What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
You are paying someone $300 to keep your car at 80kmh for 20 mins?

It'll be a forced regen of the DPF* and they'll just leave it running in the workshop. Although @Vandle should do a Google as it might be something they can do themselves.

Edit - *alternatively they might physically clean the DPF where they run a concoction through it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve got a Smart Fortwo, I can’t think of anything that annoys me about it. I don’t like the stop start system but I’ve got into the habit of switching it off every time I start the car.

Apart from that everything is good, don’t need CarPlay as it has Android Auto and I bought a relatively inexpensive second Android phone to use with it. Main phone is an iPhone.

Soldato
It'll be a forced regen of the DPF* and they'll just leave it running in the workshop. Although @Vandle should do a Google as it might be something they can do themselves.

Edit - *alternatively they might physically clean the DPF where they run a concoction through it.
I'm not entirely sure what they d to be honest. Doubt it's something I could do at home once it hits red and puts the car into limp mode. It's not that big a deal as I used to do a lot of driving so it rarely happened but we've basically been in lockdown for almost all of the last 18 months so not been doing anything other than short infrequent trips - which the engine clearly doesn't appreciate!

Soldato
Bottle of redex advanced diesel cleaner and cruise would do the job :)

34 seems okay for a GLC. Which engine? 2L

My dad averages around 27 in a diesel cayenne :p

2.2d iirc. I think it’s just that most of my driving is town driving. Got a trip to Manchester next week, so hopefully that’ll help get the average up. If you see a black GLC doing 60 on the motorway leaving Scotland with Garth Brooks playing, give me a beep!

Soldato
2.2d iirc. I think it’s just that most of my driving is town driving. Got a trip to Manchester next week, so hopefully that’ll help get the average up. If you see a black GLC doing 60 on the motorway leaving Scotland with Garth Brooks playing, give me a beep!

34 is definitely okay for town driving! I’m sure you’ll see north of 40 on your trip, probably more :cool:

Soldato
Rain sensors are random. Sometimes I have to put into manual. Then the odd time when its dry, they sweep across my windscreen.
When I plugged my phone in the USB port, it switches off the volume, despite putting radio onto usb or aux mode.

Soldato
The auto headlight sensor on my Alphard is pretty useless. It does work....but doesn't have any sensible threshold management....so around dusk it ends up flicking the lights on and off as the light varies slightly due to cloud.

Man of Honour
Headlights is another that annoys me. They are rubbish for such a car and need me (partly due to age and eyesight too) to run full beam on dark roads. The auto beams work well 95% of the time to be fair, but they just don't illuminate enough.

Still not had a car that matched my old F10 530D 'round the corner' jobbies.

Soldato
You don’t use it when you’re parked up? :eek:

It mainly annoys me because the last few cars I’ve had were electronic and I’m used to just putting the car in gear and driving off and I keep dragging the handbrake in this one

No, absolutely not, why would I? the car can't move in park.

Associate
Audi A4 S-Line. The suspension is shocking. Every pothole or grid and the whole car thumps and shakes. The voice-controlled SatNav is atrocious at understanding something as simple as a postcode. The latter I can live with as I’ll use Android Auto but the suspension is fast becoming a major pain in the backside.

Caporegime
The V6 3l VW Touareg gearbox. Quite possible the worse auto gearbox ever made or the worst programmed one. The car is great, bundles of performance and torque at low revs. But when you put your foot down to pull out of a junction or overtake there is gap long enough to make an omelette in (in reality its probably less than a second) so you keep pushing the go pedal more because you are barely moving and then the gearbox finally wakes up, senses your have your foot almost to the floor, drops the gearbox down to second gear and the rev counter jumps to 5000 rpm and you are launched forward like from a catapult.

This is my second vw touareg and i have got used to it so always start accelerating before i need to and never very hard on the accelerating and then i move forward at a decent brist pace in a sensible gear,. From there you can then keep pushing the accelerator more and the car will go up through the gears rapidly until you are very quickly doing in excess of the speed limit (easy to hit 120mph without even realising it)

My gf doesnt drive it very often so she always gets caught out and apologises as I am slammed back into the passenger seat.

What gets me is that its the same gearbox and engine as in the Audi and Porsche and neither of those two cars have this problem.

Associate
After 10yrs and 100k miles of ownership I have little to complain about with my Abarth apart from paint lacquer has gone a bit dull but I've never done much in the way of paint care and I have a squeaky seat, but you'd squeak too if you had 150kgs of me bouncing up and down on you. :D

Been a great car, will I fix the seat if replace the car who knows :D

Soldato
After 10yrs and 100k miles of ownership I have little to complain about with my Abarth apart from paint lacquer has gone a bit dull but I've never done much in the way of paint care and I have a squeaky seat, but you'd squeak too if you had 150kgs of me bouncing up and down on you. :D

Been a great car, will I fix the seat if replace the car who knows :D

Mine has 106k miles and needed rear bearings, rear shocks and new exhaust mounts recently. The springs are also very rusty so those will need doing soon.

The gear selector bushing broke too (replaced with a solid, non rubber one used on the Punto, much better gear changes too!).

Associate
But when you put your foot down to pull out of a junction or overtake there is gap long enough to make an omelette in (in reality its probably less than a second) so you keep pushing the go pedal more because you are barely moving and then the gearbox finally wakes up, senses your have your foot almost to the floor, drops the gearbox down to second gear and the rev counter jumps to 5000 rpm and you are launched forward like from a catapult.

Oh yes. Audi A1 35TFSI. Motorway driving when you want a bit of acceleration is annoying. Put your foot down and the response is poor, so you push a bit further and it’s kick down time to the lowest gear possible with red line revs, before a microsecond later, it picks a higher gear. I’ve had the car a year now and thought it was the way I was driving but evidently not

Other annoyances are:
  • The constant beeping. Yes I know I’ve just driven over a pothole, no point in telling me about it afterwards
  • The ****** radio that never turns off. No matter what state you leave it in, when you start up it defaults to about 15% volume
  • Want satnav? Make sure your phone’s physically plugged in ‘cos we are not Bluetoothing that. Want to use the music stored on your phone? Make sure you physically unplug it ‘cos it’ll only work over Bluetooth….yeah, I know I should take evening classes in Audi MMI
  • Quoted £252 for an oil and filter change - lol
The other annoyance is all my moaning :p

Soldato
The VW based cars have been like that for a long time. The throttle response is so lethargic. You can plant your foot to the floor and there is an obvious delay before the engine even responds at all.

They never seem to be able to get the simple stuff right which makes a car enjoyable to use.

Last edited:
Associate
Amazed by how many of these complains can be ‘coded’ out with a bit wizardry

M140i
- rattles
- road noise
- tissue paper paint

Back
Top Bottom