Help buying an SUV

Associate
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase an SUV but as I've never owned one before I'm after a little advice :).
A few that spring to mind that I like the look of are Toyota RAV 4, Nissan X-trail/Quasqai, Mitsubishi Outlander. I'm not particularly interested in - Audi, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes simply because I want to keep the price down.
I'd prefer the vehicle to be no older than 3 and to be either petrol or hybrid. 4x4 would be nice but not essential and it needs to have an automatic gearbox.
I see Mitsubishi are no longer selling new Outlanders to the EU market (at least that's what I've read). I also had a quick look on Nissans' website and see their used cars have an APR of 9.9% which seems a bit steep to me.
I'll be trading in my current vehicle and more than likely go down the PCP route.
Would you recommend car supermarkets? Are there any other makes/models I should look at?
Any advice would be great.
Ta.

Last edited:
Don
I don't have much advice on the actual cars themselves but I'd seriously consider financing via your bank or some other method than PCP.
PCP on used cars is usually very expensive.

Soldato
I went through my bank and got 2.9% instead of the dealerships 6.9%, saves nearly £2k of interest over the term of the loan.
We went for a Dacia Duster (crossover SUV), they have a model with an automatic gearbox if you choose the 1.3 tce 150ps option for £18.5k, which was the one we test drove. It's was quite nice to drive.

Soldato
Avoid Nissan, utterly terrible build quality and customer support.

How about KIA Sportage/Sorento, or Hyundai Tucson/Sante Fe, or Mazda CX5?

Last edited:
Soldato
Avoid both the Nissans, father in law had both a Qashqai and X-Trail and the Kuga he had after was way better than both of those, definitely look at the Kias or maybe Skodas

Associate
What about Skoda Kodiaq/Karoq? Wife's Karoq was great with auto, etc and well equipped, quiet and comfortable. Really versatile rear seats that slid and could be changed to two individual seats by removing the centre section and sliding them slightly closer together. Seemed very well built and servicing costs were reasonable.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies. The wife and I are off to look at a Toyota RAV4 (newer shape) but will definitely consider the other options people have mentioned. :)

Associate
A friend recently bought a Seat Ateca which is a really good car.

For financing, I got my car from a Seat dealership (got a seat leon) and got financing from them as they added a few extras if I got it from them. I then got a loan from my bank at a much lower interest rate and paid off the full amount to seat after a month

Associate
OP
A friend recently bought a Seat Ateca which is a really good car.

For financing, I got my car from a Seat dealership (got a seat leon) and got financing from them as they added a few extras if I got it from them. I then got a loan from my bank at a much lower interest rate and paid off the full amount to seat after a month
That's an option, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom