Most pointless domestic appliance phone apps?

Caporegime
For me pointless falls under
Fridge/freezer
Washing machine
Dishwasher
Kettle

Useful
Heating
Lights
Door lock (if I trusted it not to fail)
Tv

Basically anything you need to physically perform an action on to use.
All of these things you need to be there immediately before turning on.

Associate
We have wifi washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge freezer and Oven - all Bosch.

Generally I agree that it's pretty gimmicky (camera in fridge we never use) but there are a few small features that work for us:

1. Our washing machine and tumble dryer are in the garage. It notifies our phones when the loads are finished which is great as we know when to go and empty them.
2. Our fridge freezer notifies our phones if the fridge or freezer door has been left open. On a few occasions it's let us know that our young son has left it slightly ajar.
3. The oven has a countdown timer which we use pretty much every single time we cook something. It stops the oven once it's done and notifies our phones. We can ask Alexa how long until tea is ready without having to get off our lazy behinds.

Caporegime
Fridge/freezer
Washing machine
Dishwasher
Kettle

Useful
Heating
Lights
Tv

Pretty much, although less on the TV these days as I never touch it, i control my AV instead to change channels and then everything now is on the Fire Stick.

Caporegime
Pretty much, although less on the TV these days as I never touch it, i control my AV instead to change channels and then everything now is on the Fire Stick.

My TV (plasma) is super old and amp too way before smart. . So it doesn't play nice with smart.
I use chromecast (hdmi one) and Google.
It's pretty good "OK Google, resume arcane on living room TV" it knows to go to netflix and start playing where it left off.

I tried using an IR blaster to turn it on and off but it was clunky. So basically use the remote to turn it on /off and voice for the rest.
I will use the remote for volume.

It's definitely quicker to use voice to play the program vs picking up phone, going to app, scrolling to program, resume.

Damn I'm lazy.

Soldato
Soldato
Na you see I buy this too. 3 mins to wait whilst the kettle boils - allow that. "Alexa, boil the kettle".

Obviously you keep it filled whilst the teabag is doing its merry diffusion dance with the water.
Na you see 3 minutes to wait whilst the kettle boils
Just get an instant hot water tap

Caporegime
My TV (plasma) is super old and amp too way before smart. . So it doesn't play nice with smart.
I use chromecast (hdmi one) and Google.
It's pretty good "OK Google, resume arcane on living room TV" it knows to go to netflix and start playing where it left off.

I tried using an IR blaster to turn it on and off but it was clunky. So basically use the remote to turn it on /off and voice for the rest.
I will use the remote for volume.

I don’t use any of the smart features on the TV either, I had the whole thing hooked up to Alexa before to change volume but I found it tedious so I am now back to using the remote.

Actually with ARC I can control almost everything with the Amazon remote except changing the input on the amp, but that is automatic too as when you turn on the PS5, it detects a new signal and it will switch to it. I don’t need to tell the amp to change via a command, it just does it.

With ARC when i turn off on the Amazon remote it also turns everythign off as well.

Caporegime
I don’t use any of the smart features on the TV either, I had the whole thing hooked up to Alexa before to change volume but I found it tedious so I am now back to using the remote.

Actually with ARC I can control almost everything with the Amazon remote except changing the input on the amp, but that is automatic too as when you turn on the PS5, it detects a new signal and it will switch to it. I don’t need to tell the amp to change via a command, it just does it.

With ARC when i turn off on the Amazon remote it also turns everythign off as well.

So I'm not sure whats going on with my TV. Or if TV is so old arc doesn't work properly. But I couldn't get it to work. Amp turned on TV. But TV always takes control of the sound.

TV has an arc hdmi out but the settings are some old system called "vierra link" that I just can't make work.

Either TV doesn't talk to the amp or it does. But always takes the sound. Drove me crazy and went back to independent control with a universal remote.

Associate
I have a Bosch cordless drill that has a Bluetooth module & associated app that allow setting advanced configuration settings - I think the only option was how long the illumination light should remain on after releasing the trigger!

Soldato
Not related to appliances but I have an ongoing argument with Virgin Money who about a year ago removed access to your account on the "web" (ie. desktop) and you must use their app to view your statement. So, I'm sitting there, with my other online banking open onscreen (computer), and have to login to the VM credit card app on my phone, to read my statement on a tiny 6" screen, and go back to my computer to pay it. It's so unfriendly as a user it's ridiculous. I'm sat at a computer 8hrs/day, why do I need to look at my phone to read a PDF statement which doesn't fit properly on the little screen anyway? :confused: :mad:

Same with my Lifetime ISA. That moved to Beehive or some nonsense and they only provide an app. It's like seriously I only look at this like 4-5 times a year, why do I need it on my phone? :confused:

Soldato
Not related to appliances but I have an ongoing argument with Virgin Money who about a year ago removed access to your account on the "web" (ie. desktop) and you must use their app to view your statement. So, I'm sitting there, with my other online banking open onscreen (computer), and have to login to the VM credit card app on my phone, to read my statement on a tiny 6" screen, and go back to my computer to pay it. It's so unfriendly as a user it's ridiculous. I'm sat at a computer 8hrs/day, why do I need to look at my phone to read a PDF statement which doesn't fit properly on the little screen anyway? :confused: :mad:

Same with my Lifetime ISA. That moved to Beehive or some nonsense and they only provide an app. It's like seriously I only look at this like 4-5 times a year, why do I need it on my phone? :confused:
Virgin and CDB are both garbage IMO. You can't even pay your CDB Credit Card with a debit card.

Soldato
Drove me crazy and went back to independent control with a universal remote.
@Raymond Lin too, just get a Universal/Harmony remote. When I first bought my amp I looked into ARC but by all accounts it's ropey, not reliable and just causes headaches. Just Google it and you'll see loads of problems.

I have my Harmony Ultimate w/ hub set up. One touch for TV (Sky), one touch for Apple TV (Netflix/Prime/ATV+/etc.), one touch for music, one touch for BluRay. Easy. And integrates with my Google Home so I can be walking downstairs and ask Google to turn on any of those things so it's ready for me by the time I get there to collapse on the sofa. Right amp input, right volume etc. All set. Also quite satisfying asking Google to turn everything off when going to bed :)

Soldato
What annoys me is there is no standard API or application framework, etc. lots of stuff uses some random badly written app which wasn't done in-house, sometimes requiring a backend connection to some informally hosted server to function, often with dubious roots in China, etc. with a good chance the whole appliance becomes useless if the app no longer functions.

Even for some of the more official stuff the way it is implemented a good chance that if the company should go under you lose functionality or the whole thing becomes useless, etc.

I can make do without a standard API, it's more when these companies don't make the API public, which means you're relying on them staying in business for your appliance to work. The big push in smart homes is to be able to use/control all of the devices if you were disconnected from the internet for example.

I’m a big tech fanatic, but I’ve not yet come across a single smart function I’ve personally had any use for. I’ve read through some of the features on here, but they don’t really interest me.

E.g.

Pre heat oven: I’ll just get up and do it, but I seldom use the oven anyway (2-3 times a month)

Do washing from afar: I just use timers

Lights: Just get up and turn them on

Turning on heating for when I get home: I just turn it on when I get in, or use timers if running a regular schedule

Just don’t have any use for anything smart.

Even speakers - I can’t set multiple timers when cooking, nor can I cancel one and immediately set another in the same sentence. That’s the only use I have for them :p

You don't sound like a big tech fanatic :p

Fridge/freezer
Washing machine
Dishwasher
Kettle

Useful
Heating
Lights
Tv

Every one of them has their uses. The vision for smart homes is also about being greener, efficient, and cost-effective, not just about automating every part of your life. When we all get dumped on electricity tariffs that charge you a dynamic rate by the hour depending on demand (think Octopus Agile), having a connected home where things like washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, vacuums, etc (basically any appliance that costs a significant amount to run) and having the smart home decide when to run the appliance based on energy unit costs.

Yes you've still got to load the dishwasher manually, or load the washing machine manually.

Back
Top Bottom