What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
Lack of rain channels. If you have the drivers or passengers window open and there is any settled rain/water on the roof, the slightest chamber with turn that water into a waterfall that comes in through the open window covering the door switches, seat cushion, driver. If the car is well waxed so it's beading nicely you get a whole roofs worth at one hit. I know it does it but I still forget every now and again.

Man of Honour
Evoque: The paint marks if you even look at it. The in car entertainment is clunky and slow. It also won't let me drive away first time quite often. If I'm parked in the garage it take about 20 minutes (exaduration) for it to realised the front proximity sensor going off shouldn't stop me reversing out. Half the time it won't release the brake when I want to reverse until it's realised I actually want to go backwards and not forwards. Stupid thing.

Mini: I hate the way the wipers work. Unlike a traditional wiper stalk it's "soft" and works electronically. All that means is you often go to cancel the indicator and then accidentally incicate the wrong way instead. Then you go to cancel that and end up incicating the other direction again. It drives me nuts and has been a particular bug-bear for my daughter leaning to drive. Also lack of water channels similar to the guy above.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we all know there's no such thing as the perfect car (except a BMW 5 series for TWFox!) and we all have to make compromises to get the most suitable.

Since getting my car i've found certain things that annoy me that i hadn't experienced on previous cars.

Mainly around safety features, as the doors auto-lock when you start moving, but the passengers then can't open them unless the driver presses a buttom and unlocks the car. I get not allowing them to be opened from the outside, but i've never known the internal handles to be de-activated also. I'd have thought it was some kind of child lock but i can't find any way to disable it!

The other one is that the electric boot won't open unless the ignition is switched off. So many times i've been dropping someone off and forget resulting in lots of efforts to open the boot, only for me to remember i need to switch the ignition off.

What things annoy you about yours?
I tend to agree with [TW]Fox, although my 5 Series gripe is the fiddly location of the USB port, it was better on the previous gen. I can't get Spotify library etc. up on dash which is a bit annoying as well.

Soldato
There's lots of annoyances - it's noisy (wind/road/diff/gearbox) and sometimes makes you think bits are falling off; no rain channels so you get a wet knee opening/closing the door or window; it's a little bit "crashy" on badly surfaced roads and potholes require back adjustments; standard radio locks-up when it feels like it; thin paint and metal work, just have to look at it and there's a dent, scratch or swirl mark; a Corsa is faster in a straight line; likes to rust; and the worst, the hairdressing "jokes" from the usual brain-dead ***** as if i haven't heard them before.
Sometimes wished i opted for a Z4 or Cayman.

But it likes to go sideways and handles corners and B-roads reasonably well so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man of Honour
Rattles!

F56 Mini.

Don't have any of those but what annoys me about the F56 we have is...... a 2018 car with Pro Navigation and it has NO realtime traffic information and supports none of the online services. Despite the fact that BMW Online has been around since about 2006 (You could send to car from google maps on an E60) and RTTI has been on every BMW with pro nav since 2011. But not on the Mini, which uses exactly the same hardware. So we have a 2018 car with traffic report tech from 1996.

Associate
On the Skoda Kodiaq - the wave-your-foot-and-boot-closes functionality. Never works when you need it, but gets set off when least expecting. I really like the powered boot (being able to open and close the boot from the drivers' seat when dropping kids off, the little buggers never close the boot), but hate the kick to close stuff.

On my Ford KA - been mentioned above, but start/stop continually chooses the worst moment to engage, meaning I stall it occasionally, and you have to switch it off manually every time.

On my Caterham - the immobiliser fob is annoyingly fiddly to use, but the worst is that it uses dzus fasteners (google it) for the nose cone and they are a pain in the butt to undo for the two underneath.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The black trim on the centre console is forever getting fingerprints on it and requires constant dusting to pacify my annoyance.

The electronics are too temperamental too, throwing tantrums on occasion when I do something simple like reverse off a drive.

I have a wheel wobble at the moment after my tyre change, which makes me wonder if I was at the Battle of the Somme in a previous life and I need to find time to get it fixed.

Outside of that it's ****ing epic and makes baby Jesus cry on many levels, which is all good in my book as he is not real.

Soldato
Too much automation.
I want to turn a key, give me an ignition.

It's difficult to think of a single benefit of putting a key in the ignition and turning it over pressing 'Start'.

I've got two, and they're the reasons I had in mind when I saw this thread.

Firstly, the inability to shut off the engine without also killing ignition/accessory power. Quite often, when I was commuting, I would stop at the station on the way home to pick up my girlfriend. It would often mean waiting around for a while in the pickup point; definitely long enough that' I'd want to kill the engine, but keep listening to my music/podcast or whatever. So I'd pull up, press the button, killing the engine and the ignition/power. Which also shut off the head unit. So then I have to press the button again, and wait for the headunit to start up, and then wait for it to connect to my phone, and then continue with whatever was playing. Granted the problem is as much the "long" power up cycle of the headunit, but still, not something you have to worry about with a key...just click it toward you once, kill the engine, leaving the radio on. Not sure if other manufacturers have made a better solution, like perhaps holding the button in if you just want to kill the engine and leave accessory power on.

Secondly, on frosty mornings, I like to start the engine so it can idle and warm up a little while I go and clear the glass. Easy with a key - just lean in, insert key, turn. But with keyless, I have to get in the drivers seat, press the clutch down and then press the start button.
The car is low, and I am fat, so on a cold morning when I'm already annoyed and also wearing gloves, hat and a heavy coat, having to climb in and out of the car just to turn it on was an unnecessary extra step that I used to begrudge, especially when I used to also be parked on a quite heavily sloped driveway.

Very minor things, and on the whole I like keyless entry & go, but these niggles used to irritate me :p

Associate
Keyless sensors only on the front doors, so when putting the kids in first, I have to unlock via front door sensor or take key out and press button.

Bonnet release lever on passenger side because lazy/cost cutting between LHD and RHD versions.

@Conscript I'm not sure the clutch thing you mention is a keyless thing, I'm sure key ignition cars have this as well now to prevent that awful jerk you get if you start it and forget it's in gear.

Soldato
Don't have any of those but what annoys me about the F56 we have is...... a 2018 car with Pro Navigation and it has NO realtime traffic information and supports none of the online services. Despite the fact that BMW Online has been around since about 2006 (You could send to car from google maps on an E60) and RTTI has been on every BMW with pro nav since 2011. But not on the Mini, which uses exactly the same hardware. So we have a 2018 car with traffic report tech from 1996.

I have Pro Nav too. Though I have used it exactly zero times because it looks dated and I much rather use Google maps on my phone. Screen is used for music and tyre pressure only ha.

Soldato
All that means is you often go to cancel the indicator and then accidentally incicate the wrong way instead. Then you go to cancel that and end up incicating the other direction again. It drives me nuts and has been a particular bug-bear for my daughter leaning to drive. Also lack of water channels similar to the guy above.

If it's anything like my e92 indicator, you can cancel the indicator by pressing it the same way again instead of pushing it the other way....no risk of indicating back the other way then...

Back
Top Bottom