12 matches to join in the lobby? Surely not everyone is playing single player...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not me. Would love to give it a ago, but happy to wait foe the full release.
+1

Got Age of Empires 3 DE to keep me happy until then. If I can find a cheap steam key on cdkeys I will pre-order. If not will wait for reviews. Usually this type of game benefits a lot from bug fixes and balancing so happy to also wait a while after release for that and to grab it cheaper.

Associate
I got a code and had a quick game just now (day off work :p).

It's much of the same but with nicer graphics, which isn't a bad thing. Few things I did like though....Archers can see further and shoot further if they're on higher ground and spearmen no longer throw pointless spears at things like a wall, instead they switch to fire and burn them down.

I'd really like to see them implement zoom better though, it feels like everything is too close still, unlike games such as Supreme Commander were you can zoom out to a global scale.

I've only played the tutorial so far, will have a few more games later.

Soldato
I got a code and had a quick game just now (day off work :p).

I've only played the tutorial so far, will have a few more games later.

Have you had time to play it yet? If so, care to share what you think of it? Also, if your allowed can you post some screenshots?

Cheers

As bad as AOE3?
I seriously fear this.

I really hope it's more comparable to ao2, but newer.

I know this is too much to ask for, but I would like a new aoe game to be like how they redid theme hospital. They barely changed it. Just made fresher graphics, slightly better controls.

I'd like something the same. Better camera control. Bigger battles with more characters allowed etc.

I tried to play aoe3 recently and gave up after very little time.

Back
Top Bottom