petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Southampton
Filled up at Costco, Sainsburys and Tesco so far since all the panic and not failed to stumble on 97/99 yet.

Just not buying there is some sort of conspiracy to deliberately not restock E5 to force us onto E10.

They'd have people claiming it was a money gouging conspiracy if they were delivering the more expensive E5 grades in preference to the E10 and you could only buy 97/99.

Interesting. Nothing here in Horsham area. Checked 4 stations yesterday only 2 were open. Tesco only had 95 and shell was completely shut.

I don't think there's some conspiracy but you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

The fact that e10/95 is prioritized wouldn't surprise me either if they're struggling to deliver fuel in general.

Caporegime
Personal experience and location varies but I’ve not struggled to get 97/99 once when I had to or seen a station where they had other fuels but out of 97/99. I’ve seen stations out of Diesels a lot but has the others, I’ve seen stations with 97/99 and diesel but no E10. They either had 97/99 or they were closed completely generally. When they are open all the ones had 97/99.

my personal experience is totally opposite of that conspiracy which is where I’m filing it under unless I personally see something different.

Soldato
All to keep those subsidised Corn famers in a job producing ...

OK, can we please stop pretending biofuel made from corn is helping the planet and the environment? The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released two of its Working Group reports at the end of last month (WGI and WGIII), and their short discussion of biofuels has ignited a fierce debate as to whether they’re of any environmental benefit at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...al-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/?sh=46bd64867d35

Soldato
So there is a genuine shortage of fuel. Panic buying only works once. Supply can't keep up with regular demand now.

Filled up on the 29th after basically running dry and letting panic buying finish. Approaching 2 weeks later when I would normally refuel and OOS everywhere today.

Soldato
Interesting. Nothing here in Horsham area. Checked 4 stations yesterday only 2 were open. Tesco only had 95 and shell was completely shut.

I don't think there's some conspiracy but you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

The fact that e10/95 is prioritized wouldn't surprise me either if they're struggling to deliver fuel in general.

I'd prioritise higher margin super unleaded if I was running it. Less likely to get accused of profiteering as well if you just keep it at roughly the normal price.

Man of Honour
All the garages I've been past last 2 days have had the yellow covers on the handles of diesel - most seem to have petrol still but that doesn't help me.

The situation has now precipitated an actual supply issue here :( hope it sorts itself out by the next time I need to fill up.

EDIT: Seems couple of garages the other side of town have diesel and they opened up one pump tonight at another - no idea why it was off during the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've put fuel in a few times in the last few days, all at shell garages.

Friday, small one on the A6 only had vpower (fine as it was going in a g82 m4)

Saturday morning, one in Milton Keynes had all types of fuel and no queues, and half the pumps had no cars at them (was about 7.30 on a Saturday!)

One in Somerset had all fuels and no queues.

Seems almost back to normal bar that one small station that only had vpower!

Soldato
All the garages I've been past last 2 days have had the yellow covers on the handles of diesel - most seem to have petrol still but that doesn't help me.

The situation has now precipitated an actual supply issue here :( hope it sorts itself out by the next time I need to fill up.

EDIT: Seems couple of garages the other side of town have diesel and they opened up one pump tonight at another - no idea why it was off during the day.
Completely opposite to around here. I've been trying all weekend to buy petrol and all the garages either have nothing or diesel only!

Soldato
Finally I've managed to find Esso synergy supreme 99+, the petrol station only had diesel and the 99+, didn't have regular unleaded.

The guy working at the petrol station was telling 2 scooter riders that they didn't have unleaded, but on the pump only the regular unleaded had the yellow "no fuel" cover on the nozzles.
I went and asked, what about the 99+? He said.. yeah that one we have... I said great.. have been trying to get that for 10 days...

So I filled up my bike, went back home, got my car and a petrol can went back to the petrol station, still no queue or anything, but I've notice the guy telling another driver that they didn't have unleaded, I said... do you know that the 99+ is still Unleaded petrol right? The guy looked at me and said: yeah.. but people only ask for unleaded not supreme... basically they guy is not even bothered to inform people that the 99ron is still petrol and can be used.

One other guy that was looking for petrol even asked me if was ok to put 99ron in his Honda Jazz, I said as long as it is not diesel, you will be fine, the only problem is the £1.60/l and he said: the guy just told me they didn't have unleaded...
Even that some cars don't take advantage of the 99ron fuel, they still can use it.

Man of Honour
The guy looked at me and said: yeah.. but people only ask for unleaded not supreme... basically they guy is not even bothered to inform people that the 99ron is still petrol and can be used.

Yeah but if he tells people that, what is he going to fill his car up with once it is all gone :D

Man of Honour
Probably an easier life for him to just say no unleaded rather than try and explain why Super is so expensive to someone who obviously doesn't know the difference.

Soldato
Clearly the army are no longer delivering as that provided a boost for a few days now its going sharply in the other direction again!

Soldato
Probably an easier life for him to just say no unleaded rather than try and explain why Super is so expensive to someone who obviously doesn't know the difference.

I'd agree with this. If he says use the super stuff instead then those who weren't even aware of super will start complaining about the steep price increase.

Soldato
People laughed at me when I said there is a supply issue, but it’s clearly not just panic buying that caused the issue. We’re still not back to normal here.
You know the Dinorwig hydro electric station in Wales makes 1kWh for every 3kWh? That means it uses 3kWh of energy to make 1kWh.

The reason why it makes sense is because hydro is instant 'on'.

I imagine the supply problems here are now caused by the fact you can't just temporarily ramp up fuel production for x weeks to get back on top of yourself. You need to let several weeks of what would normally be contingency roll through the country, and it won't always hit exactly the right spots at the right time.

Soldato
Seems an absence of information from petrol resellers on what the forecourt status now is - like a D notice.

BP on the A10 saturday N Cambridge only had one row of pumps open cycling by, so the stretch goal of filling up for any half term departure looks at risk.

Back
Top Bottom