Spurring off of a boiler circuit

Soldato
Hi guys is there a reason why boilers tend to be on their own ring?

Is there potential to spur off of that ring, looking to install some 12v LED RGBW light strips for a kitchen
just wondered if getting the power from the boiler circuit is going to be feasible or not

Soldato

Is there potential to spur off of that ring, looking to install some 12v LED RGBW light strips for a kitchen
just wondered if getting the power from the boiler circuit is going to be feasible or not

pretty sure the bolier will be on a heavier circuit like 32 AMP or something ?

so it's probably inadvisable, or potentially illegal to run some rgb lights of it...... I wouldn't

Can't you just run them off, maybe the lighting circuit?

Caporegime

It's fine. My electrician spurred off this also for my loft sockets

Caporegime
pretty sure the bolier will be on a heavier circuit like 32 AMP or something ?

so it's probably inadvisable, or potentially illegal to run some rgb lights of it...... I wouldn't

Can't you just run them off, maybe the lighting circuit?

Amp are only top limits (basically)

Soldato
OP
yes I would imagine it would be a higher amp circuit etc would it make a difference if I went for the boiler circuit or the oven/cooker circuit which one would you all choose and why?

ok thanks all.

Soldato
Amp are only top limits (basically)

I understand, but if there's a fault his 12v led lights could now be a conduit for 32 amps into somebody, in the kitchen. but other say it's fine. so maybe it is. I would find another way to put the lights on the lights circuit. Or if it's just a plug, isn't there an actual socket or part of the ring main to tap into ? just then your boiler circuit will no longer be the boiler circuit . It'll be the boiler circuit oh and the 12v kitchen lights circuit. then if these lights develop a fault your boiler stops.

Caporegime
I understand, but if there's a fault his 12v led lights could now be a conduit for 32 amps into somebody, in the kitchen. but other say it's fine. so maybe it is. I would find another way to put the lights on the lights circuit.
The Fcu should safeguard that?

Soldato
The Fcu should safeguard that?

I googled around, seems its permitted as long as the load is fine, and the cable rating is considered, but most people seem to suggest that finding a better way is preferable. Although technically OK, it seems wrong to have lights etc wired on to your boiler circuit. Brilliant for the next guy to come and figure out. OP should wire in a round pin socket for the switched on the lighting circuit i.e. do it properly.

Soldato
I wasn't aware that boilers were 32a... I'm pretty certain they are the same as your 13a sockets.

Only the cooker would be 32a

I thought he meant hot water boiler /immersion tanks but insuppose he might have meant a gas boiler.

thinking about it this house had a spur from the boiler circuit which i removed and replaced with an extra socket on the ring main

Soldato
I thought he meant hot water boiler /immersion tanks but insuppose he might have meant a gas boiler.

thinking about it this house had a spur from the boiler circuit which i removed and replaced with an extra socket on the ring main

You can still do it, many cooker circuits have a socket/switch combo anyway it isn't unsafe. My boiler is on the ring main, that's how they used to do it only from the later regs is it advised boilers be on their own circuit and it isnt because of any safety issue.

Soldato
OP
Yes it is a gas boiler with an immersion tank.. that is not really used via electricty etc

the position of the wiring from the boiler circuit is *potentially* a lot easier than any other circuit
Hence the question here

besides the boiler going down etc
I couldnt also find any other reason here so far or online about why boilers tend to be on their own individual circuit

Caporegime
Yes it is a gas boiler with an immersion tank.. that is not really used via electricty etc

the position of the wiring from the boiler circuit is *potentially* a lot easier than any other circuit
Hence the question here

I couldnt also find any other reason here so far or online about why boilers tend to be on their own individual circuit

You have the same setup as me. Mines also on a 32A. Just same as cooker.

Soldato

There isn't that's why.

As long as the circuit is extended correctly and your new lights are offered the correct protection (fused down) then go for it.

They are typically on there own supply because a fault on ring circuit could leave you without heating and likewise a fault on the boiler could leave you without sockets. (You would just isolate the boiler tbh)

If your boiler develops a fault then you isolate it and if your lights develop a fault you isolate them, no big deal.

Soldato
OP
So the plumber actually plugged the boiler into a socket/plug.

is that just him being lazy or is there a reason why he did it this way as opposed to using a junction box?

Back
Top Bottom