Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I always thought it was better to have a days rest in between so even more important for yourself? I've been having 1 days rest but did wonder whether consecutive running days would be ok once fitter and stronger, I don't know.

Soldato
I always thought it was better to have a days rest in between so even more important for yourself? I've been having 1 days rest but did wonder whether consecutive running days would be ok once fitter and stronger, I don't know.

Certainly when you're used to it and assuming you're only talking easy sessions, then it's not uncommon for people to run every day. I heard on a podcast of a guy who was on something like a 15 year streak of running every day. That's quite incredible when you consider there will be days where he'll do 100 mile races and yet to get up and do an easy recovery run the next day is very impressive!

There are also times where it may be beneficial to run twice a day. Sometimes being out for 2 hours isn't an option, so you can squeeze in an hour before work in the morning and then an hour later in the day too. I've done this a few times and a few on here have commuted to work ~8 miles each way with no issues.

Soldato
Just did first 10km run in 55mins. 250m of elevation gain in total, huge 1km hill to start. Trail run. What a mental battle but glad I finished it, recovered quick. Loads of mental negativity to stop but battled through it.

Last couple of runs I've eaten a banana about 30mins before the run, could it be as simple as that, I've had way more energy?

Associate
Just did first 10km run in 55mins. 250m of elevation gain in total, huge 1km hill to start. Trail run. What a mental battle but glad I finished it, recovered quick. Loads of mental negativity to stop but battled through it.

Last couple of runs I've eaten a banana about 30mins before the run, could it be as simple as that, I've had way more energy?

Great job, can't wait to start tackling 10km runs myself. The thought of completing a half marathon in the future let alone trying a full marathon still seem like a pipe dream to me so we shall see :)

Funnily enough, I ate half a banana before a run once as I was a bit hungry (ate the other half after) & I felt like I had more energy than usual throughout the run. I wasn't sure if it was just in my head though be interested to hear others thoughts.

Soldato

This guy explains a few things.

Soldato
First event booked in. Fittingly on the final day of the year!

Comes with a pie and pint and is sponsored by a local brewery.

https://www.madbullevents.com/events-1/trails-and-ales-new-years-eve-fell-race-2

I think it attracts some proper quick fell runners, so i'd say it'd be great seeing them in action but i imagine they'll be gone before i've even started!

EDIT - Looking back, it suggests the winner of the last event took 48 minutes. That's quite a long time for a 7 mile course. I can only imagine it's an absolutely brutal route!

Soldato
Crashed and burned the other day on the concrete my second fall in a year never in 6 years of running have I damaged myself this much, as previously mentioned here I got diagnosed with early signs of MS so not sure if it down to that or just unlucky.

But will be feeling rather hesitant at getting back out after this, as I went down hard on concrete done some damage to my arm hurt like hell after. I have been icing it etc still hurts when at certain angles but it feels like getting better day by day better movement.

I have always been able to deal with a trip and save myself on many occassion, this one I was down before I knew it and lucky didnt do to much damage to my face dont know how as it partly hit ground only a little fat lip. I have been battling drop foot for a while a sign of MS where your foot skims the floor as you dont lift your leg up high enough due to signals from the brain caused by MS not right.

Ive always said I will fight to the bitter end through this as I love running but I think Im going to have to hang them trainers up before long :(

Soldato
Crashed and burned the other day on the concrete my second fall in a year never in 6 years of running have I damaged myself this much, as previously mentioned here I got diagnosed with early signs of MS so not sure if it down to that or just unlucky.

But will be feeling rather hesitant at getting back out after this, as I went down hard on concrete done some damage to my arm hurt like hell after. I have been icing it etc still hurts when at certain angles but it feels like getting better day by day better movement.

I have always been able to deal with a trip and save myself on many occassion, this one I was down before I knew it and lucky didnt do to much damage to my face dont know how as it partly hit ground only a little fat lip. I have been battling drop foot for a while a sign of MS where your foot skims the floor as you dont lift your leg up high enough due to signals from the brain caused by MS not right.

Ive always said I will fight to the bitter end through this as I love running but I think Im going to have to hang them trainers up before long :(

Really sorry to here this.

I know routes wouldn’t be as enjoyable but any chance of just running around a football pitch or something so you’re only falling on grass if it happens again?

Alternatively again it’s not pleasant or outdoors but something like a free stride cross trainer where you can move in a more running gait. Although I think I’d rather not run than always run indoors!

Associate

Sorry to hear this, hopefully you will be able to continue running, some good suggestions from Martyn you could maybe try?

On a similar note I had my first fall on my last run, fell head over heels after tripping on a fallen roadworks sign as it was pitch black when I was running. No real issues besides grazed hands and left side shoulder/forearm (and ego). Got quite lucky I guess, managed to get up and run the rest of the way home at least.

Also, is it normal to feel better as the run progresses? I'm noticing at first it's a bit of a struggle then 10-15 minutes in I'm in a great stride and don't want the run to end. Run number 20 under my belt, at least it was a memorable one!

Soldato

Sorry to read this :(

Not in the same category as the above, but went for a run this weekend and my 'good knee' is now in a bad way :rolleyes: Not sure what I did. Didn't notice anything during the run, but the day after it felt like I had a load of fluid in there. You know the feeling then you bend your knee and everything feels tight? Two days on and it's still not feeling great, but of a click as I walked just now. About to head out for a cycle, will see if the low impact movement loosens things up.

Soldato
Also, is it normal to feel better as the run progresses? I'm noticing at first it's a bit of a struggle then 10-15 minutes in I'm in a great stride and don't want the run to end. Run number 20 under my belt, at least it was a memorable one!

I find this, it seems to depend whether i do a warm up or not. If i do something like a parkrun or go to an actual event i'll spend around 10 minutes warming up, stretching etc. However if i just run from home then i just set off at an easy pace and use find that the first mile or so feels a bit of a struggle and then everything is good.
There's even been a few times where i've been out for long >20 mile runs and feel like crap for the first 6, to the point where i feel i need to stop and walk and question whether it's just a bad day and i should turn around, then something clicks and i'm absolutely fine. The body is a weird thing!

Sorry to hear that about your knee too @AndyCr15 hope it's ok on the bike. Seems we're all turning into crocks! Good job there's some new blood in here! (Speaking of crocks @Ian_Eb how're you getting on these days?)

Registration has finally opened for my 73km run in Spain, it seems fairly brutal and the tagline is one of the hardest runs in the region so i'm hoping this really gets me focused into training and doing more mobility/strength work whilst i can't run too much.
Annoyingly though even though i have "English" selected it's still all in Spanish so lots of google translate being used!

EDIT - Run booked. Took a lot of effort as it seemed to keep failing at the payment stage. Didn't know why until i checked Curve and realised it was set to one of my accounts which had no money in it. I've spent around £300 over the weekend so it'd gone well overdrawn!)

Now to start training. It's around 45 miles but with 13000ft of climbing which is going to be tough. I'm going to have to put some real effort into this!

Last edited:
Associate
I have basically been a lazy bugger for a few weeks/months. Decided whilst on holiday last week that it has to stop though. We cleared the room with the treadmill out the other day and I am planning to get on there initially this week. Want to book a half or full marathon for next year (possibly late sept/oct) to give me a target. Hitting 52 years tomorrow, so need to take it slowly i suspect.

Soldato
:D well done for completely ignore me calling you a crock.

I think i might have underestimated this run. Perhaps i should've paid more attention, but i found a video on Youtube from a previous year. This is a screen grab....

Holy ****! I've never really done anything on mountains!

tC4d8Y4.png

Soldato
@D.P. As someone who's ran a lot of these kind of races. Have you ever had anything which needs a decent element of mountain experience?

The course notes mentioned "Technical terrain", but in the UK this generally just means that it's rocky/uneven rather than anything more extreme.

Associate
I find this, it seems to depend whether i do a warm up or not. If i do something like a parkrun or go to an actual event i'll spend around 10 minutes warming up, stretching etc. However if i just run from home then i just set off at an easy pace and use find that the first mile or so feels a bit of a struggle and then everything is good.
There's even been a few times where i've been out for long >20 mile runs and feel like crap for the first 6, to the point where i feel i need to stop and walk and question whether it's just a bad day and i should turn around, then something clicks and i'm absolutely fine. The body is a weird thing!

I have stopped my 5 minute warm up walk so that could be why as I am taking it steadier at the beginning of the run too. Glad it's not just me though thinking the body is a weird thing :D I need to curb the hunger though, since running I am just constantly hungry!

:D well done for completely ignore me calling you a crock.

I think i might have underestimated this run. Perhaps i should've paid more attention, but i found a video on Youtube from a previous year. This is a screen grab....

Holy ****! I've never really done anything on mountains!

tC4d8Y4.png

:eek::eek:

Soldato
You'll find a lot of runners who'll often say that some of their best runs are when they can't be bothered and force themselves to go out, and feel they're running really slow and then look at their watch and realise they're hitting personal records, then other times they can be feeling great, running at what feels like a fast tempo pace, then look and realise it's slower than their easy slow pace.

I think that for those of us that don't live and breathe running it can be hard to get a real feel for these things. Obviously if it's your life and you have your diet/training absolutely nailed on it's probably a bit more consistant.

With the hunger thing it's a tricky one to advise, i'm not sure whether it's best to give in to that and eat, or whether if you force yourself to ignore it then your body will just get used to it. I'm gonna tab @Somnambulist in here, i know he doesn't usually appear but he always seems very knowledgable on nutrition so might have some good insight.

Soldato
You'll find a lot of runners who'll often say that some of their best runs are when they can't be bothered and force themselves to go out, and feel they're running really slow and then look at their watch and realise they're hitting personal records, then other times they can be feeling great, running at what feels like a fast tempo pace, then look and realise it's slower than their easy slow pace.

I think that for those of us that don't live and breathe running it can be hard to get a real feel for these things. Obviously if it's your life and you have your diet/training absolutely nailed on it's probably a bit more consistant.

With the hunger thing it's a tricky one to advise, i'm not sure whether it's best to give in to that and eat, or whether if you force yourself to ignore it then your body will just get used to it. I'm gonna tab @Somnambulist in here, i know he doesn't usually appear but he always seems very knowledgable on nutrition so might have some good insight.

I agree with that, my first 10k a few days ago I hadn't planned and wasn't particularly up for it about 30mins before I set out but when I got going I seemed to have a lot of energy. So much is mental.

Back
Top Bottom