Car accident

Soldato
Because it isn't about fault it's about risk and unfortunately you've demonstrated, through no fault of your own, that you keep your car somewhere where there is additional risk of damage.

This is the point people always miss when they question why being involved in a non-fault accident affects premiums.

thing is, has this demonstrated additional risk?

if the guy randomly blacked out in the rare (but not unknown) way folks can, and is subsequently banned from and stops driving any vehicle on the road, then how has the risk increased beyond what it had been before?

Caporegime

if the guy randomly blacked out in the rare (but not unknown) way folks can, and is subsequently banned from and stops driving any vehicle on the road, then how has the risk increased beyond what it had been before?

Indeed same with mine. Already I was paying more for my insurance because I parked on the road rather than on a drive or in a garage and my insurance had already factored in that risk. So why should my insurance go up because a truck drove over my car? the risk applies to every car parked on the road. Have the chances of something happening to my car parked on the road increase because something has happened to it once already? That's the head/tails coin toss fallacy where people know it should average out at 50% heads and 50% tails so after 9 successive heads they think the chance for the next toss to be tails is higher.

Man of Honour
Indeed same with mine. Already I was paying more for my insurance because I parked on the road rather than on a drive or in a garage and my insurance had already factored in that risk. So why should my insurance go up because a truck drove over my car? the risk applies to every car parked on the road. Have the chances of something happening to my car parked on the road increase because something has happened to it once already? That's the head/tails coin toss fallacy where people know it should average out at 50% heads and 50% tails so after 9 successive heads they think the chance for the next toss to be tails is higher.
Statistically someone who has had a claim (even a non fault claim) will be more likely to have multiple claims. That could be due to them not driving defensively or parking somewhere more prone to being hit, for example. Of course there will be random events which a person can't guard against. But on average someone who has a claim will have more than one. Insurance companies don't look at you specifically. They look at the type of risk you have demonstrated you are.

So if you claim then the insurance company deems you to be in the higher risk group.

Statistically someone who has had a claim (even a non fault claim) will be more likely to have multiple claims. That could be due to them not driving defensively or parking somewhere more prone to being hit, for example. Of course there will be random events which a person can't guard against. But on average someone who has a claim will have more than one. Insurance companies don't look at you specifically. They look at categorising you with other people into a group and then look at the risk of the group.

So if you claim then the insurance company deems you to be in the higher risk group.

This partly, but also, many years ago the risks were looked at at high level postcode level, eg IP3, IP4 etc then with the ability to process to a much lower level they are now basically processing at IP3 XYZ level, and as such any of your neighbours have an issue will affect all of you, assuming the ins cos pick it up. This is partly why shopping around may throw up an outlier who has less perfect info than the others.
It will all level out over time, but if there is for example a bad corner that causes many incidents annually then its very likely that all ins cos will have this accurately mapped in.

Soldato
I have just emailed my insurers to tell them about the Anxiety I’ve been diagnosed with, better to be safe than sorry.

Well my insurers have just noted it on their records but the DVLA want me to get a D4 medical form completed. This would have been the case if I was renewing my license and had mentioned the Anxiety at that time.

Soldato
Feeling anxious isn’t the same as anxiety.

Same with feeling depressed - it’s not the same as being depressed

As you say, many people feel anxious in different scenarios, but until you share a bed with someone who wakes up in the middle of the night with panic attacks, who has panic attacks during the day seemingly out of no where, please do not try and convince others it doesn’t exist.

Furthermore, it’s not something you can simply “distance yourself from”.

Until you experience it, or live with someone that has it, you, bluntly, haven’t got a scooby do what you’re talking about.

@OP - hope your car gets sorted :)

Do you think I would have commented if I hadn’t of experienced all of the above & more.
Don’t be so quick to make assumptions about someone - which is the main problem with anonymous forums.

Good result OP

Last edited:
Soldato

Parking on the road will always have an increased risk element. The fact that someone has now crashed into your car parked on the road could be argued that there's an increased risk of it happening again - road may be poorly lit, or be more challenging to navigate, or a myriad of other reasons.

Soldato
OP
Parking on the road will always have an increased risk element. The fact that someone has now crashed into your car parked on the road could be argued that there's an increased risk of it happening again - road may be poorly lit, or be more challenging to navigate, or a myriad of other reasons.

Or, he was on his phone...

Soldato
Or, he was on his phone...

I'm not disagreeing with what happened. The last few replies we were talking about why you're likely to see an elevated premium cost trough no fault of your own.

So even though you would likely have already paid a slightly higher premium for the risk factor of parking on the road. Insurance companies will now see that road as having an increased chance of an accident and could well penalise you for the extra risk.

Soldato
OP
I'm not disagreeing with what happened. The last few replies we were talking about why you're likely to see an elevated premium cost trough no fault of your own.

So even though you would likely have already paid a slightly higher premium for the risk factor of parking on the road. Insurance companies will now see that road as having an increased chance of an accident and could well penalise you for the extra risk.

But, i dont always park there. I understand insurance companies reasons but still stinks that they put ur insurance up even though accident no fault of mine

Soldato
But, i dont always park there. I understand insurance companies reasons but still stinks that they put ur insurance up even though accident no fault of mine

indeed, for a non-fault the premise is the party who caused the accident is the one demonstrating themselves to be a greater risk and therefore in need of inflated premiums.

but, apparently statistics disagree with us.....

Got to wait now to hear if car worth fixing or not...guessing insurance company will let me know that, not the garage..

Yes but

Its worth speaking to the garage to see what they say about it.
Depending how bad it is, its quite possible the repair will be uneconomic, but that it can be done for a reasonable amount. You can often buy the car back from the insurer and get it repaired for far less than the full quote. Second hand bumper, that sort of thing.
Not always the case, depends what actual damage has been caused.

A lot depends on do you like the car, would you have kept the car etc
Used car prices are silly right now and if you need to go shopping for one your going to end up paying more than its really worth. Who knows when the correction will come, but used prices will fall back down eventually. Firstly we need new car supply to be restored, then we need to see the discounts return on new cars, then the used prices will start to correct fairly quickly. It could be 1-2 years out yet.

Soldato
indeed, for a non-fault the premise is the party who caused the accident is the one demonstrating themselves to be a greater risk and therefore in need of inflated premiums.

but, apparently statistics disagree with us.....

It sucks I had non fault accident in August Uber delivery on a moped was checking his phone and rear ended me at traffic lights watched him in my rear mirror but couldn't do anything about it .He didn't speak a word of English so passed it too my insurance all settled now as non fault . My son got his 1st car last week and put me as additional driver we forgot to put my accident down so went back and added it to the quote as non fault , the premium increased by £170 absolute BS :mad: .

Soldato
Given the current buoyant market for used cars make sure the amount they offer is sufficient to replace it like for like, be prepared to negotiate hard.

Soldato
Well my insurers have just noted it on their records but the DVLA want me to get a D4 medical form completed. This would have been the case if I was renewing my license and had mentioned the Anxiety at that time.

Went to see my GP this morning, he's filled out the form and declared me fit to drive.

Back
Top Bottom