Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

I might just apply for an Amazon Credit card for the free £40 gift card to be honest.

I have many credit cards, each with different perks.
You have to be a 24 karat moron to be buying things on credit cards and not clear them each month, so I have no worries over how 'scummy' the credit card provider may be.

Caporegime
yea but it's just an example of another payment method taking away VISA marketshare.
I did say "crypto and other ways to pay"

I didn't mean crypto and ways to pay using crypto currencies

Whenever I go to a student tesco nearly everyone is paying with their phone.

seems slower than using a debit card but whatever

You'll find that many of them don't carry wallets now.

Caporegime
You'll find that many of them don't carry wallets now.
someone should make a phone that has a small slot to hold a card, could even have it shielded.

seems like such a useful feature that would take up almost no space.

I guess it's not in the best interests of apple and google though

Soldato
I might just apply for an Amazon Credit card for the free £40 gift card to be honest.

You have to be a 24 karat moron to be buying things on credit cards and not clear them each month, so I have no worries over how 'scummy' the credit card provider may be.

I only have 1 credit card, but always pay it off instantly, however I really don't want to have to open another account for a credit card. I might just not bother with amazon at all.

Soldato
notice in shops all the younguns paying with mobile phones? does visa get a cut?

Never used googlepay/applypay or whatever it is so wouldn't know.

I'm guessing it's linked to a bank account like direct debit style or something?

Yes visa, or any other payment processing firm will get a cut. AFAIK Apple/google also get a small % of the transaction fee, visa or whoever still process the payment.

Soldato
i have an amazon card and its fine. You dont get a lot of points but a voucher every so often is nice.
I pay off every month and never had a problem.

Caporegime

Do you use all the cards or do some sit on zero balance for a long time?

Soldato
yea but it's just an example of another payment method taking away VISA marketshare.
I did say "crypto and other ways to pay"

It completely depends on what method is used to pay. E.g. I have my Visa debit card set up as the payment method on my phone. It is literally the same as using my physical card, except the card is a virtual one and the contactless chip is emulated by my phone's NFC hardware. I can't see any reason why Visa wouldn't get exactly the same cut as they would if I used my physical card.

seems slower than using a debit card but whatever

It really isn't
  • Take phone out of pocket
  • Hold phone next to card reader
  • Put phone back in pocket
vs
  • Take wallet out of pocket
  • Take card out of wallet
  • Hold card next to card reader
  • Put card back in wallet
  • Put wallet back in pocket
It's even quicker when using e.g. my supermarket points card:
  • Tap points card shortcut
  • Scan barcode on phone screen
  • Hold phone next to card reader to pay
vs
  • Take wallet out of pocket
  • Take points card out of wallet
  • Scan barcode on points card
  • Put points card back in wallet
  • Take payment card out of wallet
  • Hold payment card next to card reader
  • Put payment card back in wallet
  • Put wallet back in pocket

Caporegime
It really isn't
  • Hold phone next to card reader
I see them fiddling with the screen sometimes so they must have to turn the phone on, go to the app or whatever.

IDK how they are paying though if it's scanning a screen or reading a chip

Soldato
I will just use my debit card, I only make the occasional purchase anyway, and its only normally a small sum of money, I think credit card is wiser if the purchase is over £100??
I also don't have any subscriptions with them.

I will also look elsewhere for things, so well done amazon, certainly not going to be sucked in to using there own credit card.

Soldato
I see them fiddling with the screen sometimes so they must have to turn the phone on, go to the app or whatever.

Then they are idiots and don't have it set up correctly (and are probably the same people who would spend 10 minutes fiddling with the card reader and putting their card in it upside down if they had to use chip & pin, or look surprised when they get to the till and are asked for money and try to pay with 2 bags of 5ps and a Deutschmark :p)

Soldato
Then they are idiots and don't have it set up correctly (and are probably the same people who would spend 10 minutes fiddling with the card reader and putting their card in it upside down if they had to use chip & pin, or look surprised when they get to the till and are asked for money and try to pay with 2 bags of 5ps and a Deutschmark :p)
Came here to say this lol. At least the phone is in their hand!

Soldato
OP
Not everyone carrys a wallet with cards now a days. I do because it has mine and GFs joint card but most people just carry a phone.

Tapping a phone on a screen then tilting it to use faceID to complete authentication is much quicker than carrying a wallet and messing around getting cards out.
Apple Wallet you can store all the cards / passes you need

Soldato

IDK how they are paying though if it's scanning a screen or reading a chip
Phone is definitely much easier and quicker than card. All it needs is to unlock with my fingerprint which takes a second

Back
Top Bottom