*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
Can someone help me out a bit here. Im looking closely at the M1 Pro or M1X possible upgrades for the Mac mini as the laptops are too pricey when pimped out. The bit Im having trouble with is the gfx cores, this would be used purely for photo editing, so Id go for as many as I can.
I can't find any comparisons between Apple vs Win when using a gfx acceleration on a Win box. Im thinking that even Apple with their 36 gfx cores would lose to a standard Nvidia/Amd card which have far more cores? Yes there is the code optimisation that Apple do, but on the widows side you have the brute horsepower with discrete gfx cards? Is this the case?

Soldato
Can someone help me out a bit here. Im looking closely at the M1 Pro or M1X possible upgrades for the Mac mini as the laptops are too pricey when pimped out. The bit Im having trouble with is the gfx cores, this would be used purely for photo editing, so Id go for as many as I can.
I can't find any comparisons between Apple vs Win when using a gfx acceleration on a Win box. Im thinking that even Apple with their 36 gfx cores would lose to a standard Nvidia/Amd card which have far more cores? Yes there is the code optimisation that Apple do, but on the widows side you have the brute horsepower with discrete gfx cards? Is this the case?
What do you use to edit photos? Stuff like Photoshop is more CPU than GPU intensive tbh

Soldato
Lack of bandwidth/connectivity on the SoC? :confused:

Maybe. 2.1 requires 48Gb/s which is more than thunderbolt, so would have needed additional real estate assigned to it on the chip compared to an extra thunderbolt controller.

The core counts don't compare, Apple's GPU cores are much more sophisticated and complex than a CUDA core. As there are no M1 Pro/Max versions of Mac mini I'm not sure what you're looking for?

Associate

Agree with the others, I think you need to explain a bit more about the exact tasks you are looking to do and where your current bottlenecks are.

Back
Top Bottom