What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Slightly different but bike engines push 100+ bhp from under 1000cc engines and it's normally the rest of the bike becoming uneconomical to keep going rather than the engine going pop that gets them scrapped. Plenty of bikes hit 100,000 miles if their owners want them to.

Caporegime
Nah it spun the opposite way to traditional Honda and with 9k thats probably a fresh sheet paper. Might have been an offshoot from the H22 i guess.

H22 is ringing a bell. Wasn't a modified version but was derived from.

Done some reading. It's f series derived but only loosely. Don't think there were any shared components but shared cylinder dimensions and block/head designs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got around to getting the boost issue with the Abarth looked at. There doesn't actually seem to be an issue with it, no leaks during a pressure test etc. and the turbo spins up fine. It just looks like the gauge is knackered O_o

Associate
Two new GY Eagle F1A5s on the front followed by a Hunter wheel alignment. Earlier in the week (over the course of several days thanks to a sheared lower shock bolt!) I also changed the front springs, shocks and top mounts. I'd take a pretty safe bet in saying what came off was all original parts because of the BMW branding on them, but at the very least they've done nearly 100K with me driving and were completely shot. Very much overdue with 190K on the clock now. Lesson learned for next time - plenty of penetrating fluid, lots of heat, a couple of big hits with a big hammer and an impact gun to get the lower bolts out.

Still don't know if I want to keep the car for much longer, but everyone is telling me to at least get to 200k now that I'm so close.

Soldato
Dropped my MX5 off for its MOT. REALLY hope it passes as it A) lapsed back in August so even a minor fail means it is off the road and B) I'm meant to be going to the owners club event in it on Sunday.

I never let MOTs expire and almost always get them in with the maximum allowable time to retain the anniversary date but circumstances conspired against me this time :( Since our baby arrived there obviously hasn't been much call for a 2 seater :p

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Mondeo failed it's MOT needing two front shocks. Fair enough, but because of COVID and the delayed MOTs everyone is having theirs done this month and there's a 3/4 lead time to get any work done. Managed to find a trusted garage elsewhere (after being turned away by a few) but still won't be for a week. Madness.

Don't even want the car anymore and lost most it's value to pass the MOT. Really frustrating because cars are so expensive I can't buy the car we need (S-Max) without significant compromise so having to stick with the Mondeo for now and the teenager has to wedge bewteen two child seats for journeys.

Soldato
Still don't know if I want to keep the car for much longer, but everyone is telling me to at least get to 200k now that I'm so close.
Man gotta let it get there, my jeep was on 199,921 miles I think it was when the engine valvles let go (LPG took it's toll) was so gutted as I wanted a 200k car. My Mazda Xedos 6 from years ago, I sold on at 197k, that 100% would've gone over 200k no problem as the engine was just incredible.

yeah man, get that 200k in the bag!

Associate
Dropped my MX5 off for its MOT. REALLY hope it passes as it A) lapsed back in August so even a minor fail means it is off the road and B) I'm meant to be going to the owners club event in it on Sunday.

I never let MOTs expire and almost always get them in with the maximum allowable time to retain the anniversary date but circumstances conspired against me this time :( Since our baby arrived there obviously hasn't been much call for a 2 seater :p

Hello fellow Norfolk mx5 owner! Where'd you take it? MOT610 have always been fair to me!

Soldato
Hello fellow Norfolk mx5 owner! Where'd you take it? MOT610 have always been fair to me!
*flips headlight* :p

I took it to Autohouse who are just round the corner from where I work. Couple of guys from work recommended them, only used them for MOTs on the MX5 and the wifes car so far but they'll definitely be getting my business when I need work doing.

Soldato
Well, that time again... wash day today instead of tomorrow morning on the SRT8... takes some cleaning but did it in my dinner hour, not a perfect wash but 95% there. Checked fluids and decided, next week oil change and coolent drop. Oils done 3,600 miles... so it's due...

Soldato
Couldn't believe it when my mum told me what my dad paid for a service, MOT, new front discs and pads from a local independent garage up north, £533.

Seems like a ripoff off to me, if they lived closer I could have done it myself bar the MOT obviously. I priced up good quality branded parts on carparts4less and it came out £90 less than what they charged, and no doubt they can get it cheaper in the trade and probably chose the cheapest parts when it came to the pads and discs. As for the service, not including an air filter for the engine seems a bit suspect also, unless they forgot to add it to the invoice.

What are your thoughts?

S1qnysb.jpg

Soldato
Don’t see anything excessive in there. What’s the service interval on the air filter ?

Looking at the Ford ETIS service schedule, every 3 years "Induction air filter Renew (more often in polluted conditions)".

I was under the assumption an air filter was a annual thing.

Back
Top Bottom