**** Please enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account ****

Associate
I guess ultimately 2FA is worth it for stuff that matters ( emails, bank accounts). A forum where you can post stuff and that's about it feels a little overkill for forced 2FA?

Soldato
This works on my PC etc. but couldn't get it to work on my Android phone.

I have webmail on my phone and if I open this, then go to the browser and open OCUK Forum it opens and says it has sent me a code. When I go back to the OCUK screen again it says it has sent me a code. The code I get is always 1 step behind the OCUK code input screen as I an only have one app open at a time!!

How do I get around this please? Mel

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I guess ultimately 2FA is worth it for stuff that matters ( emails, bank accounts). A forum where you can post stuff and that's about it feels a little overkill for forced 2FA?
There's a lot of money changing hands in the member's market. There is no way to specify a granular level of control for those who don't want to use it (and by proxy give up their right to use the MM), so it's on for everyone.

The argument that certain sites don't warrant 2FA is a sticky one... who defines which sites are overkill and which aren't? I personally have it enabled everywhere that I can, but I can see what you're saying.

My personal feeling is that databases get leaked and passwords dumped all the time. I want to protect myself from any future leak, even if I know all my logins are unique. It only takes one re-used password somewhere and some nefarious person could be snooping on a site that does matter. For the sake of an extra 30s a month, that's a trade off I can reasonably make.

Soldato
I have two logins -one for shop and one for forum-- seems I have messed up the shop one.

As usual with this sort of problem I am on the point of throwing whole lot out of the window -So will come back another day.
Thanks all - at least forum 2FA has worked on email.

Soldato
If you're this easily confused into thinking other unrelated websites are your bank then it's probably best you have some additional security.

fred-savage-thumbs-up.gif

But Is this now mandetory?

All on page 1, first post - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35166113

Soldato
I really don’t know why folk are getting their knickers in a twist here. I already use the MS Authenticator App for work so took seconds to add OcUK. Punch in a code once a month. Why all the drama?

I think this thread highlights why so many people "get hacked" and face issues with accounts being compromised. Of all the kinds of forums out there, OCUK, a place you would expect largely technically literate folk to frequent, we have pages and pages of complaints about how much of an impact this is on them and how hard it is to setup and what not. I'm baffled. Even if I had to download the authenticator app from scratch from the playstore, I still think I could get in for the first time in under 1 minute. Then it's done. I just logged in from a different device and got a pop up and it took me all of 10 seconds to pick up my phone and type in a code which will last for 30 days so...

Associate
There is no way to specify a granular level of control for those who don't want to use it (and by proxy give up their right to use the MM), so it's on for everyone.
It would be a trivial task in XenForo to only allow access to MM if you have 2FA enabled. Problem is that if someone's account is stolen then the hacker can just enable 2FA themselves to gain access. I'd suggest giving people the option to permanently disable MM access on their accounts to remove the 2FA requirement.

Back
Top Bottom