Self entitled people

Soldato
Last week, I held a door open for a mum with a pushchair and another child. She told me she could go through the door with no help. If we meet together again involving a door, I will let go of the door…. To see what happens

Or handle it differently and stop worrying about it?

If that were me she said it to, I would have responded along the lines of "I'm sure you can however my mother brought me up with good manners. I can only hope you can do the same with your kids one day" and then walk on and enjoy the rest of my day.

Soldato
Elderly is more 78 onwards imo. You must have seen photos of your grandparents, great aunts etc looking very old. Then you realise that they died aged 61. As they had to dress like they were 20 years older than they are. My dad is 73 and a colleague thought he was 58.

Man of Honour
Elderly is more 78 onwards imo. You must have seen photos of your grandparents, great aunts etc looking very old. Then you realise that they died aged 61. As they had to dress like they were 20 years older than they are. My dad is 73 and a colleague thought he was 58.

I ordered a couple of drinks in a bar in Tampa International Airport when I was late fifties, maybe sixty, and the barmaid asked if I had I.D., my wife said, “You’re kidding surely, he’s X years old!”
Barmaid replied, “He could be a Civil War vet ma’am, it’s company policy to I.D. everyone.”

Caporegime
There is a woman in the local newspaper here that is the Deputy Headmistress of a school, who got so jealous of her boyfriends ex apparently sending lewds to her boyfriend, that she decided to repost them on social media naming her.

She was also at the school gates making the slit throat gesture.

So self absorbed that her natural survival instinct went out the window by her ego.

People like her need to grow up and stop acting like a child. It's scary that shes achieved such a highly trusted position in a school when her judgement is so far off the mark.

Here is a link to the story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/you-dead-you-f-dead-21983769
I love the BS excuses you see in cases like this when mitigating. Painting her as the victim by the looks of it.

Soldato
There is a woman in the local newspaper here that is the Deputy Headmistress of a school, who got so jealous of her boyfriends ex apparently sending lewds to her boyfriend, that she decided to repost them on social media naming her.

She was also at the school gates making the slit throat gesture.

So self absorbed that her natural survival instinct went out the window by her ego.

People like her need to grow up and stop acting like a child. It's scary that shes achieved such a highly trusted position in a school when her judgement is so far off the mark.

Here is a link to the story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/you-dead-you-f-dead-21983769

The world is full of people who stopped maturing at age 15 in positions of power who just learned to put on a good act and say what they're supposed to say.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the not moving out of your way that gets me. Couples, groups, families, self entitled to the entire width of the pavement/shopping aisle/my general direction of travel. So you end up diving out of their way because neither of them have the decency to make space for all of you to continue walking and then you don't even get a "thank you" or "excuse me".

I've tended to play chicken more these days. I bowled one ******** right over in Tk Maxx last week :cry: should have seen the little petals face.

Man of Honour
A lady was on having a moan about having to drive her 89 year old mother 6 miles
What I've come to realise is that some people really do live in a bubble whereby their whole life revolves around their home town and the idea of travelling any sort of distance is a massive hardship. So e.g. if you were to suggest meeting them in a location halfway between your town and theirs this would be a huge ask for them and they would be doing you a massive favour by accepting. Or they tell tales about the NIGHTMARE journey where they had to travel somewhere and took them TWO HOURS to get home (my standard commute used to be longer than that!). My dad isn't too bad but occasionally he flirts with this sort of thing, like if he has to travel to the hospital (about 3 miles) instead of the doctors surgery (about a mile).

It gets really self-entitled when it comes to housing, there is a sizeable chunk of people who feel they have a right to own a family property in 'their' town, regardless of how expensive a location that might be. If they earn an average living but live in an expensive area then I don't think it should be that surprising that they can't afford a family home. If you really want that home then you need to relocate somewhere cheaper, simple as that. We'd all like to live next door to our friends and families a short distance from the workplace in a lovely house but it simply doesn't work like that in many locations.

Associate
While I agree there's many many self entitled people... I'm not sure this is necessarily a good example of that. If the mother is 89 that lady could easily be 70+ herself, I know plenty of people that age that are no longer confident enough to drive further than 2 minutes down the road to the newsagents and would definitely struggle to get a 89 year old up steps.

Didn't hear the call though so the full conversation might have made it more obvious she was just entitled rather than frustrated/struggling herself. :p

Man of Honour
It gets really self-entitled when it comes to housing, there is a sizeable chunk of people who feel they have a right to own a family property in 'their' town, regardless of how expensive a location that might be. If they earn an average living but live in an expensive area then I don't think it should be that surprising that they can't afford a family home. If you really want that home then you need to relocate somewhere cheaper, simple as that. We'd all like to live next door to our friends and families a short distance from the workplace in a lovely house but it simply doesn't work like that in many locations.

Problem is increasingly that isn't just people being picky about the area they live in or might have to relocate a couple of miles or something - you are talking about entire towns where someone on a good salary is struggling to afford a mid-terrace property and having to move a long way from friends and family.

With the problem increasingly creeping outwards.

It is fine if you have a limited friends and family network, good job opportunities and highly mobile but for many people that isn't the kind of life they find themselves in. Not to mention then it just increases pollution and so on from all the extra commuting they have to do.

Man of Honour
That's kind of my point though, you have to compromise somewhere unless you are a genuine top earner. These people don't want to compromise, they want at least a 3 bed semi with a drive/garage and garden but they aren't prepared to commute far or live a long way from family and friends. They also need all basic life essentials like latest smartphones, streaming subscriptions, 4k TV, flashy game consoles, nice cars etc etc.

Even the mid-terraced option could be overly ambitious (at a young age) if they don't live in a cheap town. I guess I find it hard to fathom as someone who accepts I need to compromise that others on much lower incomes would be so entitled.

I'd potentially like to move back to our home town but I consider it overpriced so I accept that I should compromise and live away. Similarly with work, nobody wants a long commute but London housing is very expensive if you want a family home in a not-terrible area. Extra pollution is just a byp-roduct that's not a reason that can override other factors "oh if I commute too far that creates too much pollution, so someone should pay me loads of money to work round the corner".

Soldato
That's kind of my point though, you have to compromise somewhere unless you are a genuine top earner. These people don't want to compromise, they want at least a 3 bed semi with a drive/garage and garden but they aren't prepared to commute far or live a long way from family and friends. They also need all basic life essentials like latest smartphones, streaming subscriptions, 4k TV, flashy game consoles, nice cars etc etc.

Even the mid-terraced option could be overly ambitious (at a young age) if they don't live in a cheap town. I guess I find it hard to fathom as someone who accepts I need to compromise that others on much lower incomes would be so entitled.

I'd potentially like to move back to our home town but I consider it overpriced so I accept that I should compromise and live away. Similarly with work, nobody wants a long commute but London housing is very expensive if you want a family home in a not-terrible area. Extra pollution is just a byp-roduct that's not a reason that can override other factors "oh if I commute too far that creates too much pollution, so someone should pay me loads of money to work round the corner".

There is a fine line between expecting too much and expecting something reasonable when it comes to housing and other essential things.

I think it's a reasonable expectation that people with employment should be able to buy their own house or have security of tenancy as an alternative. We don't have secure tenancies here in the UK.

And its also reasonable not to have to move to the other side of the country to get this.

The mobile phone, broadband, TV packages etc don't really make a dent in having to save five digit deposits against house prices rising faster than you can save.

Soldato
Gets on everyone’s wick when the group of chavs come in all with a pushchair and/or bump go into my store as only one wants some nappies and another a can of Chav (Red) Bull. Then blocking self scan with the 6-7 pushchairs in the area.

During the restricted numbers - they still did this. The security only asked those who are actually needing something to go in. Mouthful of abuse. One group of chavs mums have been banned due to their abuse because they felt entitled to go around with their mates.

Soldato
"Go on then" said in an informal setting amongst friends/family is a perfectly acceptable response and equivalent to "yes please" in that context.

Seems you were being a bit picky here I think.

I did wonder that. I might respond in that way and when they said 'righto' I would then say 'Thank you'... No, it's not the most polite way, but I wouldn't put it down as rude.

Soldato
I've got some good ones.
People in A&E departments at hospitals.
As a bit of background I've just had my appendix removed and part of that journey was attending A&E in crippling agony.

I was waiting 4 hours ish with only 1 codeine to prevent me passing out from the pain. Evidently a lot of others in the waiting room were too.

One chap was going outside frequently for presumably long cigarette breaks. After some time he approaches the desk and enquired why so many people were seen before him (this is post triage).
Desk staff asks his name and say ohhh.. We've discharged you as the doctor came out twice shouting your name and you weren't there.
I felt a bit of sympathy for him at that point as they offered to 'book him back in' but said effectively he'd be in for a long wait.
Bloke losses his rag "I'm never coming here again you're useless! " he rages.. And storms off never to be seen again. Some medical emergency he must have had :D

Now I was diagnosed and transfered to a different hospital for surgery.. It's later at night now and all the entries are closed bar the A&E.
So I go out for a smoke via the A&E department.
Shortly after some woman comes out, bit of a chav, ****** and jeffing about some other woman in the waiting room who was sat there drinking a can of gin and tonic.
Fair enough I thought... Very poor taste and inappropriate.. Anyway I try to distance myself from her and G&T woman comes out! Who is also a chav.
Full on stand up screaming match ensues between these two. One gets hauled off by a security guard while 3 Nurses/medical assistants are trying to talk the other woman down, as she's still quite animated.
Again.. Some medical emergency those two must have had. And wasted the staffs time who could have been looking after real patients.

I go back to my ward wondering wtf.

To observe this twice at two hospitals within 24 hrs suggests to me this must be a daily occurrence for A&E...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom