• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
They are audible at 40% and louder above that, however you can run them at a lower fan speed and they are silent. They have a decent static pressure too.

If you know how to tune and tweak, they are good enough fans tbh.

They get a bad rating in reviews as they are using the performance BIOS and in that mode, you can't lower the fan speed below 40%.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can just switch to the Quiet BIOS, lower fan speeds as low as 25% if required, and increase power limits via MPT. :)

Maybe so but out of the box with a 360mm rad you'd kinda expect it to be silent considering some of the third party air cooled cards are barely audible. They just half assed it on the fans for the rad with that card.

Caporegime
Maybe so but out of the box with a 360mm rad you'd kinda expect it to be silent considering some of the third party air cooled cards are barely audible. They just half assed it on the fans for the rad with that card.
Could be improved out of the box, won't argue with you there.

But they are good enough that I won't change them as with a bit of tuning as they offer excellent performance at lower fan speeds, you only save a few c by running them at 100% due to decent static pressure at lower RPMs.

Why the performance BIOS does not let you change the fan speed to lower values is anyone's guess. Reviewers are lazy and will use the performance BIOS as that's how it arrives in the box, fire and forget.

Soldato
Your haven't hear quiet til you've stuck your ear over an Xbox series X lol.

Sorry cant get a 6900xt in that. Next.

It must be a good card as @LtMatt still has it, and he's been through a few 6900xt's !

Associate
I made the mistake of turning on Radion 21.9.1 CPU overclocking by accident, and ended up with a 15% to 18% drop in CPU performance in time spy.

I had to go into BIOS and attempt to return my PBO and CPU OC Settings back to the way I had them before, and got most of my CPU performance back. but I didn’t write down my settings and had to wing it and it’s still 1-2% lower CPU Benchmarks. When the radeon software set PBO settings it looks like it set them to stock levels.

So I have to figure out what else the Radion software changed, or I memorized settings wrong. I was pretty sure that my CPU offset was 100 MHz but I’m gonna try 150 or 200.

I had my previous PBO and OC settings saved in a profile in my ASROCK BIOS, but BIOS freezes when I try to select the profile :( so I have to re-do it manually using Ryzen master to look at megahertz and temperature as I push power limits. ITS A REAL PAIN, So I set it for automatic for now.

So far with the GPU overclock I have it set for maximum GPU clock 107% and undervolt 98%, with +15 power, and 2100 MHz VRAM; and plan to do more testing soon to see how far I can go, but my time spy GPU score is within 200 points of my old one.

Associate
errrm, my 6900xt is putting out 40ish fps 4K HDR on cyberpunk, haven't played it in almost half a year.......has a game update messed this up or is this to do with my 6900xt?

It says 98% usage but it's only at 75c and the fans aren't ramping up like in other games

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
errrm, my 6900xt is putting out 40ish fps 4K HDR on cyberpunk, haven't played it in almost half a year.......has a game update messed this up or is this to do with my 6900xt?

It says 98% usage but it's only at 75c and the fans aren't ramping up like in other games
Cyberpunk is by far the most demanding game in my library. I get an average of 70-75 FPS at max settings (excluding RT) with my card overclocked at 3440x1440 resolution.

Associate
Hello guys, can someone recommend me easy tuning settings for my AMD MSI 6900xt reference model full stock paired with 5900x, I don't like when it hits 90C while gaming & streaming in some games, it's in NZXT h710 case, also fan curve settings if possible?

Caporegime
Hello guys, can someone recommend me easy tuning settings for my AMD MSI 6900xt reference model full stock paired with 5900x, I don't like when it hits 90C while gaming & streaming in some games, it's in NZXT h710 case, also fan curve settings if possible?
90c is perfectly normal for the Junction temperature. The maximum temperature is 110c, so you have plenty of headroom.

Your Edge temperature (which is the temperature commonly exposed in all GPUs) should be 15-20c lower.

Associate
I've just found your reply to some other guy with same question, I've set 15% power limit, Max Freq 2529mhz (didn't touch it), lowered voltage to 1125, VRAM Tuning Max Freq 2112mhz, Fast Timings, is that alright?

Caporegime
I've just found your reply to some other guy with same question, I've set 15% power limit, Max Freq 2529mhz (didn't touch it), lowered voltage to 1125, VRAM Tuning Max Freq 2112mhz, Fast Timings, is that alright?
The reference cooler is designed to run at those temps, so my previous advice is likely not applicable here.

Increasing power limit will increase temperatures, so you probably want that left at 0%.

If you want to try and lower temperatures you can either reduce voltage or increase fan speed, but it's really not necessary and you will not prolong its life by doing so as its operating well within spec.

I would use whatever your stock core clock is by default, set the min frequency 100Mhz below that, and reduce voltage to 1125 and test. If it's stable you can try and reduce voltage further, in 25mv increments.

Associate
Thanks for advice, everything is set up as you said, just to double check if everything is perfect, so you can make life easier to other ppl like me.
sv99nCv
Screenshot-2021-09-25-222853.png

Associate
Hi all. I have a Powercolor Red Devil Ultimate. Up till recently, the max power draw of the card was just over 300w as per msi afterburner and fairly static during 4k gaming. Since installing the last couple of driver updates, I am seeing erratic power draw with spikes up to 450w and also going low too. Fps is ok in the same games and benchmarks. Temperatures are fine.

Is all this normal? Has something changed in terms of afterburner power reporting or is this to do with the new drivers?

Associate
Hi all. I have a Powercolor Red Devil Ultimate. Up till recently, the max power draw of the card was just over 300w as per msi afterburner and fairly static during 4k gaming. Since installing the last couple of driver updates, I am seeing erratic power draw with spikes up to 450w and also going low too. Fps is ok in the same games and benchmarks. Temperatures are fine.

Is all this normal? Has something changed in terms of afterburner power reporting or is this to do with the new drivers?
Morning, its a driver reporting issue since 21.9.1 and still on 21.9.2. I get it too. I've got a feeling we'll see a new driver on Tuesday for Windows 11 day. Lets hope it is fixed. I'd use the "launch bug report tool" to raise it as well.

Back
Top Bottom