The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Just got a call from the estate agent, the property we were buying has been taken off the market, the seller has been unable to secure a mortgage for the property they are buying. A real kick in the teeth for us, we had just had the local searches done and back so not a million miles away from the exchange etc. With COVID and everything we are getting onto looking for nearly 15 months so for this to happen is really crap.
7mths on. Just had an offer accepted on another property, completely different location, price, size and everything else.

The sellers haven't even started looking for a new place by the sounds of it which is no real problem, happy to give them time as we are in rented accomodation and have a minimum 2mths to go anyway. Will just sit back and wait now, got far too invested in the previous property we were buying so will try and not even think about this one till im moving in.

Soldato
7mths on. Just had an offer accepted on another property, completely different location, price, size and everything else.

The sellers haven't even started looking for a new place by the sounds of it which is no real problem, happy to give them time as we are in rented accomodation and have a minimum 2mths to go anyway. Will just sit back and wait now, got far too invested in the previous property we were buying so will try and not even think about this one till im moving in.

Hope it all goes well this time around for you. That must be gutting to get that far and for it to not happen.

Our searches came back just over 2 weeks ago. I emailed the solicitors today for an update and they've sent out some paperwork today so I'm hoping we're very nearly at the point of exchanging. It's horrible being a passenger in the whole situation.

Soldato
Hope it all goes well this time around for you. That must be gutting to get that far and for it to not happen.

Our searches came back just over 2 weeks ago. I emailed the solicitors today for an update and they've sent out some paperwork today so I'm hoping we're very nearly at the point of exchanging. It's horrible being a passenger in the whole situation.
Cheers mate, I hope so also!

Best of luck with your purchase, when you get to that stage you definitely feel like you are close!

Soldato

Best of luck. As i posted here our second agreed house fell through due to the sellers deciding not to move anymore. Definitely not as emotionally invested as the first time, but still a kick in the teeth.

Got an offer in on another place now and maybe another over the weekend.

Estate agents might not like it when you have multiple offers in but sellers get multiple offers, i don't see why a buyer shouldn't get to do the same, especially in this market where waiting on a decision from one can easily mean you miss out on another. As soon as we get confirmation of acceptance we pull the other offer.

Don
Best of luck. As i posted here our second agreed house fell through due to the sellers deciding not to move anymore. Definitely not as emotionally invested as the first time, but still a kick in the teeth.

Got an offer in on another place now and maybe another over the weekend.

Estate agents might not like it when you have multiple offers in but sellers get multiple offers, i don't see why a buyer shouldn't get to do the same, especially in this market where waiting on a decision from one can easily mean you miss out on another. As soon as we get confirmation of acceptance we pull the other offer.

Earlier in the year I had an EA get really upset with me because I pulled an offer on a house after submitting an offer several days earlier for a property they were selling (which hadn't been accepted yet).

We'd made the first offer on a Friday, but the seller said they wanted the weekend to think on it.
We saw a different property over the weekend, made an offer and the seller accepted it
On the Monday we called the original EA and said that we were pulling our offer as we'd found a different property

He proceeded to give me an earful and lots of verbal abuse about not honouring our offer - I have a feeling we had made the highest offer on the property and he was going to have to go back to the vendor with egg on his face after telling them to wait for higher offers over the weekend.

Soldato
Earlier in the year I had an EA get really upset with me because I pulled an offer on a house after submitting an offer several days earlier for a property they were selling (which hadn't been accepted yet).

We'd made the first offer on a Friday, but the seller said they wanted the weekend to think on it.
We saw a different property over the weekend, made an offer and the seller accepted it
On the Monday we called the original EA and said that we were pulling our offer as we'd found a different property

He proceeded to give me an earful and lots of verbal abuse about not honouring our offer - I have a feeling we had made the highest offer on the property and he was going to have to go back to the vendor with egg on his face after telling them to wait for higher offers over the weekend.

We had one that was clearly a bit upset that we'd made multiple offers, but I'd made it clear that whoever accepts first is the one we'll go with. As soon as he told us his clients accepted our offer, I told him to consider that was it.

We're not holding out to see if we prefer one over the other, but I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs waiting for a seller to decide, and miss out on something else in the meantime. We've been gazumped 2 weeks after an accepted offer, we've had sellers pull out due to not selling after a month. I'm not going to go back on an agreement accepted by both sides, but I'm sure as hell not going to miss out on opportunities waiting for someone else.

Don
We had one that was clearly a bit upset that we'd made multiple offers, but I'd made it clear that whoever accepts first is the one we'll go with. As soon as he told us his clients accepted our offer, I told him to consider that was it.

We're not holding out to see if we prefer one over the other, but I'm not going to twiddle my thumbs waiting for a seller to decide, and miss out on something else in the meantime. We've been gazumped 2 weeks after an accepted offer, we've had sellers pull out due to not selling after a month. I'm not going to go back on an agreement accepted by both sides, but I'm sure as hell not going to miss out on opportunities waiting for someone else.

That was my point of view as well. We were told they were waiting for other offers before deciding to accept our offer.

I had no idea if my offer would be accepted, why should I miss out on another property whilst waiting for them? Most houses in my area are still selling in < 48 hours of arriving on the market.

Caporegime
With gazumping, sellers pulling out and other issues it's completely fair to have multiple offers.

Change the law that you can't just back out after an offer is accepted penalty free if you want buyers to put only one offer in

Soldato
Cheers mate, I hope so also!

Best of luck with your purchase, when you get to that stage you definitely feel like you are close!

Thank you! Got some paperwork from the solicitors on Friday, they said the contracts are being sent out for my signature under separate cover. Being a first time buyer I can only assume that that's pretty much the point of exchange.

We're hoping to move end of November or early December so fingers crossed.

Don
Thank you! Got some paperwork from the solicitors on Friday, they said the contracts are being sent out for my signature under separate cover. Being a first time buyer I can only assume that that's pretty much the point of exchange.

We're hoping to move end of November or early December so fingers crossed.

Signing the contracts means you are *ready* to exchange, that's not the actual point in time where you exchange.

Exchange won't happen until the rest of the chain are also ready to exchange (and typically the bottom of the chain, i.e. you, will be ready to exchange before everyone else through virtue of starting first).

Soldato
Signing the contracts means you are *ready* to exchange, that's not the actual point in time where you exchange.

Exchange won't happen until the rest of the chain are also ready to exchange (and typically the bottom of the chain, i.e. you, will be ready to exchange before everyone else through virtue of starting first).

Yes that makes sense, that's pretty much what I meant really. I don't actually know what position our sellers are in yet. I do know when we first viewed the house they had already found somewhere, so hopefully they're making good progress.

I can't wait for it to be over, this whole waiting game where it can all still fall through is consuming me, its exhausting.

Associate
So perhaps someone can enlighten me a bit here, first time buyer and all.

Just had a message through from our broker saying that our application has been approved subject to valuation. Now reading this I take it to mean they're happy with lending us the money assuming the house is worth what its been sold for? For what it's worth the lender is Natwewt and it seems from reading online they only instruct valuation once they're willing to lend?

Soldato
So perhaps someone can enlighten me a bit here, first time buyer and all.

Just had a message through from our broker saying that our application has been approved subject to valuation. Now reading this I take it to mean they're happy with lending us the money assuming the house is worth what its been sold for? For what it's worth the lender is Natwewt and it seems from reading online they only instruct valuation once they're willing to lend?

All correct. They will now value the house and compare that to what you've offered. If they value the house at £250k and you've offered £260k you'll need to either renegotiate down or find £10k in cash to complete the deal. Most valuations come back spot on with what you've offered unless it's wildly out, an unusual property, no local market data to go on (a road with no sales for the past 3 years) or a new build.

Associate
All correct. They will now value the house and compare that to what you've offered. If they value the house at £250k and you've offered £260k you'll need to either renegotiate down or find £10k in cash to complete the deal. Most valuations come back spot on with what you've offered unless it's wildly out, an unusual property, no local market data to go on (a road with no sales for the past 3 years) or a new build.
Hopefully no issues then, we're aware it was priced to the higher end of what you'd expect but it's also been thoroughly renovated recently so I'd imagine that justifies it. In an area where prices seem to be in a continuous, fast climb too, I.e. it's a 900sqft semi at £255k, there's now 700sqft terraced nearby listed online for £10k less

Soldato
3rd time lucky hopefully.

Crazy day. Recieved a call from one estate agent that an offer was accepted and within 2 minutes a call from the other saying that the second offer we had on was also accepted.

We'd said we'd take the first to accept, as it was so close we took the one we like the most. Now they get to tell someone else they've got a chance.

No chain as it's vacant and we're first time.

Paperwork and mortgage application now.

Bets on the mortgage screwing us somehow?

Soldato
3rd time lucky hopefully.

Crazy day. Recieved a call from one estate agent that an offer was accepted and within 2 minutes a call from the other saying that the second offer we had on was also accepted.

We'd said we'd take the first to accept, as it was so close we took the one we like the most. Now they get to tell someone else they've got a chance.

No chain as it's vacant and we're first time.

Paperwork and mortgage application now.

Bets on the mortgage screwing us somehow?
Waiting for you to come back and tell us the lender offered their cash to someone else as well and they've accepted it :p

Out of interest did you go with the first or second caller?

Associate
First time buyer here also. I can't believe how slow and annoying the process can be. Thankfully I have managed to avoid EA's completely thanks to knowing someone who wanted to downsize. It's made the process easier, with no worries about being beaten to the punch. But boy, I will certainly be in no hurry to go through all this again anytime soon!

Soldato
I just emailed my solicitor to ask if there was a rough completion date we're working towards so I can get an idea of planning the move. She just emailed back saying we're hoping to complete by the end of this month! That's come as a bit of a surprise, I was expecting another 4-8 weeks yet!

Back
Top Bottom