Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
How accurate is the GPS though?

Or are you alowed good accuracy at low speeds? I know ow if you go above a certain speed civilian GPS will give you an error as it think you've made a guided missile

GPS is very good over longer distances i e. higher speeds.

Soldato
51? That's an odd number, maybe some of the cars I get stuck behind have the same limiter fitted:cry:.

Probably a commercial vehicle of some type like a crane.

It's one of these.

51 was chosen as the company was told they needed to do at least 50mph for motorway travel & given the limiter variances of +/- 1mph some will only do 50, others will do 52. Unless the limiter fails and you end up doing 75 because you don't bother checking the speedo and have your foot flat. :cry:

VV4Ruls.jpg

Caporegime
It's one of these.

51 was chosen as the company was told they needed to do at least 50mph for motorway travel & given the limiter variances of +/- 1mph some will only do 50, others will do 52. Unless the limiter fails and you end up doing 75 because you don't bother checking the speedo and have your foot flat. :cry:

VV4Ruls.jpg

I'd imagine that 75 in one of those could get a bit... interesting :eek:

Soldato
Today I witnessed a near miss on a junction about 5 miles from here and it’s an accident hot spot. As I was approaching the lights, they turned amber and I stopped at the lights. Three seconds later, a car sped on the lane to my left and a few cars going in a perpendicular direction had to swerve or emergency braked.

The junction is a very important one as it’s just off the motorway and it’s between a retail park and a massive supermarket. There’s a speed/red light camera there and makes absolutely nothing to stop idiots jumping the red light and speeding.

Associate
Had someone cut me up on the exit to a roundabout this morning by overtaking me and cutting in front on the exit. To be fair he put his hand up, it’s a weird roundabout and I just shook my head. Turns out it was another parent at my sons school after I followed him there :rolleyes: :o

Told him I nearly crashed into him when I saw him after dropping my son into class. Not sure he gave a **** and I probably sounded like a ******* :D

Soldato
Just as an addition, is it me or does there now seem to be a worrying trend in cars with BOTH brakes lights out with only the 3rd/high-level brake light working? ~

IMO more than one light out should be an endorsable offence.
Yes, and more annoyingly it's often on modern cars which likely have a dash warning for it...

Soldato
I just get the people that are somehow offended they've been overtaken by a van.

You catch up with them on the motorway, they are doing 60 till you overtake them then suddenly they are doing 75... You pull back in behind and they slow down to 60. Rinse and repeat..

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Nothing worse then middle lane hoggers that do 60/55 and don't even budge. They think they own the middle lane. Then you overtake have a quick glance and they don't even care.

These lot need shooting.

Soldato
Probably should introduce a compulsory driving test every 5/10 years. Otherwise standards slip and more accidents occur as there are more and more cars on the road.

Soldato
Probably should introduce a compulsory driving test every 5/10 years. Otherwise standards slip and more accidents occur as there are more and more cars on the road.

But there aren't enough examiners to cover current test numbers, hence weeks of waiting prior to Covid and even worse now due to backlogs.

Excluding new tests you'd need 277,000 test slots per day.

In 2019 the highest number of new tests taken in a single day was 3,173 (approx figure using monthly start of 73,000 tests taken in October 2019, divided by 23 weekdays)

BTW this is just practical tests not theory too.

Back
Top Bottom