People that walk their Cat on a lead?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I have a male cat that is 4 months old and he goes out and comes back freely. I have had 3 cats in the past, one of which had kittens. I know how to keep animals, I know what they need to stay healthy. I just don't agree with keeping cats in, say in a flat or something.

There are certain natural behaviours that can be kerbed to help with undesirable behaviour traits but I feel that in the case of a cat it must be in an environment where it can leave a place of residence as and when they please and freely. If you can't do that for the animal than I think you should seriously consider having one or not.

You say you know how to keep animals but you let your cat have kittens? Unless you are a breeder, that's very irresponsible.

You're talking bull!

a lot of cat protection charities even recommend keeping cats indoors.

https://www.paws.org/resources/keeping-your-cat-happy-indoors/

What do indoor cats miss compared to outdoor cats?

Getting hit by a car, feline leukemia, attacks by dogs, poisoned food, pesticides, cat fights, fleas, ticks, worms, abscesses, getting lost, getting stolen, steel-jaw traps, human cruelty, gunshot wounds, puncture wounds, wild animal attacks, cold, rainy weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Soldato
You say you know how to keep animals but you let your cat have kittens? Unless you are a breeder, that's very irresponsible.

You're talking bull!

a lot of cat protection charities even recommend keeping cats indoors.

https://www.paws.org/resources/keeping-your-cat-happy-indoors/

What do indoor cats miss compared to outdoor cats?
I ensured homes were found before they were born. It's not a difficult thing to comprehend. In fact the mother did great and have birth to them all no problem. All healthy and homed after 8 weeks and I didn't charge a penny

Pet Northerner
Don
I keep two aging house cats, both toothless and timid - they'd not fare well in the area I lived in at the time of rescuing them.

There's nothing wrong with keeping housecats who have access to a house and garden.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

All healthy and homed after 8 weeks and I didn't charge a penny

You are kidding me?

4 to 6 months should be a minimum. Even commercial breeders don't let them go until 12 weeks and they're just in it for the money!

What and irresponsible pet owner you are. You're the one that should be banned from having pets.

Soldato
Well, we do have about 20 branches of Subway in Berkshire, so it's not surprising roaming cats are getting hold of a few...

We weren't far from a Subway but I don't think it was from there, looked like one of those part baked ones, probably nicked it out of a bin.

Our other cat jumped into the neighbours bathroom while she was having a soak. Now he just comes home covered in ticks and I have to get the old twisty mctwist tool out and give him a good brush.

I live semi-rural now so the enrichment they get out and about is epic, they come home with a sense of wonder in their eyes, eat some meaty chunks, slurp the gravy then cuddle up to either the dogs or us.

To be OT, we tried our rats with a lead - didn't work, they just wriggle out. And the one time we did try a lead on the cats it just led to a horizontal protest.

Permabanned
A woman who ran a boutique in the late sixties called Seven Miles Out, on the main A6 in Stockport had a black panther on a golden chain in the shop, walked it around the town and took it to and fro her house in Disley (seven miles away) in an open topped Peugeot car. I was more interested in stroking her at the time, she was a stunner in thigh boots and micro mini skirts, and of great interest to all hormonal teenage males around ;)

Children (and adults) used to freely pet this animal and I don't remember it ever having been said to have harmed anyone.

There are umpteen photos on the internet of people, mainly actresses, walking big cats like pumas and cheetahs on leads, especially in Paris, pre the general introduction of dangerous wild animal acts.

Hell, there are even photos of that weird artist whose name escapes me walking his anteater in either Paris or London, and using a goat to draw him around in a small single person cart.

With ten dogs I don't see many cats on the land here, for obvious reasons, but nor have I ever seen anyone in Whitchurch walking a feline on a lead, I suspect it would arouse some ridicule in the countryside.

http://www.poeticandchic.com/home/2011/6/20/cheetah-chic.html

The actress Phyllis Gordon walking her pet cheetah in London in 1939, I doubt she was worried about getting mugged...

Last edited:
Caporegime
thought the whole point of having a cat was you didn't have to walk it.

might as well get a dog if your gonna take it for walks on a lead.....

I always thought that the whole purpose of a cat was also pest control which you cannot have if they stay indoors all the time.

I am not a fan of cats it was more my wife and daughter choice but I cannot deny the impeccable pest control he performs year in year out.

Back
Top Bottom