Show us your kitty cats

Associate
Our rescue Salem. 18 months, 6.4kg. Proper panther.

PXL_20211108_171614336.jpg

ljt

ljt

Soldato
He isn't a young cat he is 15. It's just bizarre that is is pooping in it but peeing on the floor. I've tried cleaning and also putting bleach all around the edge of the room but that hasn't helped either. I'll try the tin foil but just worried he'll just pee elsewhere. He was fine before we moved and was ok to start with after the move. The only new thing is a higher sided litter tray as the other cat(also 15) was peeing over the edges as he wasn't crouching enough.

While not a solution for the peeing somewhere different, I do have one for the peeing over the edge (which mine started to do as they got older) I bought some puppy training pads and put one or two at either end and any misses were caught on them instead and can then just be thrown away and save the floor/smell from staying around!

Soldato
While not a solution for the peeing somewhere different, I do have one for the peeing over the edge (which mine started to do as they got older) I bought some puppy training pads and put one or two at either end and any misses were caught on them instead and can then just be thrown away and save the floor/smell from staying around!
We sorted the peeing over the edge with the higher sided litter tray. But now the other cat won't pee in it at all. Can't can't be frightened of it as pooping in it just fine.

Soldato
My little cat Frank who's only 1 year old has just been diagnosed with FIP ! Horrendous.
We now have to make the horrible choice of pay for the treatment (upwards of £4k) or let him pass from it. Going to have to sell my soul somehow!

Soldato
OP
Loving all the kitty pictures. Has anyone started putting up Christmas decorations yet? My two are proper little terrors getting into the Christmas tree and chasing ball balls etc.

Soldato
OP
My little cat Frank who's only 1 year old has just been diagnosed with FIP ! Horrendous.
We now have to make the horrible choice of pay for the treatment (upwards of £4k) or let him pass from it. Going to have to sell my soul somehow!
I'm sorry to hear that. I always dread taking my cats annually to the vets for a check up, worrying if they're going to discover some form of abnormality.

Man of Honour

Ouch. That’s a lot of cash.

I'm sorry to hear that. I always dread taking my cats annually to the vets for a check up, worrying if they're going to discover some form of abnormality.

Yes, same.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that. Such a difficult decision. I take it you don't have insurance?
We do have insurance, but I stupidly got a policy with a £2k per year claim limit as I figured a housecat would be ok with this. We have already spent £2.9k on blood tests/ ultrasound / X-Rays to try and diagnose the problem as it's really hard to diagnose (Dry FIP) so that is the insurance tapped out. There is a treatment you can do through the vets which is essentially Remdesivir but its twice the cost of the alternative we have found.

We have had some progress though - the vet suggested that we look at a page on Facebook - FIP Warriors which is a whole community of people in the same boat. There is a black market treatment that is having amazing success rates (95% roughly) and whilst still expensive it will be in manageable chunks over the next 12 weeks. We started injecting him this morning after I went and picked up some of the supplies and vials last night and fingers crossed by the end of Feb he should be cured. It's going to be difficult though as its daily injections, which apparently sting a bit due to their acidity. He was not a happy cat this morning and as soon as he susses the routine he will probably start hiding!

I was really sceptical about using a non vet-based treatment at first but after meeting someone in person (and their cured cat) it was an easy decision to make as if we do nothing he would 100% be gone. Hopefully nobody's cat here will ever have this issue but if you do please feel free to reach out as I am more than happy to help.

Signs to look out for are very vague and could relate to other things, but its usually in cats under 3, pure breds are more susceptible. Frank's coat got into a really bad state, he had stopped grooming properly and lost about half a kilo from a reduced appetite so we took him in to the vets. It was then when they did the blood tests and noticed his Amulin/Globulin ratio was low at 0.4 so they did more tests. It can onset really quickly so you have to act immediately.

Soldato
I just had a read up on it. Difficult to diagnose and treatments not very promising. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Frank that this treatment does the job.
We're only 2 days in but so far it's like a different cat - his energy is back to normal levels and is running around playing like a nutter as before. It's going to be a long journey as the course is for 84 days but we're really hopeful now! It's going to be expensive but I have a lot of things lying around the house I can sell to pay for it.
Article on it here for any interested parties - https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/05/remdesivir-cats/611341/

Back
Top Bottom