Random Famous People You Met

Soldato
Coming from Somerset - most of my childhood around the Yeovil area - I met Paddy a few times - it has been many years though so don't remember specifics - was mostly just saying hello.

I went to Yeovil College and remember seeing him a few times around the area.

Soldato
Angela Rippon leaving the toilets at Bridgewater service station
Anthea Turner in a lift at Eiffel Tower.
Bobby Charlton sitting at a table outside a cafe in Malaga
Will Mellor carrying his child in Chiswick
John Barnes asking me directions to a hotel car park entrance in Leeds
The actor who plays Marlon in Emmerdale kicking off with a security guard outside a pub in Leeds shouting “Do you know who I am?”
Martin Johnson (ex rugby player) at my school. He attended there 10 years before I was there and his late mum, was my PE teacher and Head of House.

Soldato
Worked with/bumped into: John Cleese, Cameron Diaz, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Simon Pegg (all when I worked on a feature film). John Major, Nick Knowles, Jeremy Hunt, Joe Wicks, Jon Snow, Kit Harrington, Ron Noades.

Soldato
Apart from a load of band members at festivals, I met Mark Lamarr. He had a hangover and I was *cough* more than hungover, but he still obliged to a photo and whatnot. Nice guy.

Soldato
Sold Chris Simmons some football socks once. I vaguley recognised him but it wasn't until he'd paid and left the shop that a colleague said "wasn't that the fella from The Bill?" and I realised. Not exactly A-list glamour, but I seem to remember he was fairly well known at the time.

Caporegime
Viv Richards who used to drink in the Gardeners Arms, Taunton when he played for Somerset years back, Same for Ian Botham, I used to go with my dad and Grandad when we visited, both extremely down to earth despite both being very famous at the time.

Theresa May, long before she was Home Secretary or PM.

David Gilmour not far from his house boat on the Thames.

Simon Le Bon and his wife Yasmin at the Trafford Centre, Manchester.

Edward Stobart and his father Eddie (through work at the time)

Windsor Davies, met in a hotel lift, said hello without realising who he was until later, just recognised him but didn’t realise it was from tv..

Robbie Williams, met him a fair few times, he’s an old school friend of a mate of mine, the polar opposite of how he comes across on tv etc, very humble and quiet, I was having a family meal at a restaurant in Newcastle-under-Lyme (Buffet Island as was) a few years back and the management announced a vip was coming and requested we all gave him privacy, in walked Robbie, had his meal in peace and as he left he paid the bill for everyone who was in the place at the time - just the kind of guy he really is.

Phil Taylor of darts fame, lives around the corner from another mate, again, a very normal down to earth guy.

Damon Hill wandering the paddock at Oulton Park during a historic race weekend.

Man of Honour
Is that a black cab thing then? Taxi drivers up this way nearly always initiate a conversation.

More a me thing I’d say, all I was interested in was, “get ‘em in, get ‘em there, get the fare.”
As I said, if they wished to open a conversation, I’d politely answer them but that’s it.
Picked up Jude Law a couple of times, my wife thought that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I was hardly going to bore him to tears by telling him that.

Soldato
2003 to 2007 I used to work in couple of fancy restaurants. Met pretty much all of Man United and City players of the day, lot of ex-footballers and Corrie stars (not that I knew who they were but the girls always got excited). Graeme Souness was surprisingly nice, his wife not so much. :D Roy Keane and Nicky Butt were pretty miserable as well. Met Van Nisterlooy day before he was sold to Real Madrid.

Freddie Flintoff and few other ex cricket players used to book out the whole restaurant for lunch every couple of months. The chef, manager and I would usually end up getting drunk with them and I'd go home with £200 tip for about an hour worth of actual work. :) Once I got almost £400 tip from them, the ten of them put in £100 each and their bill came to just over £600, rather than trying to work it out they just told me to keep the change. :D

Soldato
Off the top of my head.. Tom Cruise (round his house), Henry Cavill (private screening of something written by David Goyer as we later found out he was being tapped to be Superman), Kate Winslet (screening), JJ Abrams (ok only a conference call), Joanna Lumley, Colin Trevorrow (working with), J.A. Bayona, Jason Isaacs (party), Elizabeth Banks, Emma Freud (party, actually stayed at their house), Edgar Wright (on set), George Michael (work)... Oh I nearly forgot Billie Piper, all of the Friends producers. Loads more behind the camera crew that are far more lovely, cinematographers like Greig Fraser (Dune) and Dan Mindel (Star Wars), John Schwartzmann (Jurassic World)..

Last edited:
Soldato
None but take that were in the village i grew up in. They walked into a tiny shop and got no reaction at all so asked the woman on the counter " do you know who we are ? "

No the woman said so they went to fetch magazines with their photos in them.

They left in a grump because the woman didnt give a flying monkeys who they were.

Caporegime
Off the top of my head.. Tom Cruise (round his house), Henry Cavill (private screening of something written by David Goyer as we later found out he was being tapped to be Superman), Kate Winslet (screening), JJ Abrams (ok only a conference call), Joanna Lumley, Colin Trevorrow (working with), J.A. Bayona, Jason Isaacs (party), Elizabeth Banks, Emma Freud (party), Edgar Wright (on set), George Michael (work)... Oh I nearly forgot Billie Piper, all of the Friends producers. Loads more behind the camera crew that are far more lovely, cinematographers like Greig Fraser (Dune) and Dan Mindel (Star Wars), John Schwartzmann (Jurassic World)..

What's your IMDB page? :p

Soldato
None but take that were in the village i grew up in. They walked into a tiny shop and got no reaction at all so asked the woman on the counter " do you know who we are ? "

No the woman said so they went to fetch magazines with their photos in them.

They left in a grump because the woman didnt give a flying monkeys who they were.
/r/thingsthatneverhappened

Man of Honour
Not many.

Howie Watkins, the Really Wild Show presenter when he used to work at Penscynor wildlife park in Wales
A few WRC drivers - Didier Auriol, Juha Kankkunen, Marcus Gronholm
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jo Guest :D
Alex Jones off the One Show, I was in school with her younger sister
Shane Williams, Wales' record try scorer, again I was in school with his younger brother
Stewart Lee
Richard Herring

Associate
Jet and Trojan from Gladiators, they were signing photos in Blockbuster. And Robson Green, doing his food shopping in Safeway, chatted to my ma and me for a bit. Both were in the early 90s.

Soldato
I once served Bruce Foxton a bottle of Lowenbrau Blue.
I met James May at Lancaster University (he is an alumnus).
Irvine Welsh caught me having a special cigarette in a quiet corner at one of his shows.

Back
Top Bottom