New World MMO

Associate
Know a few things you can do if you happen to use a nvidia card but I am a bit anxious about giving advice on here.
Just stuff like not using 4k, capping your frame rate at 60, using afterburner etc to monitor/adjust the power limit so it does not go over 100 etc

I actually put my 1070ti back into my machine than risk a newer card just to be on the safe side till they properly patch stuff. Runs a treat and doesn't get too warm (considering its a blower)

The game seems to run good on anything (especially with the mobile/link gimmick) its just horribly optimised and that really needs sorting.

On a side note.. transfers next week it looks like, thats good

Thanks, it seems to have fixed itself, so maybe it was a server issue.

Soldato
I've played ESO since Beta (so nearly 8 years) and the game has been so quiet since NW came out. I really hope it fails

I bought and played NW but decided it was not for me. Luckly I had only played 114 mins, I know thats not a lot of time to play a mmo and get a good opinion but it was good enough for me, so i got a refund. Thought I would have another bash as ESO. Wow what a contast, I had forgotten how great ESO quests are, there were lots of people playing at the weekend, but definatally less so during a week day, but that seems to pick up in the evenings.
I'll probably give NW another go but its not worth £35 for me.

Associate
I am max level now and the endgame is pretty boring, I have more fun running around gathering stuff than I do completing high level quests :/

I am only lvl 33, the lack of endgame is the reason I am going at a snails pace. 3 weeks in and no insight into their future plans and still battling with their transfer problems means I think they have messed up and lost a lot of players which they won't get back.

V F

V F

Soldato
I am only lvl 33, the lack of endgame is the reason I am going at a snails pace. 3 weeks in and no insight into their future plans and still battling with their transfer problems means I think they have messed up and lost a lot of players which they won't get back.

Funny, reminds me of that movie critique with the guy pointing out that they've forgotten to make things fun.

Soldato
Funny, reminds me of that movie critique with the guy pointing out that they've forgotten to make things fun.

You do realise that it's 2021, right? Anything that's fun and the act of having fun is anathema these days, and anyone daring to try is liable for summary cancellation.

Man of Honour
This is part of why I had concerns about the game and the general lack of MMO knowledge/experience that Amazon had behind this game. Its a major reason in why I said I would wait until Dec 31st to see if the game still has a userbase before considering buying. Hopefully it will still be going strong but this isnt painting a good picture.

Associate
There's lots of issues that need fixing (and should have been fixed before launch) but this guy sounds like he's just lost his Bezos Gold Card access and is pulling a whinge fest.

Personally I think MMOs should be grindy and some crafting stuff should be difficult and gated and as a minor game defence perhaps the devs were assuming Companies would band together to get things done and craft as a team.....with that said though some content (like expedition keys) shouldn't be stuck as bind on pickup with crafters.

Not seen it mentioned but new patch notes (1.0.3) are out: https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/server-transfer-details

V F

V F

Soldato
You do realise that it's 2021, right? Anything that's fun and the act of having fun is anathema these days, and anyone daring to try is liable for summary cancellation.

Well, it's the reason why so many games/movies these days are flopping or extremely short lived.

Man of Honour
There's lots of issues that need fixing (and should have been fixed before launch) but this guy sounds like he's just lost his Bezos Gold Card access and is pulling a whinge fest.

Personally I think MMOs should be grindy and some crafting stuff should be difficult and gated and as a minor game defence perhaps the devs were assuming Companies would band together to get things done and craft as a team.....with that said though some content (like expedition keys) shouldn't be stuck as bind on pickup with crafters.

Not seen it mentioned but new patch notes (1.0.3) are out: https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/server-transfer-details

Its quite a change for him, he really liked the game in beta and at launch, he said at the time that it his opinion of the game was "resoundingly positive" and gave it a very good review. So this isnt a guy who has been against the game from the get-go, quite the opposite, this is a guy who really liked the game for the first half of the game but as its gone on the things that are wrong with it have mounted on him until he has reached a point where he has now done a 180 on his opinion about the game. I guess thats something that happens with MMOs, Age of Conan-syndrome I call it, where the game is superb for the first 30 levels and then rubbishy for the next half of the game. I mean to be fair, some of the things he shows in that video are simply shocking for an MMO, utterly utterly shocking and really does highlight how they simply had no idea how to build an MMO or put in the right mechanics for an MMO behind the scenes. Hopefully they can fix that stuff but right at the moment my decision to wait until Dec 31st to see how the game is doing is looking like a very wise one for me

Associate
I've had time to read the patch notes and two of the big issues mentioned have been fixed as well as an annoying town bug.

• Fixed issues with the T4 and T5 azoth staffs
  • Fixed an issue that caused holding and dragging around the client while in windowed mode to constantly retrigger invincibility.

• Fixed an issue that caused taxes to not go into the controlling company’s treasury.
I'm not sure how some of these big issues persisted through beta tests and into live....I wasn't part of much of it, but during closed there were people clocking over 200 hours of play time and they didn't notice these things? That's poor beta testing right there! I guess they were too busy exploiting to level 60 but at least that was good feedback and got fixed.

There are plenty of streamers who were/are paid to shill the game....when they get cut they turn sour so sometimes a rant is just a baby throwing their toys out of the pram.
You can hear in the video that guy was cut deep.....I bet he's still putting in hours though.

Man of Honour
I've had time to read the patch notes and two of the big issues mentioned have been fixed as well as an annoying town bug.

• Fixed issues with the T4 and T5 azoth staffs
  • Fixed an issue that caused holding and dragging around the client while in windowed mode to constantly retrigger invincibility.

• Fixed an issue that caused taxes to not go into the controlling company’s treasury.
I'm not sure how some of these big issues persisted through beta tests and into live....I wasn't part of much of it, but during closed there were people clocking over 200 hours of play time and they didn't notice these things? That's poor beta testing right there! I guess they were too busy exploiting to level 60 but at least that was good feedback and got fixed.

There are plenty of streamers who were/are paid to shill the game....when they get cut they turn sour so sometimes a rant is just a baby throwing their toys out of the pram.
You can hear in the video that guy was cut deep.....I bet he's still putting in hours though.

Yeah its possible he was just venting, only he can say for certain I guess. I'm going to continue to keep an eye on the game but am also going to continue to wait until Dec 31st before deciding whether or not to buy it. If the population is still strong and not greatly diminished/diminishing at that point then I might jump in some time in January. If the population has dropped away badly then I'll drop any thoughts of getting it but for the next 2 months and 11 days I will continue to watch what happens.

Soldato
but am also going to continue to wait until Dec 31st before deciding whether or not to buy it.

It'll be dead by then. Everyone will have made it to maximum level, figured out there is no end game and got sick and tired of spamming the same few skills over and over again. Yes, you'll have the usual Kool-aid brigade proclaiming it's all fine and the best thing ever, but in reality it will be a dead game.

Associate
Maybe not the best game ever but I have already spent many hours having fun. I can do £35 on two Gin and Tonics and they last about 20 mins so good value in my eyes

Associate
I really can't see how New World would be anything but a huge success. Steam charts are steadily showing hundreds of thousands of players. Compared to, lets say the Elder Scrolls Online, has way less peak time players and even that is considered very popular. Because it is. Ofc I believe ESO has more players using Bethesda launcher than Steam, but still.

in the long run I'd expect this game to have around 80-100k peak time players which still would be a huge number for an MMO. Time will tell.

Man of Honour
I really can't see how New World would be anything but a huge success. Steam charts are steadily showing hundreds of thousands of players. Compared to, lets say the Elder Scrolls Online, has way less peak time players and even that is considered very popular. Because it is. Ofc I believe ESO has more players using Bethesda launcher than Steam, but still.

in the long run I'd expect this game to have around 80-100k peak time players which still would be a huge number for an MMO. Time will tell.

Yeah its difficult to judge ESO numbers because most ESO players were playing it long before it made an appearance on Steam and so will not be showing on the steam charts.

This site estimates 552k players on average per day on ESO, which puts it at 7th on their charts (New World is placed at 9th)

https://mmo-population.com/r/elderscrollsonline#:~:text=How Many People Play The,total player base of 19,395,770.

One pretty amazing figure is that Guild Wars 2 is getting an average of 1 million players a day, pretty good for an older MMO (its 10 years old next year) I imagine a lot of MMOs would like a million a day 10 years later :D , dwarfed of course by the 3.2 million average per day of Final Fantasy

Back
Top Bottom