• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Capitalism doesn't make products bucko, workers do.

Technological advancement isn't inextricably tied to capitalism, and the version we have isn't a free market in any sense. It's late stage capitalism where the corporate monopoly reigns supreme.

Yes, let's marvel at all the famous communist electronic entertainment products coming out of Russia and China in the 70's and 80's...

Associate
Yes, let's marvel at all the famous communist electronic entertainment products coming out of Russia and China in the 70's and 80's...

The irony is that right now many things we used to make fun of in communism are starting to apply to us:

- People with university degrees serving tables and flipping burgers? Check
- Shortages? Partial check
- Queues for certain goods? Personal check, every thursday for GPUs...

Associate
The irony is that right now many things we used to make fun of in communism are starting to apply to us:

- People with university degrees serving tables and flipping burgers? Check

- Shortages? Partial check
- Queues for certain goods? Personal check, every thursday for GPUs...

Soviet* communism surely.

While the USSR spend hugely on state education and medical care (at least post-Stalin), China seems to leave everything to the market.

* and by extension Eastern European countries under their influence.

Associate

Aside from Tetris being created by a Soviet software engineer, I guess they were just too busy inventing the world's first implantable artificial heart, the world's first space station and the world's first mobile telephone device :p

Caporegime
Mining for £3.70 a day is obviously a lot for those on Universal Credit, helps to make up for what the government have recently taken from them :D

Everything I held from mining in 2017 is worth £8K per month now. I guess I should stop mining because it's only worth £3.70 right now like all the noobs told me to back in 2017.

Soldato
Aside from Tetris being created by a Soviet software engineer, I guess they were just too busy inventing the world's first implantable artificial heart, the world's first space station and the world's first mobile telephone device :p

Meanwhile, the list of things democratic countries invented is thousands of times longer... And includes the GPU, which was kind of the point.

A quick Google also suggests Motorola created the first mobile phone in 1973.

Technically Hitler's Germany invented the nuclear bomb and reactor, not that it did them much good...

I mean they created one video game... And what was that actually released on? IBM PC, because the Russian computer it was developed on had no graphics output.

Your examples only go to show how humans are capable of doing the research, but under a communist system that research is abandoned if its leaders deem it not worthy of production. Even space tech is now being driven by private companies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Too much salt in this thread.

Stop blaming capitalism because you can't afford a GPU upgrade. Especially when you clearly have no idea what free market capitalism is. Hint: without it there wouldn't be any GPU's to buy as they wouldn't exist.

Really?

Then how did we advance from the Stone age>Bronze age>Iron age?

How did irrigation and farming come about? How were the first cities built? How did writing and alphabets develop? How did we learn to build ships?

How about Science, Maths, Astonomy, Medicine, Philosophy, Art?

I don't think you know anything about free-market capitalism apart from: Buy things good. No buy things bad.

Soldato
Really?

Then how did we advance from the Stone age>Bronze age>Iron age?

How did irrigation and farming come about? How were the first cities built? How did writing and alphabets develop? How did we learn to build ships?

How about Science, Maths, Astonomy, Medicine, Philosophy, Art?

I don't think you know anything about free-market capitalism apart from: Buy things good. No buy things bad.

Actually almost everything you've listed advanced because there was money to be made from it.
Gold underpinned society from at least 10,000 years ago, at the very least, probably a lot longer.
The earliest writing we have is only about 5000 years old, so gold coins existed for at least double the length of time that writing has.

Soldato
Actually almost everything you've listed advanced because there was money to be made from it.

If money exists, there's money to be made, that doesn't mean Capitalism was the reason irrigation for example was invented...

These developments were made without Capitalism, and they weren't driven by Capitalism either, money changed hands after their development just as it had before...

Currency isn't Capitalism, a basic barter system may well have existed before the earliest currencies anyway, but that's not Capitalism either.

Money was made as a result of progress, thousands of years before Capitalism, but irrigation, farming came from neccesity and human inegnuity, cave paintings, any form of culture in fact came about because we're human, and none of it had anything to do with making money or Capitalism.

We didn't develop through the ages listed because there was money to be made from it either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m keeping an eye out for a 3080 FE still though whether they will ever reappear I don’t know.

I hope to be perfectly happy with my GeForce Now RTX 3080 subscription when it is released in a few weeks.

koh

koh

Associate
Capitalism and State versions of Capitalism like Russia, Cuba, China etc are a recent stage in human history. Any inventions/developments like GPUs are 'born' on the shoulders of what was developed before Capitalism, free market or State run Capitalism, as humans moved from pre history to slavery, feudalism and now Capitalist commodity production.

Back
Top Bottom