petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Still not been able to get fuel here in West London - going to get up at 5am tomoz and hit up the nearest motor way services as don't even have enough left in the car to get to work if I get called out

Man of Honour
I'm a casualty of this now.
I have to take 12 tablets in a morning and a week before my last dose I order my new ones.
Today I picked up my order because I now have none and 3 of them are missing because of petrol shortage and drivers not being able to get them to the Pharmacy.
They can't promise when they will get them.

Man of Honour
Local station got fuel delivery yesterday hes put petrol price up 20p so its 1.67p a liter and its already sold out.

Some around here put it up to around 1.5x - was still 1.43 when I came home last night.

If it goes up like that it is going to hit some of those least able to afford it in society very hard. I might even have to reconsider how much I use my truck :s

Man of Honour
Could also be a ploy by government to boost ev sales.

I guess that method would avoid them actually having to go to the effort of rolling out a proper standard charging network, solutions for charging at home more widely and encouraging some more affordable options, etc. etc. you know the kind of things which might incentivise people into buying one.

Interestingly just looking at the reports for the public charging points around here it seems 2/3rds of them are out of action as well... without actually going to them to check can't verify the validity of that.

Man of Honour
I don't know how true this is

Quick heads up for some of you people who are now supply chain experts all of a sudden.
TO BE CLEAR
Petrol tanker drivers have a PDP and an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tankers.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact but we’ve had a shortage for years, we have a 100,000 shortfall, that doesn’t happen overnight!!
HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol tanker without having an ADR and PDP qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV drivers left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.
So what's changed? Nothing !!
Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.
The Result of the media scaremongering!!
Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today, it’s disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.
And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Bloody Media!! Bloody sheep, bloody selfish mentality.

Soldato
I think the truth lies somewhere in-between. It’s undoubtedly stoked by the media but it most probably came about from haulage companies starting to feel the squeeze and actually getting close to needing to change business models / up wages / improve working conditions.
Faced with this reality it’s quite easy to work out a media campaign to make all those people that hated immigrants before suddenly miss them, and for the ‘pressure’ to result in emergency visas and so on. Thus their exploitative labour practices can continue unabated, the exact same playbook will be rolled out with all manner of other business now - and it will probably work again.

Associate
Last week before all this madness started I filled up a 20L jerry can of petrol to use for my garden machinery. Shame both our cars are diesel!

Actually the petrol stations in the north of Scotland are fine for fuel, it's the more populated towns and cities that seem to be struggling.

Soldato
I hope you put super in the can because E10 will kill the garden machinery. Low mower repairers are going to make a fortune any time soon :p

Back
Top Bottom