Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
Probably should introduce a compulsory driving test every 5/10 years. Otherwise standards slip and more accidents occur as there are more and more cars on the road.

I think the issue is lack of enforcement honestly once upon a time if you broke the limit/behaved like an arse then you'd have the blues and twos after you in no time. Today its the wild west out there no-one is going to rope you in and they know it. Vans dangerously overtaking on a blind hill cars blocking the outside lane, cars cutting in at the last minute sports cars doing at least 120mph I've seen it all this week and its by no means unusual.

Soldato
I think the issue is lack of enforcement honestly once upon a time if you broke the limit/behaved like an arse then you'd have the blues and twos after you in no time. Today its the wild west out there no-one is going to rope you in and they know it. Vans dangerously overtaking on a blind hill cars blocking the outside lane, cars cutting in at the last minute sports cars doing at least 120mph I've seen it all this week and its by no means unusual.
That's why they love to catch speeders, it's easy money. Catching somebody not indicating when changing lane and almost causing a pile up is hard to do so they go for the low hanging fruit.

Man of Honour
cars cutting in at the last minute sports cars doing at least 120mph I've seen it all this week and its by no means unusual.

Funny thing is the people doing crazy speeds don't even come close to the top 10 worst drivers I've seen in the last few weeks - in fact they are often driving better than most :(

Caporegime
Funny thing is the people doing crazy speeds don't even come close to the top 10 worst drivers I've seen in the last few weeks - in fact they are often driving better than most :(

Same. I conversely find the slowest drivers to be the cause of most issues. They're normally the ones in the wrong lane at a roundabout or braking for no clear reason.
They're the ones that tend to create traffic from nowhere or push people to try silly overtakes.

Soldato
Same. I conversely find the slowest drivers to be the cause of most issues. They're normally the ones in the wrong lane at a roundabout or braking for no clear reason.
They're the ones that tend to create traffic from nowhere or push people to try silly overtakes.
Ah, the whole "you asked for it by dressing in that mini skirt" argument

Soldato
Nope they don't. But human patience isn't limitless and sometimes people need to be somewhere urgently so they take the risk.
All because someone wants to drive at 30 in a 60.
Imo if you can't drive at the limit you should hand your licence in (I'm not talking about people that are within 10mph of the limit). I know it's a view that's going to divide options, but I don't agree with speed kills, its poor driving and thats not always the same thing

Caporegime
Imo if you can't drive at the limit you should hand your licence in (I'm not talking about people that are within 10mph of the limit). I know it's a view that's going to divide options, but I don't agree with speed kills, its poor driving and thats not always the same thing

Speed limit is a limit and not an aspiration..................

If I am somewhere where I haven't been before and perhaps looking for a property or lane to turn off to, I will be driving slowly. According to you I should hand my licence in.

Caporegime

I don't disagree. It's a clear indicator that you're not a competent driver. That goes for other things too of course.
There's a time for slower driving due to weather and lighting conditions, but on a warm dry and overcast day that just isn't it.

Caporegime
Speed limit is a limit and not an aspiration..................

If I am somewhere where I haven't been before and perhaps looking for a property or lane to turn off to, I will be driving slowly. According to you I should hand my licence in.

You should indeed. Use your brain. Plan your route beforehand, use tools such as Google Street View to check the location, use a sat nav.

Caporegime
You should indeed. Use your brain. Plan your route beforehand, use tools such as Google Street View to check the location, use a sat nav.

Satnavs are perfect especially for houses or tracks to peoples property set back from the road.

Same again with street view, it isnt 100% of the UK yet.

Man of Honour
Satnavs are perfect especially for houses or tracks to peoples property set back from the road.

Same again with street view, it isnt 100% of the UK yet.

I wonder what proportion of people doing half the speed limit are as a result of insufficient Google Street view.

Caporegime
I wonder what proportion of people doing half the speed limit are as a result of insufficient Google Street view.

No idea, I was just explaining why I am sometimes are doing 30mph in a 60mph zone................

And it wasnt me that claimed people should check street view before setting off anywhere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No idea, I was just explaining why I am sometimes are doing 30mph in a 60mph zone................

And it wasnt me that claimed people should check street view before setting off anywhere.

And I listed it as one tool amongst many that's suitable. Given all of the options there's no need for someone not to know exactly where they're going.

Soldato

You know as well as I do that the vast majority going at 30 are not looking for a house they are just incompetent, my source is that it's roads that have no turnings for miles:cry:.

Back
Top Bottom