What watch do you wear?

Associate
... CW ... They don't even produce their own watches, they just design and then outsource them.

Like Tudor and TAG etc? Most Swiss companies below the £10k mark get their dials from Taiwan, cases from China and other parts from wherever is cheapest then fudge the figures to get 60% of the "value" of the watch to originate in Switzerland by overpaying the assembler and boom ... Swiss made on the dial.

Soldato
Like Tudor and TAG etc? Most Swiss companies below the £10k mark get their dials from Taiwan, cases from China and other parts from wherever is cheapest then fudge the figures to get 60% of the "value" of the watch to originate in Switzerland by overpaying the assembler and boom ... Swiss made on the dial.
Eh? Tudor watches and their parts are sourced and made in Switzerland?

Caporegime
I'm sorry but you clearly a little confused if you are using a value as high as £10k as a benchmark of being made in China. To name a few; Oris, Zenith, Tudor, IWC and even Rolex are luxury watch brands with a range of models below 10k MSRP that are for all intents and purposes fully manufactured and assembled in the French part of Switzerland; I have driven past all of the factories when on my travels hiking and skiing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sorry but you clearly a little confused if you are using a value as high as £10k as a benchmark of being made in China. To name a few; Oris, Zenith, Tudor, IWC and even Rolex are luxury watch brands with a range of models below 10k MSRP that are for all intents and purposes fully manufactured and assembled in the French part of Switzerland; I have driven past all of the factories when on my travels hiking and skiing.
A quick google confirms this too. :) With regards to Tudor anyway. Didn’t search the others :p

Soldato
Sorry, but just because you live there and drive past the buildings doesn't make you some kind of expert. I work in the watch industry with several brands and all those brands you have named above aside from Rolex will source a varying degree of parts in Asia. What Rikki said is correct.

Caporegime
Sorry, but just because you live there and drive past the buildings doesn't make you some kind of expert. I work in the watch industry with several brands and all those brands you have named above aside from Rolex will source a varying degree of parts in Asia. What Rikki said is correct.

Come on panthro, instead of vague and general statements, please explain to me exactly which parts are sourced from chinese components in their £5-10k watches from those brands I listed. I am happy to defer to your knowledge on this topic when you provide evidence that they all do besides Rolex.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hand bags down ladies. He said up to £10k, I imagine it becomes fewer and fewer the closer you get to £10k. It is interesting to hear the point Rikki made though -> 60% of value makes it Swiss and you can pump that with labour cost in Switzerland to make it work.

Caporegime
Hand bags down ladies. He said up to £10k, I imagine it becomes fewer and fewer the closer you get to £10k. It is interesting to hear the point Rikki made though -> 60% of value makes it Swiss and you can pump that with labour cost in Switzerland to make it work.
There are no handbags and we are presumably all grown adults here, I am just very reasonably asking someone to provide evidence for their claims rubbishing that luxury watches from the brands I listed are for all intents and purposes manufactured (not just assembled) in Switzerland.

Soldato
There are no handbags and we are presumably all grown adults here, I am just very reasonably asking someone to provide evidence for their claims rubbishing that luxury watches from the brands I listed are for all intents and purposes manufactured (not just assembled) in Switzerland.
I have no need or desire to provide evidence of anything. Mainly because it wouldn't benefit me or do me any favours. What sort of evidence do you expect me to produce? Delivery notes and invoices? I could happily provide a list of components and names of some companies but you will find little evidence of who they supply.
Edit - I didn't say Chinese I said Asia.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have no need or desire to provide evidence of anything. Mainly because it wouldn't benefit me or do me any favours

Right.

Here is a fairly non-descript supplier of case assemblies. As per the website, these companies are discrete and are generally operated by Swiss nationals who are seasoned watch industry experts.

https://www.prgthailand.com/
I have no doubt that this company supplies many watch brands, but does it provide any of the luxury watch brands at the pricepoints I listed?

Soldato
As I said, I have no need to provide you with evidence. Swiss brands work hard to protect their supply chains and seemingly do a good job as most consumers are none the wiser.

Soldato
That's fine, I'm not sure what providing you with the precious evidence you seek will gain, but as Rikki said already from his dealings with the industry, the majority of brands will source many components (excluding the movement) from outside Switzerland and mostly within Asia and in some cases have dedicated supply operations in low cost countries. Manufacturing a circa £3k watch i.e an Oris Aquis at current Swiss labour rates and overheads would leave you with little to no margin, and the optimal margin on a watch is 80-85%.
Playing spot the logo on buildings whilst driving through the Swiss countryside doesn't make you an expert or any further informed.

Last edited:

VBN

VBN

Associate
Omega Seasmaster 300m NTTD. Bought a couple of weeks ago. Mixed reviews but I love it. Really light, strap is good. Not as nicely presented as the Spectre ltd edition. Just waiting for the NATO strap to arrive.

PXL-20211105-131421459-PORTRAIT.jpg

Soldato
Omega Seasmaster 300m NTTD. Bought a couple of weeks ago. Mixed reviews but I love it. Really light, strap is good. Not as nicely presented as the Spectre ltd edition. Just waiting for the NATO strap to arrive.

PXL-20211105-131421459-PORTRAIT.jpg
Super jealous. Really love this piece but I can't justify it.

Edit: how much did you pay? Are they going lower than retail?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom