Lost my love of gaming :(

kdd

kdd

Soldato
I have gone back exclusively to the games that grabbed me in the first place - flight sims, everything else just seems like a shallow waste of time.

Soldato
I find my interest in gaming ebbs and flows.
VR helped a lot, just finished Lone Echo 2 which was straight up fantastic, sadly VR games of this caliber are rare.

Otherwise my PC is a very expensive youtube machine mostly haha.
I have been tempted to grab a Series X or PS5 whenever stock comes next to see if I enjoy gaming on console more nowadays.
Not owned a console since the N64 so could be a laugh at least.

Associate
I find my interest in gaming ebbs and flows.
VR helped a lot, just finished Lone Echo 2 which was straight up fantastic, sadly VR games of this caliber are rare.

Otherwise my PC is a very expensive youtube machine mostly haha.
I have been tempted to grab a Series X or PS5 whenever stock comes next to see if I enjoy gaming on console more nowadays.
Not owned a console since the N64 so could be a laugh at least.

I really should give VR a go - just haven't been impressed by the hardware thus far. So near, yet so far in terms of performance ( for my tastes ), plus I can't bring myself to buy an Oculus and give Facebook, or should I say Meta, access to my personal data for it to be sold to all and sundry.

You should give one of the consoles a try - I've found it more accessible and comfortable for playing games. Much prefer sitting on the sofa these days than sitting at my desk staring at a monitor. In my case I went with the PS5, having previously owned a PS4Pro, and ages ago a PS1. The period in between those generations was entirely PC based, until the Nintendo Switch arrived.

Associate
I found myself hooked again for a while after a long break in gaming when Tony Hawks game was remastered for the PS4- can’t beat reliving your youth!

Associate
This happened to me recently, I normally play the big AAA titles but am finding them really boring atm. Then I started looking at 2d side scrolling games like back in the 80s whilst I was growing up.

Try Deaths Door, Blasphemous, Salt and Sanctuary, Slain from Hell, Ori. Had so much gaming fun this month.

Associate
Similar situation here, 49 and not being blown away by the current AAA games, having a run through some old franchises to try and keep myself interested. Tombraiders, Bioshocks, Halflife etc

Associate
Maybe it's a bit like film. The big AAA stuff is really aimed at kids. There are enough jokes etc in marvel to keep the parents happy, but really these films are never going to satisfy in the same way.

Nostalgia is a real thing. But there are other kinds of games

Permabanned
Yeah, doesn't help that most new triple AAA games are overhyped or dumbed down dog****.

INB4, just play indie titles, bro. Been there, tried that and spent a silly amount on games that still don't grab me.

That's correct.

But there are some good games out there, like rdr2..

I found AC Valhalla a terrible boring game, all thought be it all the hype.

Last edited:
Associate
Sim-racing has always been my constant. I've also consistently played most iterations of Pro Evo Soccer - Master League.

However, my motivation to game goes up and down - particularly being in my mid 40s, 4 kids, etc. I don't always have the energy.

I haven't sunken serious time into other games in a long time until Circuit Superstars came along and rekindled my love of old top down racing games. Think I'm nearly up to 700hrs in about 9 months!

Permabanned
I've been a keen gamer ever since I got my NES, sunk soooo many hours/days/months of my life into gaming. Now, I just can't be bothered.

It annoys me that I've lost my interest, I've got a great catalogue of games available to play across many formats, I just don't have the desire to actually play any of them. I know it sounds stupid, but gaming has always been my release, my escape.

Anyone else in the same boat? Hopefully with a bit of time, I'll get back into it.

I still enjoy gaming thoroughly, although what you describe happened to me in VR ( lack of good AAA content ).

Find some good games and play them. Play some old games as well.

Associate
I find the old repetitive games the best. Think Tetris and Space Invaders, or even god damn Snake on an old Nokia.

I've got a couple of Cybiko handhelds. The original and the Xtreme. Might have a look at what's available for them, just for a laugh.

I just can't get into modern games. It just seems like too much effort. Can't remember what the last game was I tried to play, but do remember thinking after a few minutes of the opening cut scene was "god this is boring", before calmly closing then proceeding to watch videos on YouTube on my £2500 PC

Associate
I find the old repetitive games the best. Think Tetris and Space Invaders, or even god damn Snake on an old Nokia.

I've got a couple of Cybiko handhelds. The original and the Xtreme. Might have a look at what's available for them, just for a laugh.

I just can't get into modern games. It just seems like too much effort. Can't remember what the last game was I tried to play, but do remember thinking after a few minutes of the opening cut scene was "god this is boring", before calmly closing then proceeding to watch videos on YouTube on my £2500 PC

I know what you mean about the effort required for modern games. Sometimes, I'll go a few nights without playing - by which time I've forgotten the myriad of controls/combinations and just lose the will!

I've been looking around and keeping my eye out for a modern looking side scrolling shoot 'em up. Up/down/left/right and fire does me just fine!

Associate
The daft thing is if you look at half the games kids are playing nowadays they're actually more like those 2D 80's games than anything else. Lot's of people just want quick pick up and play stuff.

As soon as it’s going to take time and effort to get into a game I either haven’t got the time or haven’t got the effort!

Permabanned
The daft thing is if you look at half the games kids are playing nowadays they're actually more like those 2D 80's games than anything else. Lot's of people just want quick pick up and play stuff.

As soon as it’s going to take time and effort to get into a game I either haven’t got the time or haven’t got the effort!

Ok , I tend to think kids like violent games like GTA V and COD. Not really like Donkey Kong and Mario.

Associate
Ok , I tend to think kids like violent games like GTA V and COD. Not really like Donkey Kong and Mario.

Maybe, but if you consider all the mobile games available and things like Minecraft or Roblox it’s amazing how big some of these games are despite the graphics being so basic. If you’d asked me when I was young what I expected games to be like in 20 years I’d have guessed everything would be so graphically amazing and it just hasn’t happened there’s a good mix of both.

Back
Top Bottom