Christmas Decorations!!

Associate
We're coming to that time of the year again and I've got my first house. So for once instead of dragging out the same Christmas decorations that we have used for the past 30 years from my parent's attic, I will need to get my own..!

Any recommendations for where to get Christmas decorations? and in turn things to avoid? Don't mind spending a bit extra if it will last me 30 years :p Picked up a few red and gold baubles from Ikea 2 weeks back when I was getting some shelves but I imagine they have a lot more stuff now.

Soldato
We invested in a tree and some decorations from 'the white company' last year. Similar to you was using a naff hand me down prior to that. Got to say it made a huge difference

In terms of decorations less is more for me...

Soldato
Villeroy and Boch usually have a great selection of Christmas decorations and crockery. Really nice stuff available as seconds if you have an outlet nearby.

Associate
Unless you’re desperate to go big, my advice would be keep it basic this Christmas and pick up and load of bargains immediately after Christmas in sales!

(Disclaimer: I’m not the one in our household who loves Christmas )

Soldato
Get yourself an artificial tree. Then sprinkle strands of tinel around - drape them over paintings etc. Then stock up on other decorations after Christmas as @Min15 suggests.

Soldato
Christmas bubble lights.
50742439333_1cc9762364_o_d.gif

Associate
werchristmas are quite reasonable for Artificial trees, avoid garden centres they’re extortionate (for what you get). Pick your space for a tree and stick to a size that suits the space, a 5” tree in a small room looks better than a 7” taking up all the space. If money is no object the best artificial trees are probably the ones on balsamhill but you might need a bank loan for some

Soldato
Not really much advice to give about Christmas decorations. Pick a colour theme and get yourself a collection of decorations.

I'd echo the above about non-glass baubles though.

We get a real tree each year, and if you intend to do that I'd recommend a good base - the ones that have an adjustable clamp. It makes it a lot easier to stand the tree up.

Associate
And then pop to Canada on the way home to pick up your freshly cut tree...

Do you have kids or pets? If so, then probably best to avoid glass decorations to be honest!

Lol you're right on the kids and pets I guess, we've got kids and we don't use as many of the glass ones now...kids ruining Christmas lol

Caporegime
Only really do one room as usually (apart from last year) away for Christmas.

Being the living tree in as do each year

Decorate it. Put few other bits up. Nothing OTT

I'm not a big fan of Christmas

Soldato
Buy a some cheap stuff to fill the tree then each year buy 1 or 2 nice ornaments and build up over the years. I often go to a few Christmas markets each year and each year pick up a nice bauble or decoration. There is then a little story behind the key decorations with less meaningful items filling out the space. For instance 3 years ago we found somewhere hand making felt animals so we go one for each of the family. They now take pride of place and we each hang our own where we want them. I remember watching the glass bauble being blown that we got when my wife was pregnant with our first child and we each blew into it as they were making it. I remember the few that I've kept from my childhood home that may look a little worn but are a link. What is Christmas for if not a little sentimentalism.

I like Christmas, just not the one that seems to exist widely. For me no decorations before kids School ends FULL STOP. Main Christmas tree goes up Christmas Eve and is a family activity that starts Christmas proper. Then becomes family film, wine, cheese and merriment. It seems that Christmas is all foreplay and no event these days. Shopping is the Christmas cuckoo. I like the time between Christmas Eve and New Year to be Christmas not the 2 months of shopping beforehand.

Soldato
Unsure if these trees are still available, don’t get trees with light bulb lightings as the bulbs are difficult to buy! I was planning to buy a new tree but due to global shipping issues, I will leave it til next year.

My work didn’t get as much Halloween stuff than planned as some is stuck in shipping containers…

Back
Top Bottom