General household laptop @£600?

Associate
Hello all, advise please I am after a laptop and im not really sure what specs I should be aiming for. It will primarily be used by my daughter (13) for school work, general internet, you tube, netflix, roblox, minecraft. I dont really know my laptop specs so advise on the best processor, screen, ?8GB ram? what sort of size SDD. Dont really want to spend more than £600 but certainly want it to run all the usual microsoft packages easily for a while.

What should I be aiming for around this price point please.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
Hello all, advise please I am after a laptop and im not really sure what specs I should be aiming for. It will primarily be used by my daughter (13) for school work, general internet, you tube, netflix, roblox, minecraft. I dont really know my laptop specs so advise on the best processor, screen, ?8GB ram? what sort of size SDD. Dont really want to spend more than £600 but certainly want it to run all the usual microsoft packages easily for a while.

Thanks in advance.

here's what ive recently bought from lenova :

Have you had a look at =- go for the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro Gen 6 (16" AMD) - normal price is £799.99- i just got this 1 week ago - found a discount coupon code on daily mail - £649.99

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900H -16" 2.5K (2560 x 1440) 60Hz, 350 nits, 100% sRGB, 72% NTSC
16gb ram - 3200,
1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
nvidia 1650 graphics card
2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1, 1 x USB Type-C(full function), 1 x square DC in, HDMI 1.4b, SD card reader, Headphone / mic combo

Soldato

Have you had a look at =- go for the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro Gen 6 (16" AMD) - normal price is £799.99- i just got this 1 week ago - found a discount coupon code on daily mail - £649.99

16gb ram - 3200,
1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1, 1 x USB Type-C(full function), 1 x square DC in, HDMI 1.4b, SD card reader, Headphone / mic combo

Do you have that code?

Soldato

Thanks in advance.

You don't need Lenevo pro, ideapad5 will be ok not sure about Minecraft.

There's gaming 3 ideapad, that has six core with dedicated so that's probably good idea as don't want vram used from system

Associate
OP

16gb ram - 3200,
1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
Thankyou looks good. Im really out of touch with laptops so just want to get the best I can for the money. Will have a butchers.

Soldato
HP 15s-eq2510sa looks a sensible spec and you can upgrade the RAM and SSD yourself if necessary in the future. My wife has an earlier model and it's very pleasant to use.

Associate
Special offer on the ideapad 5 pro
Pity just 60hz..the 120hz is pretty expensive

No way rozaa got ryzen 9 for £650.
sorry i was mistaken i was looking at the wrong ram spec 8gb, i got the 16gbwhich was for £683.00 plus vat at £136.67 - that offer code was actually for £100 off - so total £787.67.

But now the same spec laptop with no offer code is now going for £769 on thr website = bargain

Soldato
The above laptop i mentioned is on a deal just for today - on now for £769.99 -from £899 with no offer code - on lenova website - if u can find a a discount code - should be getting it for round £650-£700 which is great

yeah I saw that, but it's not ryzen 9 it's ryzen 7. Good deal, the only thing letting it down on the range is RAM is soldered, and the one at £770 is just 60hz screen.

Might be better to go the cheapest Legion, it's a six core but it has better GPU and higher frequency screen, plus upgradable RAM slots- and use new discount 10% off (only £50 more)

82JS005LUK

The jump to £1500 is way too much though, might as well get legion for that, and if you're spending that sort of money might as well get Legion 7.

Last edited:
Associate
yeah I saw that, but it's not ryzen 9 it's ryzen 7. Good deal, the only thing letting it down on the range is RAM is soldered, and the one at £770 is just 60hz screen.

Might be better to go the cheapest Legion, it's a six core but it has better GPU and higher frequency screen, plus upgradable RAM slots- and use new discount 10% off.

82JS005LUK

that's good, the one i listed is not for gaming- it can game , but for mainly medium end graphics work.

Go for what you need, be good to hear what you get at the end

Soldato
that's good, the one i listed is not for gaming- it can game , but for mainly medium end graphics work.

Go for what you need, be good to hear what you get at the end

yeah it's a good powerful machine, good CPU, enough RAM, dedicated GPU etc. with dedicated RAM but not too powerful (heat, power) you may not need that much but want better than IGP, backlit keys, decent IPS high rez screen. If it had upgradeable RAM would be perfect, I really dislike the idea of non upgradeable RAM. You can't upgrade CPU, GPU, screen so at least think offer slotted RAM or spare internal slot so soldered+ slot. Just would be good if it had 100hz screen with freesync/g-sync not relying on inferior v-sync method.

16GB should be enough for many years though.

Associate
OP
All thanks for this info, been a bit stuck this week to look but plenty of time this weekend to look at the options. At least it seems at this price point there are some good options.

Associate
OP
Starting to go blind looking at all these options. Some deals on HP pavillions 14/15inch, lenovo idea pad 5/5i and the lenovo gaming 3 (all around £500-600 mark). Think its horses for courses. All come with 512 SDD, 8GB ram and combinations of i5 1th gen and ryzen 5. Am i looking too hard now or is there an obvious choice?

Soldato
Starting to go blind looking at all these options. Some deals on HP pavillions 14/15inch, lenovo idea pad 5/5i and the lenovo gaming 3 (all around £500-600 mark). Think its horses for courses. All come with 512 SDD, 8GB ram and combinations of i5 1th gen and ryzen 5. Am i looking too hard now or is there an obvious choice?

The ideapad 3 gaming is pretty good, has upgrade path for drives and RAM etc. Just the basic screen 60hz, not freesync/gsync, 45%. Ideapad 5 was good offer with 16GB but again basic screen 60hz (better colours etc) but to gree decent sync then looking at the higher end ideapad 5, or legion.

Back
Top Bottom