• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All Zen4 to have iGPU by design

Caporegime
Probably you are used to the slow speed and it doesn't bother you. But the Intel iGPU is even worse.

Well, try the iGPU on a motherboard - asrock 939a785gmh and you will understand.

Modern iGPUs are also very slow.

I have several and used several laptops with igpu over the years and none of them felt slow especially the modern Surface range from MS. Why would an iGPU be slow for office type tasks?

Associate
I have several and used several laptops with igpu over the years and none of them felt slow especially the modern Surface range from MS. Why would an iGPU be slow for office type tasks?
They aren't.
I added a 1030 to my desktop and have noticed no significant difference with Office 365 or Windows in general.
A low end GPU for sure but still well ahead of the 4+ year old IGP in my desktop.

Soldato
I don't recommend using an iGPU for anything - it is slow and stresses the central cores to the extent that the overall system responsiveness goes to crap.

WTF?

giphy.gif

*Sees username*

Oh.

*Carries on scrolling*

An AMD iGPU could be just what I'm after next time around.

Soldato
Good. Hopefully this means the chips won't be nerfed like the 5xxxg chips. They have terrible performance with high frame rate games for example even at the same frequency as other non iGPU 5xxx series chips.

The earlier persons comment about "non-responsiveness" with iGPU might we down to AMDs earlier APUs (kavari/godvari) declocking the CPU by 1000mhz when the iGPU was in use. This was solved by modifying the power play tables to keep it full speed. However, this de-clocking never resulted in "sluggish" responsiveness if we are talking about desktop, because the iGPU wasn't used on desktop (for 3D, where it declocked).

But lets just assume it was trolling, because a dGPU definitely wouldn't stress the CPU /sarcasm.

Last edited:
Associate
Good. Hopefully this means the chips won't be nerfed like the 5xxxg chips. The have terrible performance with high frame rate games for example even at the same frequency as other non iGPU 5xxx series chips.
That's almost 100% down to having half the cache. Which is down to AMD not wanting to offer a bigger die for the price.

Aside from choices made to lower APU power requirements like no PCIe 4.0, the APUs should be somewhat faster as they are monolithic but because of the cache difference we can't directly compare until and unless AMD release a Zen 3 non-APU with half the cache turned off.

Soldato
That's almost 100% down to having half the cache. Which is down to AMD not wanting to offer a bigger die for the price.

Aside from choices made to lower APU power requirements like no PCIe 4.0, the APUs should be somewhat faster as they are monolithic but because of the cache difference we can't directly compare until and unless AMD release a Zen 3 non-APU with half the cache turned off.

The chip performs around 3600 level at times even with a much better clock speed. It's not a acceptable really and I don't see why reviewers gave it a good score.

That's why i am looking forward to these versions.

Back
Top Bottom