Secret Hobbies ?

Associate
I do 15th century re enacting. War of the Roses stuff, I'm an archer but steadily getting more and more kit. I also have an interest in UAP's. I have passing hobbies and interests that I cycle through as well.

hux

hux

Soldato
I saw people use these, looks ideal? nice and pointy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AT9X67K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A30DC7701CXIBH&psc=1

I saw a video on the build (Adam Savage) and a few reviews and they all say how rewarding this build is and how logical it is in terms of layers. It is also a new design and from what I can tell, the way it is put together is different to a lot of other kits which makes it goof for a beginner as well as expert.

You really find having to focus a rather calming experience. And odd as it sounds, the size helps a lot.
Thanks for the pen, looks like I'll be getting one, I'm half tempted to get another build.

I was looking at the Unicorn Gundam kit at around 250 quid. Any advice? I've never built one before

The Unicorn might be a bit much for a first build, real grade is still detailed but much cheaper.
You won't go far wrong, but it'll be a shame to hurt one at that price.
I just went for whatever I fancied, Real grade is still detailed so most start there.

Decent nippers like gods hands, a quality craft knife, fine tweezers, cutting board and modelling cement will get you going. Oh and flexible sanding pads, for smoothing out any nubs.
Panel lining and decals can come after the build, stickers are poor so most buy water slides.

Anything else?

Man of Honour
I'm more open these days but I didn't use to share IRL the fact I do competitive gaming (since before eSports was a word). I went to an event in Sweden back in 2003 but didn't tell anyone other than my dad it was for gaming.

I did the most nerdiest things known to mankind as a hobby when I was like 10 years old

Created a list of websites in a paper notebook. Had over 600 on there.

Please don’t ask why I did that, I don’t even know myself
Sounds like a good backup strategy, won't lose your bookmarks if you computer fails!

Commissario
I'm more open these days but I didn't use to share IRL the fact I do competitive gaming (since before eSports was a word). I went to an event in Sweden back in 2003 but didn't tell anyone other than my dad it was for gaming.

Sounds like a good backup strategy, won't lose your bookmarks if you computer fails!
Especially as for a long time there wasn't necessarily an easy way to save/import favourites between browsers.
I tend to forget that at one point you had to explicitly put in the http and www parts as browsers didn't do it automatically, or that it's not too long ago that browsers only did one tab at a time.

Soldato
You really find having to focus a rather calming experience. And odd as it sounds, the size helps a lot.
Thanks for the pen, looks like I'll be getting one, I'm half tempted to get another build.

The Unicorn might be a bit much for a first build, real grade is still detailed but much cheaper.
You won't go far wrong, but it'll be a shame to hurt one at that price.
I just went for whatever I fancied, Real grade is still detailed so most start there.

Decent nippers like gods hands, a quality craft knife, fine tweezers, cutting board and modelling cement will get you going. Oh and flexible sanding pads, for smoothing out any nubs.
Panel lining and decals can come after the build, stickers are poor so most buy water slides.

Anything else?
What about the Gundam marker pens? Worth it?

Soldato

Tbh I've been into gaming since the late 90s and I didn't realise esports was a thing until much more recently (probably late 2000's). I guess once somethings popular its easy to make money from.

hux

hux

Soldato
What about the Gundam marker pens? Worth it?
Sort of, they have their uses for bigger pieces, but I find getting them to mark can be hit and miss.
The suggestion Raymond gave, looks to be a far better solution.
I use accent panel wash, which is dead easy to use, and wipe off if it goes amiss.
Just a tissue and some pointed qtips are good, I find even those magic erasers are good, for general wiping without touching the panel line itself.

It sounds complicated, but once you're into it, it's quick to pick up.

Back
Top Bottom