Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Associate
Cant make my mind up. 13 pro or 13 pro max.

I’ve the 12 pro which the mrs having as her xs is getting slow. I had a 11 pro max whilst I did like it I also like the 12 pro. Not sure whether go back to max or not
I had a iPhone 12 Pro Max and im getting a normal Pro this year. The Max is just a bit too big when you are juggling a 7 month old.

Soldato
I've still got my reservation for a 256gb blue pro, but am still in two minds between keeping the XS 256gb I have or not. Few more hours to try and make my mind up.

Soldato
Upgrade every year: £1000 upfront, then £500 per year every year. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 9*£500 = £5,500
Upgrade every two years: £1000 upfront, then £750 every two years. So after 10 years you pay £1000 + 5*750 = £4,750

I could get £225 for my iPhone XS from a well-known recycling company. I could have got more if I'd traded in a couple or three weeks ago. That works out at £2600 over ten years if you upgrade every three years. Rough figures of course. And nobody could really argue that the XS is anything other than a great phone still.

Commissario
Initially voted for 13 pro, but on reflection I think I'll stick with my XR - I don't need a new phone and only use it for socials, whatsapp and the odd photo. Guess I'm getting old?

Soldato
I'm going for the 13 Pro Max.

Currently I have an XR and want the upgraded cameras & my son want's my XR to retire his 7.

Soldato
I mean, I'm not an expert in any way, shape or form - but if you google average trends of people owning their devices - most people seem to think that the trend has changed to people owning devices for longer and longer, I don't know of the veracity of this data, but they seem to be from 'data companies' - I think it's fairly interesting either way, we have a very big push from modern media to buy, buy, buy YouTubers advertising, Celebrities etc, but realistically I don't know many people who upgrade yearly these days both techies and non-techies.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, only that the financial difference isn't all that big between upgrading every year and every two years.

I could get £225 for my iPhone XS from a well-known recycling company. I could have got more if I'd traded in a couple or three weeks ago. That works out at £2600 over ten years if you upgrade every three years. Rough figures of course. And nobody could really argue that the XS is anything other than a great phone still.

Of course, if you upgrade every three years, the gap widens. And if you do every four years, it widens even more. If you don't upgrade at all in 10 years, it's even cheaper. All of that goes without saying. Although once you take it above 18-24 months, you need to factor in the cost of battery replacements, out-of-warranty repairs, etc.

Soldato
How does Applecare+ compare to third-party insurance on iPhones these days? Not interested in the 'theft & loss' version just the regular AC+ for accidental damage cover.

Soldato
Of course, if you upgrade every three years, the gap widens. And if you do every four years, it widens even more. If you don't upgrade at all in 10 years, it's even cheaper. All of that goes without saying. Although once you take it above 18-24 months, you need to factor in the cost of battery replacements, out-of-warranty repairs, etc.

You said that upgrading every year "isn't as expensive as it seems" and used a single example to support your point. When you take into account the wider picture - e.g. a three-year upgrade cycle - then the savings become £3000 over ten years. You might class that as not being very expensive, but it's a not-insignificant sum of money.

Soldato
How does Applecare+ compare to third-party insurance on iPhones these days? Not interested in the 'theft & loss' version just the regular AC+ for accidental damage cover.

It's just a very expensive insurance product, you literally have to pay the insurance premium tax on it too! Just get it elsewhere.

Soldato
It's just a very expensive insurance product, you literally have to pay the insurance premium tax on it too! Just get it elsewhere.

Apple are selling the 'walk into store, walk out with replacement phone' convenience, which to many is worth the premium. It is definitely overpriced, though.

Soldato

Well it's £189 for two years coverage (unless I'm reading it wrong and that's per year) which equates to just under 8 quid a month which seems competitive with third-party insurance.

Soldato
Well it's £189 for two years coverage (unless I'm reading it wrong and that's per year) which equates to just under 8 quid a month which seems competitive with third-party insurance.

I just obtained a check quote from protectyourbubble and they were £8.99 per month for a 13 Pro. It does however include theft, but not loss. Of course there's the hassle of sending the phone off and possibly ending up with a delayed or poor-quality repair, so maybe AppleCare isn't as terrible as I first thought.

Soldato
I just obtained a check quote from protectyourbubble and they were £8.99 per month for a 13 Pro. It does however include theft, but not loss. Of course there's the hassle of sending the phone off and possibly ending up with a delayed or poor-quality repair, so maybe AppleCare isn't as terrible as I first thought.

Exactly - it feels competitive price-wise and the convenience of being able to deal directly with Apple via their stores is very attractive.

Soldato
You said that upgrading every year "isn't as expensive as it seems" and used a single example to support your point. When you take into account the wider picture - e.g. a three-year upgrade cycle - then the savings become £3000 over ten years. You might class that as not being very expensive, but it's a not-insignificant sum of money.

Not sure what you're on about, I gave an example between 1-year and 2-year cycles. That's because most contracts are 2 years and that's how most people buy phones these days. Those who let their phone contracts run over after 2 years almost always pay way over the top rates to networks anyway, so they're not the ones saving money.

There is a difference between 1-year and 2-year cycles, there is also a difference between 2-year and 3-year cycles, so obvious that there will be a bigger difference between 1-year and 3-year cycles than either of those two. Crazy that math somehow works!

Once you shop around and all providers update their rates for new phones (rather than 1-2 immediately after launch), you can get £6pm for basic insurance and £8pm for insurance that includes loss and theft as well. If you're doing multiple phones for the family you can get that cost down significantly too, like in packaged bank accounts or insurance deals (e.g. Nationwide gives you breakdown cover, worldwide travel insurance plus phone insurance with damage/loss/theft protection - up to £1500 - for the whole family for £13 per month).

Soldato
Remember that with Apple Care that you can pay up front and then get a pro rata refund from support if you don't keep your phone for the full two years.

Back
Top Bottom