Greenlizard0 PL & Championship Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 19th Sept 2021]

fez

fez

Caporegime
We are weak defensively no doubt but back when Ole first took over we were fantastic. I think we had the third best defence in the league in his first half/first full season. That was when we were playing three at the back so he can obviously coach it. I am hoping when Scotty can get more time it will get better.

I also think our defensive frailty is due to our midfield and forward players. They are not big on tracking back are they. That will change when Rashford starts getting more game time.

It's really hard to say because we have a lot of issues that are nothing to do with tracking back. On a number of occasions it was simply a lack of pressure or pro-activeness from the players defending. We just stood off them despite having them outnumbered 2:1. It wasn't like the second player was blocking anything. They were just standing a metre and a half off the guy with the ball waiting for him to do something.

Its hard to make much of the first half season of Oles reign because we blew teams away. We had the ultimate new manager boost until we gave Ole his permanent contract and fell off a cliff again. If a manager is coaching something well, it won't get worse the longer he is manager.

Our midfield issues aren't to do with numbers they are to do with patterns of play and movement. Because we don't have any patterns we follow, each player is getting the ball then deciding what to do at that moment. That why you see so many of them strolling around the midfield and why most of our play is so ponderous. We don't play quickly because each player has to take the time to look up and figure out what runs if any are being made.

I think this is why we scored so many goals in the second half last season. Once play slowed down and teams tired in the second half we had more space and time to make those decisions and the opposition were not as quick to close down those gaps. When you are a slow playing team with quality players, a slow game suits you. You have the time to pick those passes slower decision making isn't punished.

Caporegime
It's true though... not sure anyone is going to worry about Man U's title hopes. they look awful, even with ronaldo.[/QUOTE

???

Screenshot-20210919-173516-Chrome.jpg

Soldato
Looking at this again there should be an investigation into why VAR didn't overturn this shocking decision. How long can they keep getting away with this? https://streamable.com/0uawgy
I'm not sure it needs an investigation. In my opinion is a pen but I can see why it wouldn't be given and it needs to be clear and obvious to overturn it.

What I do think is that it shows that we should be able to hear the conversations between the officials. You can in rugby and cricket and it works brilliantly

Caporegime
I'm not sure it needs an investigation. In my opinion is a pen but I can see why it wouldn't be given and it needs to be clear and obvious to overturn it.

What I do think is that it shows that we should be able to hear the conversations between the officials. You can in rugby and cricket and it works brilliantly

Thing is the ref didnt even check it?

It's basically cast iron penalty.

As the ref himself gave a goal kick he knew there was no West ham contact with the ball, therefore what did he think happened?

Caporegime
Rudiger's a nasty piece of work. Can't imagine many neutrals would mind him getting taken out.

Exactly. That would have been given a penalty if he’d have waited for contact from the slide tackle. He dived over his legs, and too soon.
Looks that way so it's not surprising it wasn't a penalty given the refs are looking for contact before awarding penalties.

Back
Top Bottom