BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
When I did briefly look at the F90 I preferred the non LCI dials and other bits about it. Never got around to driving either though.

Just noticed this post. What stopped you looking into the F90?

I’ve just been to see a fully loaded 2018 F80 M3 competition. Despite the awesome colour - San Merino blue? - I was rather disappointed; the interior felt quite dated and a bit, well cheap tbh. The doors felt very light and it just didn’t feel as solid as I expected. Jumping into an F90 10 mins later and it more or less made the decision for me.

The M3 will be far more agile and is probably a better pure driving tool, but I certainly feel the extra outlay for the M5 feels justified in what you get over the M3.

Soldato
Soldato

I’ve just been to see a fully loaded 2018 F80 M3 competition. Despite the awesome colour - San Merino blue? - I was rather disappointed; the interior felt quite dated and a bit, well cheap tbh. The doors felt very light and it just didn’t feel as solid as I expected. Jumping into an F90 10 mins later and it more or less made the decision for me.

The M3 will be far more agile and is probably a better pure driving tool, but I certainly feel the extra outlay for the M5 feels justified in what you get over the M3.
They are generationally massively different and it's no surprise really that an F80 M3 is dated inside
Have you sat in a G20 e.g. M340i or are you after an M car

Soldato
They are generationally massively different and it's no surprise really that an F80 M3 is dated inside
Have you sat in a G20 e.g. M340i or are you after an M car

Yes, you are quite right it wasn’t a fair comparison really. However with some low mileage F80 M3s currently retailing at 50k+ and F90 non comps around 60k+ it becomes a little easier for me to compare the two.

I haven’t tried a G20, which would have been the right model for comparison. However I’m really after an M car and these two are in budget.

Man of Honour

I wanted a weekend drivers car that I can do track days in now and then. I do probably 2k a year so I ruled the M5 out. If I did more miles and more longer journeys I’d have gone for the M5.

Soldato
I wanted a weekend drivers car that I can do track days in now and then. I do probably 2k a year so I ruled the M5 out. If I did more miles and more longer journeys I’d have gone for the M5.

Fair enough, the M3 makes sense if track days are involved. I’ll likely only do around 3k a year, which was one of the reasons I felt the M5 would work for me. If i did a lot of miles I think the fuel costs alone would put me off.

Man of Honour
Yes, you are quite right it wasn’t a fair comparison really. However with some low mileage F80 M3s currently retailing at 50k+ and F90 non comps around 60k+ it becomes a little easier for me to compare the two

I don't think there is any sensible comparison of the two. If your budget is 50k it shouldn't be anywhere near an F80 and if it's an F80 you want I'd want to be spending much less.

Soldato
I don't think there is any sensible comparison of the two. If your budget is 50k it shouldn't be anywhere near an F80 and if it's an F80 you want I'd want to be spending much less.

Maybe it isn’t a sensible comparison as such; I’d previously wanted an F80 and the opportunity arose this weekend. Upon being somewhat disappointed I then looked at the F90, as there was one there and it felt more inline with my expectations.

It’s maybe not the traditional approach to car buying where you have a set requirement and budget, but there you go.

Man of Honour
So you have 25K to spend and you want an estate and ideally a 3L 6 cylinder, what do you buy?

I keep looking at F10 535D Touring models which though I know are a superb car they are still carrying toppy prices for a good one. I did find an ideal car with Active etc but that was 30K and that is madness for a car of that age....or is it?

Discuss

Man of Honour
30k for an F10 is absolutely ridiculous and I say that as a huge fan of them. I don't think I'd be happy paying more than 20k for one these days. I really like mine but I've had it years!

If I had 30k I'd probably try to find a G31.

Soldato
Soldato
So you have 25K to spend and you want an estate and ideally a 3L 6 cylinder, what do you buy?

I keep looking at F10 535D Touring models which though I know are a superb car they are still carrying toppy prices for a good one. I did find an ideal car with Active etc but that was 30K and that is madness for a car of that age....or is it?

Discuss
A4 3.0TDI? :p

Man of Honour
It's 6 year old 7 series for 30 thousand quid, I don't think you need worry about someone buying it.

Given what people are paying for far worse cars, seems alright to me.

Not a good time to buying at the moment full stop though really.

A decent 3 litre G31 Estate will likely be over 30k, nevermind 25.

Man of Honour
Sold an F11 535d LCI with a huge number of options a few years ago for £16k.. it's nuts at the moment
Which shows what the marketplace is like right now, crazy.

I want something with space in the back and I like the idea of an estate as I have stuff I really could do with shifting now and again so the space is worthwhile. I have the impractical car so need something that provides lugging space. I have family in Devon for example, have stuff I need to take down there (exercise bike, table, jet wash etc etc) and it's been sitting around. I could get a courier but old parents means that adds complexity due to where they live and access etc.

Back
Top Bottom