petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Its not like they can enforce it. I called in at one last night with a £30 limit and put £30.01 in and the lady behind the counter thanked me as I was the first person in the last hour to stick to the £30 limit. Its not like they arent going to take your money from you after you have put in £80 are they? Especially if its not your local./regular fuel station, its all done on trust that you wont go over the limit.
Apparently staff are watching and will manually cut you of if you go over, so you got thanked because they didn't have to force it off for you.

Caporegime
Apparently staff are watching and will manually cut you of if you go over, so you got thanked because they didn't have to force it off for you.

The guy before me at the pump had managed to put £40 in so perhaps they were slow at cutting him off? Or they can't be bothered? Must be hard in big ones where there are 12 pumps and you are serving people and trying to cut people off at £30 at the same time.

Man of Honour
2 x garages I tried had nothing this morning. Car still has 100 mile range and sitting on a train into Brum as decided to let the train take the strain again (almost poetical).

Soldato
lol

At record prices, visiting the petrol station is a bit like the dentist; having filled up so little during covid, memories of £1.10 are still fresh.

This could be one big dress rehearsal for Christmas / winter of discontent - guess when the Turkeys/mince-pies/sprouts ... will be replenished;
maybe you have booked your turkey ahead (like those who had taken a fixed energy contract), but if there is a supply issue, you could find yourself back at the market.

Man of Honour
The guy before me at the pump had managed to put £40 in so perhaps they were slow at cutting him off? Or they can't be bothered? Must be hard in big ones where there are 12 pumps and you are serving people and trying to cut people off at £30 at the same time.

Half the reason there seems to be bad queues in town last couple of days seems to be because they've closed all but 2-3 pumps in some of the fuel stations so they can manually cut people off.

Caporegime
Don't know where you got that from

Nobody does. In fact nobody knows where he gets any of his info from, I reckon he's actually an AI powered magic 8 ball with an RNG factor. Occasionally he gets it right, most of the time it's utter nonsense :p

The petrol station at work is noticeably quieter today, no hooting or anything. Either people are starting to realise what a bunch of morons they are or their tanks are now full so they're sat at home. Only a couple of private use cars to be seen, the rest are vans / trucks / cabs / etc. Also not seen any jerry cans yet, that always tends to get the blood boiling a bit.

Soldato
Nobody does. In fact nobody knows where he gets any of his info from, I reckon he's actually an AI powered magic 8 ball with an RNG factor. Occasionally he gets it right, most of the time it's utter nonsense :p
Knew exactly who you were talking about from this without looking. :o

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Looks like the government are really pushing for more drivers:

RV8x9Iih.jpg

This isn't mine by the way, I'm not a HGV driver.

I work from home so have avoided this madness so far as my car barely moves during the week. I am supposed to make the 100 mile round trip to the office on Friday becasue I'm switching teams however this nonsense is putting me off in case I need diesel for other family duties (3 years old, young baby etc).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Both Esso and Tesco looked more civilised today, no issues with massive queues or fuel shortages. I think as time goes on and people see petrol stations looking more normal people won't feel panicked that they need to join in.

Caporegime
I don't get people who queue for petrol in a car...

park round the corner, get 2 jerry cans out the boot, go fill up.

surely no one is expecting you to stand in the road behind a bunch of cars :p

Man of Honour

You're liable to get run over at the minute if you try and walk to the pump in front of someone.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nearly all petrol stations have banned the filling of jerry cans.

Yes, that's exactly what you're expected to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Raising the stakes, now they will deploy army drivers in the delivery pipeline, seems a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario,
or do they have additional data, on driver availibility, from the likes of Shell who started this,
such as, remaining UK tanker drivers had been migrating to jobs like the 50K John Lewis jobs, so further shortfalls are anticipated.
The tax payer is footing the bill ?

Caporegime
Looks like the government are really pushing for more drivers:

RV8x9Iih.jpg

This isn't mine by the way, I'm not a HGV driver.
This is doing the rounds on numerous trucking social media groups, roundly met with ridicule and derision.

One statement that stuck out to me, offering fixed hours, trust me, that never happens in this job.

Soldato
Still huge queues here but at least filling stations actually have fuel now. Well some of them anyway. Miles of queue trying to get into town last night I read about it on the local paper website thought it'd delay and hope it'd be gone by 9pm but nope still there but at least only a hundred yards long by now wasn't prepared to sit in a queue for 20 minutes when I don't even need fuel so had to drive on the wrong side of the road past it until a bus came barrelling towards me and had to dive down a side street and round the back streets to rejoin the main road past the filling station, that was interesting

Associate
Managed to fill up at my local independent this afternoon. Not much of a queue considering only one pump in use and it's not a self-serve garage.
Plenty of diesel, yay :) . Paid a little more than I would have done at the nearest supermarket, but that's miles away with no guarantee they'd have any.

Soldato
I went on my weekly shop to my local supermarket on Saturday just gone and it took me approx 2 hours just to get into the car park.

While waiting I could see the frustration levels increasing as people got nearer to the petrol forecourt. What was interesting is that I knew that there was no petrol there, just diesel but there were still a lot of petrol cars in front queuing presumably to get the full shortage experience?

Back
Top Bottom