End of the world (ish) scenario 99% mortality

Soldato
Initially I think the regional emergency government groups would form in designated bunkers. This is to coordinate the information of who has survived and start reforming / allocating people new jobs. Secure energy infrastructure, shut most down so that engineer and such like resources can be pooled into a couple of power stations. Same goes for hospitals, water treatment etc.

Some people would be allocated to work on a few farms and some to deal with managing mass funeral pyres etc. Something like The Division with the cleansers or whatever they were called.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1% of the military will still be around to stop you... plus very few people on a base will be able to access the armoury, and there's no guarantee any of them will be in that 1%.
So unless you have the keys and door codes yourself, or you're somehow just so charismatic that the military will outright give you their shooty-bangs, I expect you'll be leaving empty handed... or staying right wherever they dropped you!

In a situation like this I doubt there would be much chain of command left - once it became apparent I'd imagine most of the armed forces would take anything useful and try and find their families not stick around guarding a base.

Someone determined enough wouldn't be stopped by the average physical security of most base armouries.

Initially I think the regional emergency government groups would form in designated bunkers.

There is very little of that kind of organisation left in this country :s we are woefully unprepared for a sudden apocalyptic level event - most people are determined in the belief it doesn't really happen outside of science fiction. Aside from the main core of government most of the bunkers have been closed up or sold.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I live in a town that houses weapons and has a massive military/navy armoury. I know the access as I did my work experience there so in the event that all soldiers sodded off to their families and people are left to themselves, I know where I'd stock up from first, or at least try to :p

There is a great couple of documentaries on just this type of situation too. Zombieland I think they are called.

Soldato
In a situation like this I doubt there would be much chain of command left - once it became apparent I'd imagine most of the armed forces would take anything useful and try and find their families not stick around guarding a base.
Even at 1%, there'll almost certainly be some higher-ups left... and knowing our luck, it'll always be that one bell-end from B Company who you hoped would get lost in a minefield one day!!
Conversely, most of the families will be gone too, so those few remaining would likely be brought to the base.

Someone determined enough wouldn't be stopped by the average physical security of most base armouries.
But there will still be people to guard it too...

Soldato
I'm loving all the "I'd fortify a food warehouse" comments. The authorities would secure those immediately and execute any attempted looters.

It would be easier to just hole up in a third floor flat and keep your head down. Packs of wild dogs would be a huge problem at first, so you'd want to have several weeks food and water and minimise any outside time.

A fair chunk of the 1% would not survive the first few months, so you'd just have to get past that.

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll always be the guy with the least operational experience but recites standard procedure in their sleep.
Nah, accidents happen to those guys too easily... It'll be the one you cannot directly just remove from the situation, ie the B Company Bell-end.... and if you're really unlucky, there'll be some ***** from the Redcaps and a few PTIs to boot!!

Man of Honour
I'm loving all the "I'd fortify a food warehouse" comments. The authorities would secure those immediately and execute any attempted looters.

It would be easier to just hole up in a third floor flat and keep your head down. Packs of wild dogs would be a huge problem at first, so you'd want to have several weeks food and water and minimise any outside time.

A fair chunk of the 1% would not survive the first few months, so you'd just have to get past that.

In a situation where like 99% just drop dead I doubt there will be any level of organisation really - the authorities will largely be non-existent in something that apocalyptic.

You are best off just hoarding enough supplies to see you through the initial months and going to ground somewhere you won't easily be discovered.

You only have to go back 500 years or so and the population wasn't much bigger than if 99% disappeared tomorrow so I'd imagine in the longer run those that survive would reform some kind of society.

Soldato
You only have to go back 500 years or so and the population wasn't much bigger than if 99% disappeared tomorrow so I'd imagine in the longer run those that survive would reform some kind of society.

The population of the UK in 1500 was around 3 million. That's about 4%. To get to 1% of today's population, about 700k, you'd have to go back to pre-Roman Britain.

Man of Honour
The population of the UK in 1500 was around 3 million. That's about 4%. To get to 1% of today's population, about 700k, you'd have to go back to pre-Roman Britain.

True it is nearly a quarter of 1500s but I was looking at it more relative to modern populations. It is amazing in some ways how a drop to 1% of the current population would be such a huge thing yet in other ways that is still a fair number of people about.

Caporegime
True it is nearly a quarter of 1500s but I was looking at it more relative to modern populations. It is amazing in some ways how a drop to 1% of the current population would be such a huge thing yet in other ways that is still a fair number of people about.

All you need to do is take that 1% left and ship them all to America.

That way it's like nothing had changed.

As population grows people will eventually move back to other countries again.

Soldato

What "Authorities", they'd have been reduced by 99% just like the rest of the world so, for example, out of 650 MP's there'd be 6 left, out of 160k police there'd be 1600 left (for the entire UK), out of 153k Armed Forces you're down to 1500 etc plus I'd guess nobody, anywhere in the world, would still turn up for work the next day after an apocalypse :D

Yeap, absolutely 100% agree on that! Afterwards it'd be whose able to adapt to living like its pre-industrial revolution again, due to low population, low technology use (it'd all be broken and unfixable within a short time) so back to full manual/animal labour, maybe some water wheels at most.

Man of Honour
I'd guess nobody, anywhere in the world, would still turn up for work the next day after an apocalypse

Dunno some people have an incredibly hard time adapting or can't adapt at all, some people would still turn up for work as if somehow denying the reality wouldn't make it real - not a logic I can understand.

Soldato
so back to full manual/animal labour, maybe some water wheels at most.

Fortunately there are plenty of books around. Building a steam engine will not be too difficult. But the first decade will be very tough.

some people would still turn up for work

Some people might not notice - at least initially. Think of the old farmer going to milk his cows.

Soldato
Fortunately there are plenty of books around. Building a steam engine will not be too difficult. But the first decade will be very tough.

Really??? I mean I know you're not building a locomotive unit but even a basic Watt type "factory" engine would be a stretch considering there'd be just 7 blacksmiths left alive in the entire UK. Then you run into issues such as - would any of those on their own have access to the raw materials needed to build every single part (various metals, rubber, bearings, plastic, nuts/bolts etc), or the technical diagrams or know how to create stampings/castings/parts for a steam engine, or will they be able to transport it after it's built to a place where it'll be used etc?

"Traditional" skills previously handed down generation to generation have virtually died out, so we'd have to re-learn everything from books alone, which never really give a full account of those small indelible things which are often personal knowledge i.e. the hand me down stuff mentioned previously, and are usually the little details of how to get the best out of a machine or process.

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Reality the surviving 1% will inevitably cut themselves at some point. Some will sneeze and sniff. They will all be dead within weeks. Game over.

Now let us watch this fish for some hundred thousand years to see if it crawls up the beach.

Rinse repeat.

Back
Top Bottom