What vitamins do you take and why?

Caporegime
Gave up on multi-vitamins as the quality on a lot of them seems to have gone down the last few years - and I never really found they did much anyhow.

On work days I've been taking an effervescent with a moderate vitamin C and high Potassium dose (along with some other vitamins/minerals) and 2-3 days a week drink a green tea which has a high vitamin D dose. I've found that combination to have a noticeable effect especially as my diet is so-so and I spend a lot of time doing night shifts these days :(
Be wary with potassium. Very high levels of potassium and magnesium can be extremely dangerous. I know from personal experience just how dangerous.

Man of Honour
Multivitamin and Vit D every day.

Vit D because the UK is miserable ( :p ) and multivitamin as a hangover from my vegan days. I eat a tonne of fruit, veg, grains, and legumes so I doubt I need the multi but my GP has no issues with my levels so why not.

Soldato
I take a multivitamin some days. Depends on what I've eaten or drunk recently or expect to that day. Days I don't I often take a D3 if I don't get out and a vitamin C if I don't eat some fruit. Most days I take a cod liver and/or a flaxseed oil cap.

Soldato
What's everyone's recommendation on fishy oils and vitamin D? Is it like magnesium where there are crap versions?

Vit D is hard to go wrong with as long as it’s not some piddly strength/iu. Main rule is you should take it with a meal as it’s a fat-soluble vitamin* in order for it to be absorbed properly. It has to be D3 though not D2.

Omega 3… quality can vary greatly. I buy the liquid Nordic Oil (lemon flavoured, it’s fine) as it’s lab tested and has a high amount of EPA/DHA pers serving, but you can get that in caps. The big bodybuilding supplement places like MyProtein, Bulk etc do large bags of high strength Omega 3 caps. If you eat a decent amount of oily fish (e.g. a couple of servings a week) you’re probably fine and don’t need to supplement. The high street type stuff tends to be too low strength to be cost-effective. Ideally you want somewhere around 500mg combined EPA/DHA per serving.

*Vitamins are either fat or water soluble. This means you need the presence of fat or water for them to be bioavailable to the body. The former can be squirrelled away in your fat cells by your body to use as and when needed and so for Vit D for example you could take x7 doses once per week or x1 dose every day and the effect is the same. The latter are only absorbed by the body if they’re required which means you both need to hit your intakes of them daily but also that any excess is disposed of. So when you take a multivitamin and then wee neon green, it’s because your body doesn’t need all the Vit C or whatever and just lets it go in one end and come out the other.

Caporegime
I never take vitamins, shame more of our food isn't fortified, most breakfast cereals don't seem to be

I never see fortified flour in our supermarkets, oh wait apparently british milled flour is fortified by law.

Man of Honour
I take a decent multi vitamin and a few other bits and bobs that are neither vitamins or minerals but support healthy lipids/heart health/joint health/brain health

Soldato
Only vitamin d3 nowadays and occasionally a multi vit (mainly as I still have some in that need using).

As someone with ulcerative colitis and a colon missing, I'm at an increased risk of malabsorption, however I've had 3 or 4 blood tests over the past year and all my vitamin and mineral levels have been way within the normal range.

Unless you have specific difficulty absorbing something or a blood test showing you're lacking something, I wouldn't bother supplementing if you have a varied and balanced diet.

Soldato
Vit D is hard to go wrong with as long as it’s not some piddly strength/iu. Main rule is you should take it with a meal as it’s a fat-soluble vitamin* in order for it to be absorbed properly. It has to be D3 though not D2.

Omega 3… quality can vary greatly. I buy the liquid Nordic Oil (lemon flavoured, it’s fine) as it’s lab tested and has a high amount of EPA/DHA pers serving, but you can get that in caps. The big bodybuilding supplement places like MyProtein, Bulk etc do large bags of high strength Omega 3 caps. If you eat a decent amount of oily fish (e.g. a couple of servings a week) you’re probably fine and don’t need to supplement. The high street type stuff tends to be too low strength to be cost-effective. Ideally you want somewhere around 500mg combined EPA/DHA per serving.

*Vitamins are either fat or water soluble. This means you need the presence of fat or water for them to be bioavailable to the body. The former can be squirrelled away in your fat cells by your body to use as and when needed and so for Vit D for example you could take x7 doses once per week or x1 dose every day and the effect is the same. The latter are only absorbed by the body if they’re required which means you both need to hit your intakes of them daily but also that any excess is disposed of. So when you take a multivitamin and then wee neon green, it’s because your body doesn’t need all the Vit C or whatever and just lets it go in one end and come out the other.
Thanks -

D3 4000IU - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-...ld=1&keywords=vitamin+d&qid=1632341547&sr=8-5

Omega 3 - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Nordic-S...eywords=nordic+oil+3+69&qid=1632341679&sr=8-7

Seem reasonable?

Soldato
Am I right in thinking some people, mainly rich folk, go and pay top dollar to be hooked up to a bag of vitamins and electrolytes every couple of weeks or so?
Depends on level of wealth. The ultra-dirt-bag-underground-wealthy have blood transfusions from healthy children people

Soldato
Am I right in thinking some people, mainly rich folk, go and pay top dollar to be hooked up to a bag of vitamins and electrolytes every couple of weeks or so?

I listen to a lot of Joe Rogan podcasts and he takes all sorts, including IV drips of various stuff.

He's clearly got an immense immune system but I'm 99% sure the majority of it is due to the amount of exercise and healthy eating he does.

I feel that supplements are more akin to marginal gains rather than drastic changes to your health.

Caporegime
When I went into hospital last year, I was in bad shape and over four days, they gave me 3 banana bags a day through IV. That must have been some seriously heavy dosing going on.

Have to admit though, when I left the hospital I felt much better, happier and more energetic than I went in. But that was 12 bags in 4 days, don’t know what one bag periodically would really do.

Soldato
Vitabrite high strength Vitamin D3 4,000 IU - for autumn winter months

Seatone Green-lipped mussel extract - supports normal function of joints and cartilage

Reflex Crepure Creatine - helps with strength and performance gains in the gym.

Last edited:
Soldato
D, creatine and fish oils.

Workout a lot and fish oils and creatine are especially useful. D is just a general vitamin I take because I find that I feel more energetic with it.

Caporegime

These are good. No fish taste/smell and helps my knees. Started taking them as sitting down for long periods would hurt. No issues since until I left them at home when o went to a mate’s for 2 weeks and i started noticing dull ache.

Omega 3 Fish Oil 2000mg, EPA 660mg DHA 440mg per Daily Serving. 120 Capsules (2 Months Supply). Supports Heart, Brain Function and Eye Health. 2 Capsules Per Serving https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07649WV5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5Z41DNQFWGNKSBYQNF2J

also have the glucosamine from zipvit

Soldato

Yep good stuff. A year’s supply of D3 is dirt cheap and is probably the one thing people should be supplementing but aren’t. Easy to be deficient in when you’re Caucasian let alone if you have darker skin.

Seems mad that our skin needs to be subjected to sufficient UV to make a substance from cholesterol to keep various biological processes running as best they can, but if you rewind the clock early lifeforms in contact with sunlight in the primordial oceans evolved processes for dealing with UV exposure and utilising it for moving calcium around cells… and here we are billions of years later still reliant on the sun for some of our biochemistry. *mind blown gif*

Back
Top Bottom