Poll: *** The official iPhone 14 thread (it can talk to satellites, has AOD and everything!) ***

Which iPhone 14 will you get?

• Total voters
Commissario
Post your wants, hopes, rumours etc here.

Will they all have 120 Hz? Will they be portless or will they be USB-C?

One thing you can be sure of, the iPhone 14 will be the "Best iPhone Ever"

BuoS6XY.png

iPhone 14 Pro
Designed for durability.
With Ceramic Shield, tougher than any smartphone glass. Water resistance.1 Surgical-grade stainless steel. 6.1″ and 6.7″ display sizes.2 All in four Pro colors.

Introducing Dynamic Island, a truly Apple innovation that’s hardware and software and something in between. It bubbles up music, sports scores, FaceTime, and so much more — all without taking you away from what you’re doing.

Always-On display. Always at the ready.
Now your Lock Screen is always glanceable, so you don’t even have to tap it to stay in the know.
When iPhone is turned face down or in your pocket, it goes dark to save battery life.

Your photo. Your font. Your widgets. Your iPhone.
iOS 16 lets you customize your Lock Screen in fun new ways. Layer a photo to make it pop. Track your Activity rings. And see live updates from your favorite apps.

A display that’s up to 2x brighter in the sun.

Vital new safety features we hope you’ll never need.

Peace of mind when you’re off the grid.
If you don’t have cell service or Wi‑Fi, iPhone lets you text emergency services over satellite.

Crash Detection calls for help when you can’t.
iPhone 14 Pro can detect a severe car crash, then call 999 and notify your emergency contacts

The Pro camera system gets massively more Pro.
Introducing the all-new 48MP Main camera with an advanced quad-pixel sensor.

Soldato
Jon Prosser has already leaked what it looks like. It will have no notch, instead a small hole punch camera. The rear cameras should be flush with the body and it will still have a lightning port. It will also have rounded iPhone 4 style buttons for the volume.

iphone-14-bonus-6-0-5x-2048x1151.jpg

Soldato
Leaks always ****** me off no end when I worked for Apple.

All the QA people working on pre-announce/pre-release iThings operate under a level of secrecy and security that match those I remember working on restricted and secret projects under the auspices of The Official Secrets Act at BAe back in the 1980s.

It makes your working day a couple of hours longer and little task takes very detailed planning. Getting iThings and test teams into countries that don’t have a secure area in an Apple premises is an absolute nightmare.

The ****storm that kicks off when a secret iThing is misplaced is frightening to behold. People get fired. Careers are ruined.

The ******* that thought they’d try to short-cut the process of getting early iPhone X samples into Russia and ended up with them being seized by the FSB is still employed as far as I know though. Must have a relative in the SMT/on the board.

Caporegime
Much improved charging, standard spec bump, camera refinement and USB-C. I think that's all they really need, maybe 256GB as the base but that's reaching.

Soldato
Yeh but he's generally got a good track record with leaks and he seems very confident on this one.

Prossers track record is like my track record of lottery wins, I don't have one. He's constantly backtracking when he's proven wrong. What he can do is what most people can do and guess a load of stuff and get little bits right.

Soldato
Improved charging needs to happen.
That MagSafe Wireless charging is a waste of time - it's still wired charging with added heat and charging time losses

fez

fez

Caporegime
I will probably get one if they drop the notch and if my X has speed issues by then. I genuinely can't think of many things I use my phone for that any of the latest ones would improve upon much. Phone tech fundamentally hasn't moved on a lot in the past 5 years for the average punter. Better camera, slightly better battery, bit fast, few more niche sensors. The last truly impressive thing for me was the X with faceID. I had to have one. Since then its been largely underwhelming.

Apples move to focussing on services like fitness+ and the cameras is all the proof you need that they are lacking other compelling reasons to upgrade. Persuading people they are pro photographers clearly works though. They sell millions of phones every year to people who don't need them and can't afford them.

Soldato
Feek said:
Personally I think a thread about a phone that's a year away is just bonkers.

:D

No notch and under screen touch ID would be two things that would guarantee me the first time I had ever upgraded twice in two years.

Soldato
Better cameras are gold for the generation of YTers and tik tokers, not that I even know what the latter is!

Just better battery life would tempt me away. I'm still amazed we're still in the position to need to charge the phone every day, or use it quite a bit in the day and start to worry you'll run out in the evening.

Soldato
Under-screen finger print reader is one thing i would really like to see on iPhones and i'm surprised they haven't already done it considering it works well on a lot of other phones :confused:
Works well (for most) but not 100%. Both the ultrasonic and optical variants can be finicky. As someone who had three Android phones with in display readers prior to my 12 I’d take FaceID every day of the week.
In fact, I’d take a capacitive reader built into the power button like the iPad Air before I’d take an in display one.

Soldato
Works well (for most) but not 100%. Both the ultrasonic and optical variants can be finicky. As someone who had three Android phones with in display readers prior to my 12 I’d take FaceID every day of the week.
In fact, I’d take a capacitive reader built into the power button like the iPad Air before I’d take an in display one.
Exactly. Apple won’t implement a finger print reader that won’t work, 100% of the time.

Soldato

My mileage with the reader on the 1+8 (once you fiddled with AOD) is fine but it's mostly my gripe around Face ID/Face Unlock and masks that makes me want to see (a form of) TouchID back.

Back
Top Bottom