• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Caporegime
Ohh Matt.. really Tara Reid :p https://www.deviantart.com/amdmatt :D It's a USA guy :p so stop sweating there.
This is like "This Is Your Life"!
If those pictures surface, and probably only a few people here know where to find them, I will say that I was young and needed the money.

I should also add that if the few people that probably know which pictures I am referring to (@tommybhoy, @humbug and @varkanoid to name but a few) then the pictures they don't want getting out will be shared.

That said, perhaps only mine and tommys pictures are really of great shame. If anyone remembers that competition... :cry:

Soldato
If those pictures surface, and probably only a few people here know where to find them, I will say that I was young and needed the money.

I should also add that if the few people that probably know which pictures I am referring to (@tommybhoy, @humbug and @varkanoid to name but a few) then the pictures they don't want getting out will be shared.

That said, perhaps only mine and tommys pictures are really of great shame. If anyone remembers that competition... :cry:

Geez this is a weird stroll down memory lane. :cry:

Soldato

Ok back on topic.. 10GB is just planned obsolescence by Nvidia for this card (3080), I think many know if not for AMD this time the 3080 really would have been the 3070 and then the Super 3080 would have been the 3070Ti on GA104, they got forced to move it up to the GA102 chip but had to find a way to get people to upgrade it quicker in the future. I think it would have been also 12GB originally on the GA104 chip. 3080Ti would be the 3080 we have now on GA102, then the 3080ti would be the RTX Titan 30X just with 24GB and the 3090 we have now would have been RTX Titan 30XP..And all full chips would have been A6000 but now we hear a full GA102 is soon to be 3090Ti/Super ..

Caporegime
Ah sod it. I can't always be the nice guy.

As Josep Seed once said, BEGIN THE REAPING!
sBKt6su.jpg

GCN Architecture-Volcanic Islands Eau Naturelle

Primed to enable astonishing performance and breathtaking image quality, making it a top choice for gamers who expect the best.

@varkanoid removed his image at some point the sneaky swine! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato

Ok back on topic.. 10GB is just planned obsolescence by Nvidia for this card (3080), I think many know if not for AMD this time the 3080 really would have been the 3070 and then the Super 3080 would have been the 3070Ti on GA104, they got forced to move it up to the GA102 chip but had to find a way to get people to upgrade it quicker in the future. I think it would have been also 12GB originally on the GA104 chip. 3080Ti would be the 3080 we have now on GA102, then the 3080ti would be the RTX Titan 30X just with 24GB and the 3090 we have now would have been RTX Titan 30XP..And all full chips would have been A6000 but now we hear a full GA102 is soon to be 3090Ti/Super ..
The good news is that Nvidia know AMD isn't messing about anymore so will have to bring decent performance and hopefully more VRAM to the table with Lovelace but the bad news they also know that people are willing to pay a lot more.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The good news is that Nvidia know AMD isn't messing about anymore so will have to bring decent performance and hopefully more VRAM to the table with Lovelace but the bad news they also know that people are willing to pay a lot more.

Yeah so on one hand they have to not do an Intel, on the other hand they probably both in cahoots laughing at rigging the prices to take the pressure of themselves.

Soldato

Couldn't agree more, Nv are the masters at planned obsolescence, what a price the next round is going to be.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Couldn't agree more, Nv are the masters at planned obsolescence, what a price the next round is going to be.
Yep. That Jensen is a very good business man. But I still feel 3080 having 10gb was a good option to provide from both a business and consumer point of view. Think about it, it is enough for 99.9% of games in existence and offers only around 15% less performance than a card cost well over double the price. Had they gone with 20gb VRAM you can be sure it would have cost a lot more than £649. We cannot even compare it with AMD stuff as they do not offer MSRP in the UK, otherwise one could make a case for the 6800 XT.

Soldato
Yep. That Jensen is a very good business man. But I still feel 3080 having 10gb was a good option to provide from both a business and consumer point of view. Think about it, it is enough for 99.9% of games in existence and offers only around 15% less performance than a card cost well over double the price. Had they gone with 20gb VRAM you can be sure it would have cost a lot more than £649. We cannot even compare it with AMD stuff as they do not offer MSRP in the UK, otherwise one could make a case for the 6800 XT.
This too, I'd still be all over an 80 Fe if I could actually get one, first rule of AMD MSRP is:
Don't talk about AMD MSRP!:p

Associate
Really don't see the big deal. The only game that the 3080 struggles with for vram is far cry 6. An AMD sponsored title thats obviously going to limit nvidias performance in whatever way they can. They even have to nerf Ray tracing to make RDNA2 look good . And yes I'm aware nvidia nerf AMD on their games too.

10gb should still be fine for basic 4k, for maxed out 4k possibly not. And maxing out is kinda pointless unless you have something daft like a 3090 or 6900xt.

Associate
0b0

Actual Farcry 6 screenshot from Nvidia 3080...

Back
Top Bottom