Good spot to live in the Uk?

Soldato
If I moved back to the UK I'd look at Gloucestershire (Cheltenham) first of all. Was the most lovely part of England I've seen and quite good to live there with a family, almost painfully so.

Soldato
i don’t. Parents will sell their house and buy a new one. They are not rich but bought their house ages ago and now retired.

I will sell my flat but still take on a huge mortgage.

Raymond. That’s the point. I’m exploring now. I only really came back to the Uk in 2015 and don’t really know much outside the M25 (and sheffield) for a short time.

while I love what chiswick/ Hammersmith has to offer it’s just too expensive for anything more than a small flat.

im taking Lots of weekend trips to explore and try and find the ideal spot to bring up a child and find a nice quality if life.
bin the uk and move to portugal, spain or germany instead. better quality of life

Soldato
The castle's nice and the high street is ok, but having worked there for years the traffic is a nightmare and there are some proper grotty bits.

Maybe my view has been distorted unfairly but Stratford is for example much nicer.
Yes Warwick's a bit grotty. Nice park though. I work in Stratford and that has more than its fair share of traffic and closed shops. Nice enough on a summers day though.

Soldato
better state pension for one and access to the eu single market without barriers
Well firstly I have always made sure I wouldn't ever be relying on a state pension when/if I do retire, and secondly I can't think of a time I've thought my quality of life has been affected by access to the eu single market without barriers. They seem weird reasons to move somewhere for, if I moved back to Germany, what would change for me as a British citizen?

Some reasons I would (and maybe will) move back to Germany:
Near the mountains
Great cycling infrastructure
Better healthcare than the NHS

But there are reasons I'm back in the UK too, so it all balances out.

Have you ever lived outside the UK out of interest?

Soldato
Well firstly I have always made sure I wouldn't ever be relying on a state pension when/if I do retire, and secondly I can't think of a time I've thought my quality of life has been affected by access to the eu single market without barriers. They seem weird reasons to move somewhere for, if I moved back to Germany, what would change for me as a British citizen?

Some reasons I would (and maybe will) move back to Germany:
Near the mountains
Great cycling infrastructure
Better healthcare than the NHS

But there are reasons I'm back in the UK too, so it all balances out.

Have you ever lived outside the UK out of interest?
Yea i just listed some not all.

You have just listed even more reasons really.

Plus i mentioned two other places, spain and portugal as a alternative.

Those have better weather, nice people and you dont even have to be a millionaire to buy a big house there either.

Yea i lived in vietnam for a while a few years back and had a stint in lisbon too.

I also have businesses with clients around europe so the single market brexit stuff does affect me. Plus my missus is from mainland europe so i have family ties too

Looking to uproot and move away from the UK

Caporegime
bin the uk and move to portugal, spain or germany instead. better quality of life

How long have you loved in Portugal or Spain for and did you own property in either?

Because I would be telling everyone. Spain and Portugal are to be avoided at all costs. You will regret either if you ever did move to them. Any other country within the EU or Europe is fine but those 2 are no go areas if you don't want all your wealth stolen from you.

Soldato
The castle's nice and the high street is ok, but having worked there for years the traffic is a nightmare and there are some proper grotty bits.

Maybe my view has been distorted unfairly but Stratford is for example much nicer.
Fair enough. In a similar way, I grew up in Stratford and think it’s pretty grim.

Soldato
As soon as you get away from the tourist bit it's just another grim middle England town. Lots of scum there too.
Very true. Lots of closed down shops and average bars. A few good restaurants to be fair, but I wouldn’t rush to spend time there.

Soldato
I'd buy a £2mill house with a wing for the childcare..
Not totally daft, get more 'house' for your money buying one £2m Vs two £1m. The difficulty is that the maintenance/running cost of the £2m mansion is likely to be more than two more modest properties.

Other thing to consider would be farms, £2m is a reasonable budget for a 100-150 acre small farm - the land could be sold on (very high demand for smaller parcels there days) or rented out for passive income.

Soldato
West Midlands is really great. The Worcester/Warwickshire countryside is lovey and there are lots of good hospitals around. Money doesn’t go that far in some of the postcodes, but there’s a lot to choose from. Living in Leamington and working in Coventry was a very nice lifestyle! Similarly living in South Birmingham and working in the QE is also very good. Depends on how you envisage your commute.

Back
Top Bottom