People that walk their Cat on a lead?

Capodecina
Soldato
They shouldn't be run over or poisoned by neighbours either. It's not an ideal world. Better to have an indoor cat that takes walks on a harness, than an outdoor cat with a 6 months lifespan.

Around our way one of the neighbours had something like 3 dead cats in a year. None of them were old.

Depends where you live, maybe.

We had seven cats who all died of natural causes, all were free-roaming. The oldest lived to be 23.

Caporegime
Depends where you live, maybe.

We had seven cats who all died of natural causes, all were free-roaming. The oldest lived to be 23.

I do get where he's coming from with it. Unfortunately it's not unusual to see a cat on the road or at the roadside. Plus as we know, many dog owners are more savage than their animals and I've seen them first hand setting their dogs on cats.

Capodecina
Soldato
I do get where he's coming from with it. Unfortunately it's not unusual to see a cat on the road or at the roadside. Plus as we know, many dog owners are more savage than their animals and I've seen them first hand setting their dogs on cats.

I think it's a combination of the area and the savviness of the cat. I saw a few dead ones out front when we were living in the old place, though ours were all quite intelligent and were from the same family.

In fact, I saw our neighbour's cat get killed. The front door was opened and it shot out into the road into the path of an oncoming car. Some other cats who lived in the area would have thought "road - possibility of cars". But no, this one went like a bullet out of a chamber with no thought of what could be ahead.

Caporegime
I think it's a combination of the area and the savviness of the cat. I saw a few dead ones out front when we were living in the old place, though ours were all quite intelligent and were from the same family.

In fact, I saw our neighbour's cat get killed. The front door was opened and it shot out into the road into the path of an oncoming car. Some other cats who lived in the area would have thought "road - possibility of cars". But no, this one went like a bullet out of a chamber with no thought of what could be ahead.
For sure the savviness of the cat is a factor. But there are also triggers that can cause the most savvy of cats to run out into the road. Prey drive, seeing someone they know, etc, etc.

And the poisoning thing I mentioned is real, too. And the pet abducting. Your area will make a difference but unless you live in the middle of a forest with no road nearby, the risk (of unnatural death) outdoors will always be greater than the risk indoors.

Ultimately I agree that the ideal life for a cat is an outdoor life. But we have utterly changed the world and the outdoor environment now is artificial and man-made. It's no longer "natural", so even if an outdoor life is "natural" for a cat, the outdoor environment itself is now alien. Some cats can adapt, but even among those sometimes their luck just runs out.

Caporegime
Maybe people like cats but don't want it out murdering all the local wildlife?
This too. Also the risk of injury from other cats, and other animals.

Bella tried to take down a seagull once - even on her harness - and the thing was twice as big as her!

I mentioned our man-made environment being an alien one for cats - well also the cat density here is completely unnatural. Without humans there would be fewer cats and more cat predators.

Really, cats today can't be seen as wild animals, or animals that should "roam free". Because we need to realise that mostly our urban environments are not natural, to varying degrees not safe, and actually quite stressful for many cats. Second, they are domesticated.

Some do in fact prefer the quiet, indoor life to the man-made urban jungle. I know Bella does. She has the opportunity to go outside multiple times a day, and prefers mostly just a very quick sniff and circuit of the garden, then straight back inside.

Maybe I've conditioned that into her, maybe it's what she would choose for herself, ultimately it's not very exciting but it's safe and she's well provided for. No issues with fleas or fights or getting run over or the like.

Not saying it's the only way but it works for us. Keeping her occupied is a struggle tho. I think she does suffer a bit from boredom. And that does play on my mind.

Man of Honour
Had to walk my mums 17 year old dog in a pram as it could barely walk , pretty embarrassing but the dog loved it which was all that mattered.
That makes sense, it's the people who get the little designer dogs that have been selectively bred to literally an inch of their life and therefore can't manage a proper walk who then buy a pram for them. Just don't buy weird breads in the first place :rolleyes:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Weird. And kind of wrong.

Cats should be free-roaming. They shouldn't be confined to a flat or walked on a lead.

It's better than having your cat shot at with air rifles by people on the street that don't like cats.

Our two cats are house cats for this reason. We don't take them for walks though, they have a catio.

Soldato
I once tried to put a cat on a lead for fun. It resisted and then, when it was harnessed, flopped onto its side on the floor and did the "your move" look. I dragged it about 6 inches, and gave up.

I think cats on leads is... odd, but I appreciate why some people might want to do that.

Funnily enough, that cat (a beastly former feral tom) used to follow me when I went to the shop, which would have been about 3-400m walk from home, through the estate. He used to trot alongside me and would wait just around the corner when I went in the shop.

Soldato
I took ours for short walks on a lead/harness combo when we staying in rented accommodation for a few weeks before moving into our current house.

He wasn’t allowed outside normally as the owner lived next door and had cats of her own.

Soldato
Weird. Get a dog.
Like people who "walk" their dogs...in prams
Weird, same as pets in clothes.

yup-uhuh.gif

Soldato
So are these cats that actually identify as dogs, or just overbearing lefty owners projecting their own insecurities?

Weird, same as pets in clothes.
Depends on the pet and the clothes.
I take the dogs out in all weathers, so winter clothing is essential below certain temperatures, and raincoats necessary so they aren't too wet to come back in the house afterward.

It's better than having your cat shot at with air rifles by people on the street that don't like cats.
These days they're more likely to be shot by Police who don't know how to deal with animals roaming freely...

Caporegime
I've considered getting a harness for mine for supervised garden walks as she's shown an interest in going outside. We have a busy main road along with mean strays, deer, foxes and other wildlife along with the fact she's not spayed yet and I don't want her murdering small birds either. So plenty of reasons for supervised walks.

Dogs were wild and could roam feely once too.

Soldato
People that treat animals in such a way are just weird. It's an animal. Feed it and let it go out roaming without a lead you weirdo.

Dogs are of course different and should only be used as something like working. People that have useless small rat/dogs are weird. If it's not useful as an animal or practically self-sufficient then there is no point in it.

Soldato
I've considered getting a harness for mine for supervised garden walks as she's shown an interest in going outside. We have a busy main road along with mean strays, deer, foxes and other wildlife along with the fact she's not spayed yet and I don't want her murdering small birds either. So plenty of reasons for supervised walks.

Dogs were wild and could roam feely once too.
Maybe you should have considered all this before getting a cat. It should be allowed to roam free. Of course it's shown an interest in the outside, it's a cat!

Back
Top Bottom