BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Try the “magic” link https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240 . My address shows a discount on here but not on the general deals page.

I’ve been on Sky FTTP for a year now and it’s been fine, only issue was some sort of DNS outage a few months back but other than it it’s fine.
Recently gone live here in Chippenham for FTTP. Clicked the link but £39.99 offer only gives me a Fibre 300 deal and no mention of Fibre 900. I've got another 8 months on my Plusnet deal though so I think BT is the only place I can move to without penalty. More research I think.

Man of Honour
I've got another 8 months on my Plusnet deal though so I think BT is the only place I can move to without penalty.
Everything I've read regarding moving from FTTC with PlusNet to FTTP with BT seems to suggest you'll not have to pay any early termination fees.

Caporegime
Can you use the new Sky Ultrafast hub with your existing FTTC connection? It has a purple socket for the RJ-11 connector. And thank the maker you get three ethernet ports now! :D That works out just nice for Xbox, PlayStation and PC.

V F

V F

Soldato
Can you use the new Sky Ultrafast hub with your existing FTTC connection? It has a purple socket for the RJ-11 connector. And thank the maker you get three ethernet ports now! :D That works out just nice for Xbox, PlayStation and PC.

When the time comes, I ain't going to lie but after being on a Billion router for 3 years, the lack of control on that Sky hub is going to make me feel very disappointed. You have no choice to double NAT with the FTTP router.

Soldato
Try the “magic” link https://www.bt.com/campaign/full-fibre-240 . My address shows a discount on here but not on the general deals page.

I’ve been on Sky FTTP for a year now and it’s been fine, only issue was some sort of DNS outage a few months back but other than it it’s fine.

Only up to 300mb there and it's the same price as 500mb still lol.

Associate
Openreach installed my fttp yesterday and all working fine, getting the full 500 that sky promised.

Only problem might be the actual cable install. When the 1st engineer come he pulled the cable to my upstairs maisonette and said I would be using the box already installed when downstairs went to fttp. 2nd engineer put another one in next to the other one which is located on downstairs wall next to their door. Then ran the cable up the wall and in to my place, cable just runs up downstairs wall and does look a bit crap. Plus the hole he’s drilled for the cable to enter has chipped the brick. I’m rented so couldn’t care less and I think downstairs are housing association, she seems ok but the bloke seems like an arse so will see if they kick off about it.

Soldato
Had a call with BT this morning booking in an engineer for 1 November when im due to move house.

Operate assured me the property was ready to go with a quick install which im assuming is the usual jargon till the engineer visit.

Looking on the broadband checker my new address comes up as

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG pre built to the curtilage.

Anyone any idea what that means, it also shows KCI2 Assure.

Website shows fibre capability and gives the cabinet number etc. Hoping that means its already piped to the property and just needs connected.

Caporegime
It means the fibre exists at the property boundary - like the little plastic covers in the road that Virgin Media use. On the install day you will get a cable run out of there to your house.

Associate
@Joeyuk So you had two different engineers on the same day? One does the pole installation and another drills the hole/fits the box inside?

No 1st engineer turned up last week and just run the cable from the box to my property. I didn’t know he’s was coming he just turned up. 2nd engineer was the planned one and he finished the install. Guess if they don’t have work todo they just send engineers out to do prep work for installs to speed them up.

Caporegime
No 1st engineer turned up last week and just run the cable from the box to my property. I didn’t know he’s was coming he just turned up. 2nd engineer was the planned one and he finished the install. Guess if they don’t have work todo they just send engineers out to do prep work for installs to speed them up.

Thanks. That was the same at my Mum's. But I've not had anyone visit yet, the booked appointment is on Monday. I can see the 2nd one coming with no fibre to the pole ready for him. :D

Associate
Thanks. That was the same at my Mum's. But I've not had anyone visit yet, the booked appointment is on Monday. I can see the 2nd one coming with no fibre to the pole ready for him. :D

The 1st engineer was only here an hour tops I reckon, he just pulled the cable to my property and left. 2nd one was just over an hour but was probably one of his easiest installs apart from the ont being in the 2nd floor.

V F

V F

Soldato
The 1st engineer was only here an hour tops I reckon, he just pulled the cable to my property and left. 2nd one was just over an hour but was probably one of his easiest installs apart from the ont being in the 2nd floor.

Lucky you. Two guys came yesterday and dug up the front lawn, put in the ducting, put the grass and slabs back down then left. No cable in the ducting across the front garden.

Associate
Lucky you. Two guys came yesterday and dug up the front lawn, put in the ducting, put the grass and slabs back down then left. No cable in the ducting across the front garden.

My street is all underground cables so they have had a fairly easy time with installs.

1st real test of the new speed with a 10gig download. Steam was reporting very low speed with a 30min download time. Then it went off like a rocket and was done in 2 minutes.

Caporegime
Well here we go. Openreach gentlemen have arrived - 2pm start.

EDIT: Lordy, this is such fun. First issue, they assumed the fibre entry point was to be the same as the copper. I wanted it going round the back instead of front.

Second minor issue was the telephone pole nearest to me is classified as a “D pole” and is too dangerous to climb now even though it’s got the dalek-like fibre box at the very top of it. Could be because the pole has ivy going up it? Slippery when wet, I dunno? So the cable is going an extra 30m or so to the next pole.

EDIT 2: 4pm. Engineer accidentally snapped the new splice in the junction box so a bit more work required to repair that. Didn’t instil much confidence saying it could break again at any time - in a few months or few years! And the ONT box inside can break if it loses power! Barmy.

EDIT 3: Job done at 4.25pm so 2.5 hours.

Overall, the experience was very nerve-wracking for me who would rather die than live without internet. The two engineers were really nice chaps though, very down to earth and explained things.

So let's have a look at the figures, shall we?

I'm over the moon!

YESTERDAY-

qb7eE3f.png

TODAY -
xiNSdkz.png

STEAM - more than 7.5x quicker than before
uAgnOux.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Grats on it mate :) in the end was it much fuss getting the ONT to the location you requested rather than where they assumed it was going? Do you remember was your install classed as a stage 1 or stage 2? Im sure your delighted now its up and running

Caporegime
Grats on it mate :) in the end was it much fuss getting the ONT to the location you requested rather than where they assumed it was going? Do you remember was your install classed as a stage 1 or stage 2? Im sure your delighted now its up and running

No fuss at all - the chaps were just about to order a cherry picker to reach the copper point but they luckily came to me to tell me there would be a delay whilst they waited for it. I told them I wanted it round the back and they almost jumped for joy because they could just do that with their ladders. :D

I didn't read or hear anything about stage 1 or 2 so no idea on that.

And yes, I'm like a pig in mud. Although my anxiety levels are going to take a while to calm down - every time I come into the room I'm checking the ONT on the wall to make sure it's all green lights. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom