People that walk their Cat on a lead?

Associate
It's a wise thing to do if you've just moved home to a new area that's unfamiliar to the cat, it won't get lost so easy. It'll have put down it's own scent and understand the scents of the new environment, other cats and things. It's a lot of information for the cat to process. Once you think the time is right, let it roam free if you can.

As for doing it on a regular basis, yeah whatever, I don't see the problem apart from meeting chavs in the streets with their inbred abominations. That could get nasty.

Caporegime
Maybe you should have considered all this before getting a cat. It should be allowed to roam free. Of course it's shown an interest in the outside, it's a cat!

I don't want kittens or the cat getting feline HPV because she's not spayed yet. It's called being a responsible pet owner.

Associate
the concept of a house cat is a bit weird to me. I know someone who's cat hasn't left her 5 roomed london flat since it was born 7 years ago. She says she's a passionate cat lover so maybe imprisoning it is her way of showing love.

grown men walking what looks like a gerbil but is in fact a small dog no bigger than 10 inches long is also weird. At least these men normally have the dignity to look embarrassed if anyone walks past.

Caporegime
How old is she then? Under 6 months I guess?

About 5 months but she's showing signs of being in heat, more vocal, showing an interest in going outside etc so having a supervised/safe way of doing that isn't 'weird'.

grown men walking what looks like a gerbil but is in fact a small dog no bigger than 10 inches long is also weird. At least these men normally have the dignity to look embarrassed if anyone walks past.

Fragile masculinity is also embarrassing.

Soldato
I don't want kittens or the cat getting feline HPV because she's not spayed yet. It's called being a responsible pet owner.
I'm not sure how responsible it is to consider getting a cat when you are aware of such danger close to your location and see it only safe to take the cat out with a harness. The responsible thing to do would be to not get one at all if thats the case

Caporegime
I'm not sure how responsible it is to consider getting a cat when you are aware of such danger close to your location and see it only safe to take the cat out with a harness. The responsible thing to do would be to not get one at all if thats the case

I will join the millions of other irresponsible cat owners that don't live on a private island with no roads or wildlife I guess.

Soldato
I will join the millions of other irresponsible cat owners that don't live on a private island with no roads or wildlife I guess.
Na you just let the thing out and let it learn. And tbh, you have a point. I don't think people in the city should be allowed a cat if they can't prove it has ample space to roam. That's just my opinion though

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Maybe you should have considered all this before getting a cat. It should be allowed to roam free. Of course it's shown an interest in the outside, it's a cat!
Lots of studies showing that house cats are healthier and live longer, so you're talking bull.

Caporegime
Doesn't mean they're happier though.
On the one hand that's something I think about, on the other hand, we should be careful about using words like "happiness" to refer to animals.

Those are words that are more appropriately used to describe human emotions.

I'd rather talk about cat boredom, which is known to be a thing, than happiness, which isn't really particularly scientific.

Then you open up to discussions along the line of, "Is it better for a cat to live 6 months and be able to express all the (somewhat) natural cat behaviours, or for 16+ years where they will have a more limited range of stimulus."

It's a valid question. But remember that some of that outdoor stimulus is very stressful. Conflict with other cats, being abused by humans, chased by dogs, etc. It's not all frolicking in the long grass or stalking pigeons.

Soldato
lol, this is exactly what taking my 15 month old for a walk is like.
To be honest this was not her favourite walk, she preferred early morning when it was far quieter as far as traffic was concerned. She was a little bugger as if she lost sight of me rather than make her way home she would just plonk herself down and wait on me finding her then she would walk home.

Caporegime
Na you just let the thing out and let it learn. And tbh, you have a point. I don't think people in the city should be allowed a cat if they can't prove it has ample space to roam. That's just my opinion though

Let it out and learn what? That it needs to take itself to the vet for vaccinations, sterilisation and microchipping? :D

Back
Top Bottom