Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
Just took delivery of the bellroy case. Yes it's pricey but wow fits lovely and feels fantastic. Not normally a fan of cases, but the p6 is so slippy, heavy and unevenly balanced a drop is bound to happen for me :D

Soldato
Talking about cases..I've got my haul of £1-£3 cases. Total £15 with delivery. From AliExpress.

All fit fine and quality is decent too! Keeping the bright orange on for now.

Honestly for £15 I'm happy to try a few cases. The clear tpu one is exactly the same as my £6.99 case from UK? Was 99p I think. Crazy. If anyone wants links to them let me know and I'll share them. The cloudy thin case is hard plastic not TPU.

Soldato
Talking about cases..I've got my haul of £1-£3 cases. Total £15 with delivery. From AliExpress.

All fit fine and quality is decent too! Keeping the bright orange on for now.

Honestly for £15 I'm happy to try a few cases. The clear tpu one is exactly the same as my £6.99 case from UK? Was 99p I think. Crazy. If anyone wants links to them let me know and I'll share them. The cloudy thin case is hard plastic not TPU.

Nice I like the look of fabric one. Please do share links

Soldato
Does anyone else with the Pro find the bottom firing speaker way too strong when used in landscape mode? And there's some sort of weird muddiness to it with certain sounds (as far as I can tell it only happens with really low pitched audio). Sliding the audio balance adjustment in the settings seems to fix it, but that also affects my earphones too. I don't think Google spent enough time properly balancing the two speakers. I only just noticed it when I did a bit of gaming, music and audio seems completely fine.

Associate
I'm sending my Pixel 6 Pro back. Having used it for a week I don't feel its much better (and in some cases worse) than my Pixel 4XL.

Comparing it to the 4XL I am sorely missing some of the features especially the face unlock in combination with Soli radar. The convenience of Soli I always thought was well understated, whilst it is basically a glorified proximity sensor, it does bring many useful quality of life features. My favourite one is how any hand movements towards the phone wakes the screen which makes checking notifications easy and it also starts face unlock detection, so by the time the phone is facing me it has already unlocked. Also hand movements toward the phone when alarms or ringing, it will reduce the sound level.

With the 6Pro it seems very flaky with wireless chargers. I have a wireless charging cradle in the car and no matter how I position it, it refuses to hold a stable connection. Never had a problem with any other phone including several iPhones.
I am also not liking the curved screen on this, not sure why. I have had and used several curved screen phones before including S6Edge, S8, S9+, and Oneplus8Pro and never had a problem with them, but this one seems to constantly miss gesture inputs from me.
Finger print unlock is sooo slow. I don't know why google haven't including face unlock.
Lastly I am getting several odd but annoying bugs, some of them might be to do with Android 12 but some are just very random such as Facebook messenger app crashing when I try to access the emoji panel :confused:

As for the camera system, it is better than the 4XL, but not by much. Having an ultra wide and a high telephoto is nice but I'm not routinely using them. And comparing pictures of the main sensor to the 4XL they appear very similar, so similar in fact I am sure it is 90% AI processing.

All in all, I would rate the 6Pro as 8/10 impressive, very nice, if my previous phone wasn't this 4XL then I would have probably kept it. Let's see how the Pixel 7 does..

Soldato
I'm sending my Pixel 6 Pro back. Having used it for a week I don't feel its much better (and in some cases worse) than my Pixel 4XL.

Comparing it to the 4XL I am sorely missing some of the features especially the face unlock in combination with Soli radar. The convenience of Soli I always thought was well understated, whilst it is basically a glorified proximity sensor, it does bring many useful quality of life features. My favourite one is how any hand movements towards the phone wakes the screen which makes checking notifications easy and it also starts face unlock detection, so by the time the phone is facing me it has already unlocked. Also hand movements toward the phone when alarms or ringing, it will reduce the sound level.

With the 6Pro it seems very flaky with wireless chargers. I have a wireless charging cradle in the car and no matter how I position it, it refuses to hold a stable connection. Never had a problem with any other phone including several iPhones.
I am also not liking the curved screen on this, not sure why. I have had and used several curved screen phones before including S6Edge, S8, S9+, and Oneplus8Pro and never had a problem with them, but this one seems to constantly miss gesture inputs from me.
Finger print unlock is sooo slow. I don't know why google haven't including face unlock.
Lastly I am getting several odd but annoying bugs, some of them might be to do with Android 12 but some are just very random such as Facebook messenger app crashing when I try to access the emoji panel :confused:

As for the camera system, it is better than the 4XL, but not by much. Having an ultra wide and a high telephoto is nice but I'm not routinely using them. And comparing pictures of the main sensor to the 4XL they appear very similar, so similar in fact I am sure it is 90% AI processing.

All in all, I would rate the 6Pro as 8/10 impressive, very nice, if my previous phone wasn't this 4XL then I would have probably kept it. Let's see how the Pixel 7 does..

The 4xl was nice but soli is dead, the face unlock is not supported by any app ? So made it useless. I get what you mean on the curved screen. Have you considered trying the standard p6 ?

Associate
The 4xl was nice but soli is dead, the face unlock is not supported by any app ? So made it useless. I get what you mean on the curved screen. Have you considered trying the standard p6 ?

Yes Soli is dead but that's just the radar gestures. Face unlock is separate and Android sees it the same as any other biometric security so it works exactly the same with all apps and payment as finger print unlock does.

I did consider the Pixel 6 but I am very anal about screen resolution, even more than screen refresh on phones. I can't deal with 1080 when I've been using 1440 since the S6Edge from 2015

Soldato
Yes Soli is dead but that's just the radar gestures. Face unlock is separate and Android sees it the same as any other biometric security so it works exactly the same with all apps and payment as finger print unlock does.

I did consider the Pixel 6 but I am very anal about screen resolution, even more than screen refresh on phones. I can't deal with 1080 when I've been using 1440 since the S6Edge from 2015

You must be lucky, none of my bank apps worked with the 4xl Face unlock and had to use pins

Soldato

Really? Resolution has not been a thing for me for the last 4-5 years really. Since 1080 I have not worried about ppi.

Back
Top Bottom