• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Associate
I just upgraded to a 5900x, 32gb TeamGroup 3600MHz ram, MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk mobo. I'm using a Lian-Li Lancool II case with The Brocken 3 aircooler for the cpu. The system is all setup now but the only tweak I have made in the bios is enabling the XMP profile 1. I accidentally turned on the game boost as well and panicked but managed to locate the change and disabled it again. I have never been comfortable making changes to the bios. Is the standard 3.7GHz with a simple XMP Profile enabling fine or are there other things I should enable for better performance that are sort of safe without endless tweaking?

Associate
I just upgraded to a 5900x, 32gb TeamGroup 3600MHz ram, MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk mobo. I'm using a Lian-Li Lancool II case with The Brocken 3 aircooler for the cpu. The system is all setup now but the only tweak I have made in the bios is enabling the XMP profile 1. I accidentally turned on the game boost as well and panicked but managed to locate the change and disabled it again. I have never been comfortable making changes to the bios. Is the standard 3.7GHz with a simple XMP Profile enabling fine or are there other things I should enable for better performance that are sort of safe without endless tweaking?
Depending on if you just game or do multi core tasks. Turning on PBO to motherboard will open the taps on power to the CPU. After that it becomes more complex and every CPU's silicone is slightly different. I'd love to be be able to give you the magic numbers to type in curve optimizer but they differ from one chip to the next.
Setting the PBO scaler to 10X and 50 or 75MHz max CPU boost override couldn't be an issue. In the curve optimizer menu you should be able to set -10 to all cores too. To get the very best its more advanced and can take hours to a few days to get right.
So PBO to motherboard limits, scalar to 10X and do 50MHz override to start. Then try 75Mhz. and if that's happy start on curve optimizer at -10 on all cores.

Associate
Depending on if you just game or do multi core tasks. Turning on PBO to motherboard will open the taps on power to the CPU. After that it becomes more complex and every CPU's silicone is slightly different. I'd love to be be able to give you the magic numbers to type in curve optimizer but they differ from one chip to the next.
Setting the PBO scaler to 10X and 50 or 75MHz max CPU boost override couldn't be an issue. In the curve optimizer menu you should be able to set -10 to all cores too. To get the very best its more advanced and can take hours to a few days to get right.
So PBO to motherboard limits, scalar to 10X and do 50MHz override to start. Then try 75Mhz. and if that's happy start on curve optimizer at -10 on all cores.

Thanks for this. I don't think I have the balls to start messing around with such settings.

Edited - Reset the bios once more. What I kept accidentally doing is enabling the PBO boost by clicking on the cpu tab next to the XMP profiles. This is a very easy mistake to make in my opinion. It's right there as a selectable option on the home screen even in ez mode. To try and correct that error I instead turned off core boost by mistake.

So to simplify the edit can and should PBO be enabled or not? As for core boost it seems it should have been enabled by default. So I have gone ahead and enabled that feature again. Core boost is fine being enabled right?

One last thing is there anything on Windows 10 that I should enable or disable to improve performance? I read online that the recommended power plan for the 5000 series is the Windows balanced powerplan. In the past with my old Intel cpu's I always used high performance thinking it improved performance but it seems it never made much of a difference. Not sure if there is anything else on the desktop side that can do anything for either the cpu or gpu.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for this. I don't think I have the balls to start messing around with such settings.

Edited - Reset the bios once more. What I kept accidentally doing is enabling the PBO boost by clicking on the cpu tab next to the XMP profiles. This is a very easy mistake to make in my opinion. It's right there as a selectable option on the home screen even in ez mode. To try and correct that error I instead turned off core boost by mistake.

So to simplify the edit can and should PBO be enabled or not? As for core boost it seems it should have been enabled by default. So I have gone ahead and enabled that feature again. Core boost is fine being enabled right?

One last thing is there anything on Windows 10 that I should enable or disable to improve performance? I read online that the recommended power plan for the 5000 series is the Windows balanced powerplan. In the past with my old Intel cpu's I always used high performance thinking it improved performance but it seems it never made much of a difference. Not sure if there is anything else on the desktop side that can do anything for either the cpu or gpu.
What I'd do is check which bios the board is running. Might be quite old and have quite outdated coding (agesa)
https://uk.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#down-bios
Go with 7C91vA7 or the beta 7C91vA81(Beta version)
If you are not sure how to do an update,
USB stick NTFS formatted, extract the files onto in. Boot into the bios and boot into flash mode from there.
Once you're done it will reset your bios to defaults.
I'd first just load XMP and save and exit.
To see how changing settings affects performance and how it can affect power consumption and temps use CB23 for a all core workload and HWinfo64. Sensors only to monitor what's going on with the CPU within it's default limits first.
This will give you a base line to see how your cooler handles a 140W heat load (default settings). Default also uses less voltage under load than PBO ect. It scales up with the power limit to allow for higher clocks by using more voltage. For example a 5950x on CB23 runs around 3.95GHz @ 1v using its default (on all 16 cores). If you open the taps it can run 4.4-4.6GHz but uses around 1.3V to do so. They are algorithmic controlled now and very very clever, its just about giving them the cooling and a power limit you and the cooling are happy with for a said level of performance.
https://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/cinebench-r23-downloads
https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

So start at square one and baby steps from there so you get it right and learn a few things along for way.

(25 years of in depth experience talking, can you tell lol. DOS 6.2, Windows 3.1 and a 25MHz CPU many years ago was my starting point)!

Soldato
Anyone have any ideas or normal.

Recent 5950x owner, great CPU but it runs HOOOOT.

Like 87c while gaming with its own custom waterloop nearly 1 metre rad space on its own at stock.

Strange thing is cinebench, prime etc it only runs like 60-65c.

A lot of the time seems to idle around 40-60c as well on balanced profile.

Tempted to try a re-paste but not sure really.

Soldato
Is the temps are good when stressing the CPU only but high when the GPU is loaded it seems that it's the heat being expelled from the GPU that is the likely cause. Without knowing your fan set up it's hard to judge.

But if your trying to cool your CPU with the same air that just cooled a 300w GPU for example it make sense that it will be hot.

Associate

Recent 5950x owner but it runs HOOOOT.

Like 87c while gaming with its own custom waterloop nearly 1 metre rad space on its own at stock.

Are you running PBO? or stock settings?
Games are very single thread so the cores get hit with 1.5v. Cinebench at stock will pull around 1v hence the lower temps. If you use HWinfo64 it will give reading on each core for you.
How did you apply the paste?

Soldato

Recent 5950x owner, great CPU but it runs HOOOOT.

40C idle temp is very high in my mind. Got a 5950x here and idle temps are usually in the high 20's...........28c or 29c. Unless on a very hot day where the ambient temp is in the high 20's..............the CPU may well be 32c or 33c................35c at a push.

Soldato
Are you running PBO? or stock settings?
Games are very single thread so the cores get hit with 1.5v. Cinebench at stock will pull around 1v hence the lower temps. If you use HWinfo64 it will give reading on each core for you.
How did you apply the paste?

Applied pretty plentiful pea size MX4, never really had an issue over the dozens of systems i have built over the years.

PBO is enabled in the bios with a basic messing + negative offsets i havent fully tuned it yet. although even completely stock bios it still runs 80c+ in games and idles at about 50c.

Soldato
40C idle temp is very high in my mind. Got a 5950x here and idle temps are usually in the high 20's...........28c or 29c. Unless on a very hot day where the ambient temp is in the high 20's..............the CPU may well be 32c or 33c................35c at a push.
Little strange then, even in the morning when the system is fully cold i've seen no where near those temps, perhaps 38c being my lowest.

Idling now at 1.032v-1.168vish 48c. So pretty strange unless i have something set wrong. Need to be doing something to lower the temps. Pretty much first ryzen system so all new to me how these CPU's work best.

Soldato
Little strange then, even in the morning when the system is fully cold i've seen no where near those temps, perhaps 38c being my lowest.

Idling now at 1.032v-1.168vish 48c. So pretty strange unless i have something set wrong. Need to be doing something to lower the temps. Pretty much first ryzen system so all new to me how these CPU's work best.

In that case, as has been suggested, i think you have a very bad contact between the CPU and your cooling solution. It could be nothing to do with what TIM you are using but could be everything to do with the amount of pressure your using when bolting it up.............almost certainly uneven pressure.

Soldato
In that case, as has been suggested, i think you have a very bad contact between the CPU and your cooling solution. It could be nothing to do with what TIM you are using but could be everything to do with the amount of pressure your using when bolting it up.............almost certainly uneven pressure.

Will definitely give it another repaste then. Was applied very evenly, fair bit of spring force(maxed to the thread) even pressure. unless there is something wrong with the block as its brand new but will double check in a few hours and report back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will definitely give it another repaste then. Was applied very evenly, fair bit of spring force, even pressure. unless there is something wrong with the block as its brand new but will double check in a few hours and report back.

Although i have had my 5950x for some time now, it actually took me 3 re-mounts before i hit the sweet spot for cooling. Just like the 3950x i had, it can take a bit of time and re-mounts before you get it right. Part of the problem is that the cores themselves are not in the middle of the cpu.

Associate
What I'd do is check which bios the board is running. Might be quite old and have quite outdated coding (agesa)
https://uk.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK#down-bios
Go with 7C91vA7 or the beta 7C91vA81(Beta version)
If you are not sure how to do an update,
USB stick NTFS formatted, extract the files onto in. Boot into the bios and boot into flash mode from there.
Once you're done it will reset your bios to defaults.
I'd first just load XMP and save and exit.
To see how changing settings affects performance and how it can affect power consumption and temps use CB23 for a all core workload and HWinfo64. Sensors only to monitor what's going on with the CPU within it's default limits first.
This will give you a base line to see how your cooler handles a 140W heat load (default settings). Default also uses less voltage under load than PBO ect. It scales up with the power limit to allow for higher clocks by using more voltage. For example a 5950x on CB23 runs around 3.95GHz @ 1v using its default (on all 16 cores). If you open the taps it can run 4.4-4.6GHz but uses around 1.3V to do so. They are algorithmic controlled now and very very clever, its just about giving them the cooling and a power limit you and the cooling are happy with for a said level of performance.
https://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/cinebench-r23-downloads
https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

So start at square one and baby steps from there so you get it right and learn a few things along for way.

(25 years of in depth experience talking, can you tell lol. DOS 6.2, Windows 3.1 and a 25MHz CPU many years ago was my starting point)!

Yeah, I had already installed that BIOS version days earlier (the none beta one) I also downloaded the chipset drivers, Realtek audio drivers but didn't bother with the ethernet ones. XMP is enabled. Core boosting is enabled. I think I will just leave it like that with PBO set to auto. I tried Metro Exodus and was getting 53-58 (idle 30) on the gpu and 70 (idle 40-45) on the cpu. Seems a little high on the cpu. I might have to make a thread in the case sub forum to see if I could do anything to get my temps lower.

Current fan / case configuration with the Lian-Li Lancool II Performance and Brocken 3 140mm air cooler is

2 140mm PWM intake fans on the front (stock)
1 rear 120mm PWM exhaust fan (stock)
1 intake and 1 exhaust fan both PWM 140mm's on the cooler as instructed in the manual

It seems I could potentially fit another 4 in the case. 120mm intake on the front. PSU shroud fan and 2 on the top. I suppose this configuration would be intake, intake, exhaust, exhaust. Not sure which PWM fans would be sufficient though and I doubt all of them would be necessary.

Last edited:
Associate
Will definitely give it another repaste then. Was applied very evenly, fair bit of spring force(maxed to the thread) even pressure. unless there is something wrong with the block as its brand new but will double check in a few hours and report back.
Been a 3 chip design you need to spread the paste over the full top of the CPU IHS. I use the Der8uaer offset kit on mine to center the block over the 2 CCD's.
https://www.caseking.de/en/der8auer...et-Custom-Mount-FSD8-034.html?tplview=desktop
Sold out in the UK at ocuk now, so would have to ship from there sister company caseking if you where interested.

Back
Top Bottom