Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Caporegime
What sort of gains can you expect from an exhaust like that?

From a dustbin for a pipe tip? Next to none.
The exhaust performance will still be driven by whatever size it is for the vast majority of its length which will typically be 2 to 3 inches. Obv header design, length and presence of cats etc. are the other key factors.

Soldato
From a dustbin for a pipe tip? Next to none.
The exhaust performance will still be driven by whatever size it is for the vast majority of its length which will typically be 2 to 3 inches. Obv header design, length and presence of cats etc. are the other key factors.
:rolleyes: Right, and I bet you'll say next that the K&N stickers do nothing.

Soldato
^^ There was one of those at a local car show. The current owner looked exactly like the kind of owner that would buy them new :D:cry:

Edit: Ops sorry that is the upmarket version ;)

Soldato
It would still worry many modern performance cars and they have quite a high top speed (because in that era top speed was the trump card).

Caporegime
It would still worry many modern performance cars and they have quite a high top speed (because in that era top speed was the trump card).

it was stupidly fast in its day but 0-60 in 5 seconds is nothing special nowadays and I suspect even round the bends it would lose out more. Incredible how far we have come with cars.

In my days we all wanted Peugeot 205 GTI, golf gti or renault 5 turbo etc and thought of them as high performance hatchbacks when in reality they were all just under 8s time to 60 and nothing special today,

The carlton certainly was blistering to them in comparison but as per the speed thread, 5s is longer a super fast car.

Soldato
it was stupidly fast in its day but 0-60 in 5 seconds is nothing special nowadays and I suspect even round the bends it would lose out more. Incredible how far we have come with cars.

In my days we all wanted Peugeot 205 GTI, golf gti or renault 5 turbo etc and thought of them as high performance hatchbacks when in reality they were all just under 8s time to 60 and nothing special today,

The carlton certainly was blistering to them in comparison but as per the speed thread, 5s is longer a super fast car.

Still quite quick for a manual. I bet they still have quite good in gear pace, but loads of turbo lag low down the rev range. 0-60 times isn't really a good indicator of how quick something is.

They will outrun the speed limited German stuff and go on to around 180mph :p

Last edited:
Associate
I was working at lotus in the parts department for the Carltons overlooking the shop floor where they basically stripped everything out they didnt need and replaced it. I remember being suitably impressed with the 6-speed gear knob as all the cars I had driven only had 4 or 5. :p

Man of Honour
When announced and tested they were incredible. In that era a Porsche Turbo was circa 315bhp, a Ferrari 348 around 300bhp and the F40 and 959 (the first of the hypercars it could be argued) were 400bhp and here was a Vauxhall with 377bhp.

It shows how crazy the world is today with 400bhp hot hatch backs! It also shows why spreadsheets should never be used to determine best!

AMG 45 or F40….both have 400bhp and the Merc has 4WD so it’s better in the corners init

Soldato
When announced and tested they were incredible. In that era a Porsche Turbo was circa 315bhp, a Ferrari 348 around 300bhp and the F40 and 959 (the first of the hypercars it could be argued) were 400bhp and here was a Vauxhall with 377bhp.

It shows how crazy the world is today with 400bhp hot hatch backs! It also shows why spreadsheets should never be used to determine best!

AMG 45 or F40….both have 400bhp and the Merc has 4WD so it’s better in the corners init

The modern hot hatches somehow just don't feel as quick though. The power delivery is very tame, emissions controls seem to kill the responsiveness, numb steering, and I suspect there is just a little bit of "VW figures" involved with the stats (like 0-60 times measured while not really starting at 0 :/) :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom