• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

12900k / z690: tech lust!

Associate
Why hold back stock for Black Friday where discounts are expected when they can sell everything they have today at full price ?

Re the ADL release, I can see this all being very expensive at launch and in line with the current price performance of AMD ie, if its faster expect to pay more.

I just bought into AM4 with a 5600x, great little value chip in the current market, as time goes on it also gives me the option to upgrade to either 59xxx etc or the 3d cache CPU's down the line (might be some cheap 2nd hand CPU's if people switch to ADL). I'm watching the ADL release out of interest but have no intention to purchase.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really think Intel are missing a trick by not selling Alderlake as part of a bundle with a motherboard and graphics card at a reduced price. That would put miners off the graphics cards and get ARC GPU’s into the hands of Nvidia users that are simply looking for a platform for Ampere but can’t bring themselves to buy AMD. Triple troll team Nvidia.

Stir in a little Centrino style secret sauce that gives the all Intel system an edge. Intel champions of the world and the saviours of PC gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on a 5950x at the moment so I have no interest in the 12900k as at best it will be a sidegrade for me while costing an absolute fortune to replace my board CPU and 64GB of RAM. Plus I want to see what AMD comes out with first.

Associate
i am not so sure pricing will be high and intel will just deliberately limit supply
We had scalping on higher priced GPUs and if intel limit supply that’s more tempting for scalpers as they can have less competition and can more easily set a higher price. Scalpers are still active and going strong on PS5s and this launch will be something I don’t think they will pass up.

Soldato
We had scalping on higher priced GPUs and if intel limit supply that’s more tempting for scalpers as they can have less competition and can more easily set a higher price. Scalpers are still active and going strong on PS5s and this launch will be something I don’t think they will pass up.

I think Intel strategy will be the typical American business model.

Associate
Hi,

Does anyone know if OCUK will be taking pre-orders for Alder Lake tomorrow (10/27) and if so, what time they start?

Many Thanks!

Man of Honour
I'm personally a little disappointed that the Z490 chipset I bought for future proofing won't work with the 12900k. I only game really, so my 10700k will last for a good while yet.

Associate
I'm personally a little disappointed that the Z490 chipset I bought for future proofing won't work with the 12900k. I only game really, so my 10700k will last for a good while yet.

I'm not trying to be Mr obvious but for years now Intel have only given 2 refreshes on a socket, what on earth made you think it would be different this time ?

Associate
Don’t Intel replace the sockets with incompatible ones for years now? It’s been a while since you upgrade your CPU between generations unless you owned an AMD board..

Back
Top Bottom