Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Really want a case without a screen lip, struggling to find one though. I want a pitaka air case ideally as it has a lip, but not all the way around so it’s easier to wipe away dust, unfortunately they aren’t shipping til mid October. :(

Soldato
Really want a case without a screen lip, struggling to find one though. I want a pitaka air case ideally as it has a lip, but not all the way around so it’s easier to wipe away dust, unfortunately they aren’t shipping til mid October. :(
I got a Caseology Dual Grip for my 12 and there’s little to no lip on it.
However as you say, don’t see any sign of a 13 series one on Amazon yet.

Soldato
I’m really torn on this one. I was all set for the 13 mini, but my most used feature is by far the camera. The gap to the pro camera looks larger this year… Combined with the fact that I absolutely love the Sierra blue, and think the 13 colours are really disappointing compared to the 12, I’m swaying towards the pro. Although I’ve traditionally stuck to smaller phones.

It’s a shame the reviews aren’t allowed to go live before it comes to ordering, a camera comparison would be very useful!

Soldato
Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts?

No need for them really, they go something like this 'offensive introduction --> please like and subscribe -> sponsor -> 6m of recounting the entire event -> 6m of reading the tech specs -> 2m of unboxing and over saturated b-roll of the device -> life and subscribe -> more sponsorship'

:D

Soldato
No need for them really, they go something like this 'offensive introduction --> please like and subscribe -> sponsor -> 6m of recounting the entire event -> 6m of reading the tech specs -> 2m of unboxing and over saturated b-roll of the device -> life and subscribe -> more sponsorship'

You missed out (what seems like) 6 days of talking about the camera.
Camera section of reviews is an automatic skip.

Soldato
You missed out (what seems like) 6 days of talking about the camera.
Camera section of reviews is an automatic skip.

I think I've phased them out, when they're shooting YouTube videos on their RED Cameras and the footage doesn't look much better than someone that's shooting on an iPhone 12 Pro with a gimble I don't tend to take them seriously. Not that I could produce that level of visual clarity on either, I can barely take in focus pictures.

Soldato

Fair point :D it's not much different to the iPhone 12 as far as I can see anyway!

Keen to see what the claimed battery life improvements are like though.

Soldato
I'm wondering what stock is going to be like for this launch. Last year I was surprised to see the mobile operators still had the 12 and 12 Pro in stock for quite some time. Not sure if it's just because nobody cared about the 12 launch or if they were all waiting for the Pro Max which was a couple of weeks after from what I remember.

It'll be interesting to see what availability is like this year. The fact that Apple are launching all models at the same time and in September rather than October for Pro and November for Pro Max suggests that things may be pretty good. I suppose other factors that may help with availability are the current economic climate and from what I've seen, a lot of people just aren't that bothered about any variant of the 13 but I see those same comments with every year's release.

Soldato
I'm wondering what stock is going to be like for this launch. Last year I was surprised to see the mobile operators still had the 12 and 12 Pro in stock for quite some time. Not sure if it's just because nobody cared about the 12 launch or if they were all waiting for the Pro Max which was a couple of weeks after from what I remember.

It'll be interesting to see what availability is like this year. The fact that Apple are launching all models at the same time and in September rather than October for Pro and November for Pro Max suggests that things may be pretty good. I suppose other factors that may help with availability are the current economic climate and from what I've seen, a lot of people just aren't that bothered about any variant of the 13 but I see those same comments with every year's release.
Think its fair to say only the serious Apple fanboys and gals will be upgrading from the previous gen this time round which definitely hasn’t been the case in previous releases. It’ll obviously still sell by the bucket load but can't see the stampede of previous years occurring in the next few weeks.

Soldato
Think its fair to say only the serious Apple fanboys and gals will be upgrading from the previous gen this time round which definitely hasn’t been the case in previous releases. It’ll obviously still sell by the bucket load but can't see the stampede of previous years occurring in the next few weeks.

You can't really base it off those who upgrade every year - a lot of people will likely follow a multi-year cycle now, so each generation sells well because not only are new people to the ecosystem buying, but also people who are on older phones than the year before etc - most contracts alone at 2-3 years because people want the cheapest monthly cost compared to buying expensive devices outright.

Soldato
Yeah, I imagine most people on an iPhone 12 or even 11 already certainly won't be in a hurry to upgrade to a 13, but there's bound to be a number of people on an X or XS that might feel like taking the plunge. Even if it's just for a fresh battery and a year's warranty. We shall see I suppose.

Soldato
You can't really base it off those who upgrade every year - a lot of people will likely follow a multi-year cycle now, so each generation sells well because not only are new people to the ecosystem buying, but also people who are on older phones than the year before etc - most contracts alone at 2-3 years because people want the cheapest monthly cost compared to buying expensive devices outright.

Upgrading every year is more expensive, but isn't as expensive as it seems. They usually let you trade-in your old 1-year-old iPhone for 50% of its release price, or a 2-year-old iPhone for 25% of its release price.

Upgrade every year: £1000 upfront, then £500 per year every year. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 9*£500 = £5,500
Upgrade every two years: £1000 upfront, then £750 every two years. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 5*750 = £4,750

A lot of people might say that they'd rather pay an extra £750 over 10 years (that's an extra £6.25 per month) and have a new phone every year, always the latest and greatest iPhone with a fresh battery.

Soldato
I doubt it'll be the iPhone 13.....it'll be the 12s

My main hope will be for a high refresh rate display (ProMotion) with some sort of implementation of the Apple Watch LTPO screen technology for widgets to be displayed in a low powered state. Perhaps also a smaller notch, but in all honesty that really has never bothered me.
I doubt Apple will ever move away from lightening to full USB-C. Apple's endgame is to have a completely port free iPhone and with the introduction of wireless CarPlay and MagSafe this year on the 12 we are well on the road to this eventual goal. Apple's plan will be to gradually refine the MagSafe charging to increase it's speed to the point it'll charge quicker than a cable.

I almost bit this year, but my iPhone X is still going strong and having used a ProMotion display on my iPad Pro it really is superb bit of technology and I'd love it on an iPhone.

Well…I got what stopped me upgrading last year to the 12 on the 13, but I’ve surprised myself and decided I’m sticking with my iPhone X for one more year….never kept an iPhone this long between upgrades.

When I considered everything I’m more interested in upgrading my iMac to the larger screen model with Apple Silicon when it eventually released next year then I’ll look at upgrading my iPhone.

Soldato
Upgrading every year is more expensive, but isn't as expensive as it seems. They usually let you trade-in your old 1-year-old iPhone for 50% of its release price, or a 2-year-old iPhone for 25% of its release price.

Upgrade every year: £1000 upfront, then £500 per year every year. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 9*£500 = £5,500
Upgrade every two years: £1000 upfront, then £750 every two years. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 5*750 = £4,750

A lot of people might say that they'd rather pay an extra £750 over 10 years (that's an extra £6.25 per month) and have a new phone every year, always the latest and greatest iPhone with a fresh battery.

I mean, I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form - but if you google average trends of people owning their devices - most people seem to think that the trend has changed to people owning devices for longer and longer, I don't know of the veracity of this data, but they seem to be from 'data companies' - I think it's fairly interesting either way, we have a very big push from modern media to buy, buy, buy YouTubers advertising, Celebrities etc, but realistically I don't know many people who upgrade yearly these days both techies and non-techies.

Soldato
Cant make my mind up. 13 pro or 13 pro max.

I’ve the 12 pro which the mrs having as her xs is getting slow. I had a 11 pro max whilst I did like it I also like the 12 pro. Not sure whether go back to max or not

Back
Top Bottom